Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic - Day by Day

Comments

• Options
    15th April

1927: Plymouth's Fred Craig becomes the first ever goalkeeper to score against Charlton.
    1944: Charlton beat Chelsea 3-1 (Welsh, Revell) to win The War Cup.
  • Options
    16th April

1907: James Yardley born. 26 goals in 52 appearances for The Addicks.
  • Options
    17th April

2001: Despite playing with 10 men for best part of an hour after Rufus' sending off, Kinsella scored in the 89th minute to put Charlton 3-2 up against Aston Villa. Sadly Hendrie got an equaliser in the 90th.
  • Options
    18th April

1925: Charlton 5 (Wilson 2, Rees, Cox, Allen) Aberdare 1
    1956: Chris Jones born. Possibly the only Charlton player to have been born of the Channel Islands. Unless, of course, you know different.
    2009: Charlton relegated to League 1 following a 2-2 draw with Blackpool.
    http://www.photoblog.com/Jarvo/2009/04/18/153-that-sinking-feeling-charlton-ath-2-blackpool-2.html
  • Options
    19th April

1898: James Thompson born. Just two games for Charlton, both as an amateur. But as a scout with Chelsea, he discovered Jimmy Greaves.
    1992: Nick Pope born.
  • Options
    20th April

1987: Just 5,595 visit Selhurst Park to watch Charlton beat Aston Villa 3-0 (Shirtliff, Stuart, Melrose).
  • Options
    24th March

1987: Charlton gain an unwanted record as their match at home to Oxford is the lowest ever for the First Division; just 4,205. This record was soon after taken by Wimbledon.

I went to this game too! (bet there's not too many claiming to be at that game)
    Sadly I was there.....Didnt mis hardly any games at all back then

• Options
    I remember fires at both ends of the ground & wrecking the Valley Club & Harvey Gardens turnstyles.
    But I don't remember them invading the pitch.
    A game to remember for all the wrong reasons...Chelski minus Abramovich and his cash were in the Covered end early, singing Charlton songs cue it all kicking off...the masses of Chelsea at the South Terrance all then surged around the East Terrace where I got interogated twice having already been chased out of the CE...the second one ended up with a geezer pulling a bayonet from inside his DMs.....I got chased right up the Est Terrace and had to climb the Sam Bartam gate to escape. Ripped the arm on my leather jacket too.
  • Options
    21st April

1979: Keith Peacock's 591st and final game for us. This remains the record for an outfield player. A 0-0 draw with West Ham. Protest banners up reading "25 years of Sweet FA". I remember this was a bit of personal learning for me as I'd never heard the term Sweet FA before. I asked my dad what it meant and he smirked and said, "Sweet Fanny Adams". I knew that there was something more behind it, so I kept on badgering him. Eventually he leaned over and whispered the real meaning in my ear. I grew up a little bit that day, thanks to a chronic lack of investment in the club.
    2012: CHAMPIONS!!!
  • Options
    22nd April

1899: Harry Kirk Born. Played eight games for The Addicks in the 1920s but soon left for New Brighton after getting abuse from the Charlton fans.
    1989: Charlton 1 (Reid pen) Man Utd 0
    http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/6553/the-week-that-was-22nd-april-1989-charlton-1-man-utd-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    23rd April

1921: Charlie Vaughan born. 94 goals in 238 appearances.
    1994: Charlton 5 Peterborough 1. Garry Nelson's first hat-trick. Leaburn and Pardew got the other goals.
  • Options
    23rd April

1994: Charlton 5 Peterborough 1. Garry Nelson's first hat-trick. Leaburn and Pardew got the other goals.
    possibly the smallest away following at the valley for a 2nd tier match ;-0
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    24th April

2000: A 1-1 draw a Ewood Park is sufficient to see Charlton as Champions. Matt Svensson got the all important goal, this made up for him giving away their penalty.
  • Options
    didn't realise svensson scored that day

what joyous scenes
  • Options
    25th April

1922: Edwin Rees played his final match for Charlton. 14 goals in 64 games.
  • Options
    26th April

1941: Don Welsh plays for England v Wales in a wartime friendly at Nottingham. He scores all four of England's goals in a 4-1 victory.
    1947: Charlton beat Burnley 1-0 to win the FA Cup, Chris Duffy netting the winner.
    http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-cup-final-11
    2008: Jonjo Shelvey plays a full 90 minutes at Oakwell to become Charlton's youngest ever first team player; aged just 16 years and 59 days.
  • Options
    27th April

1974: Peter Reeves played his final game for Charlton. Colin Powell scoring in a 3-1 at Vale Park. Reeves retired through injury at the tender age of 24 years, 23 days. He was the youngest Charlton player to be forced into retirement so early. He had already made 293 appearances by that age.
  • Options
    28th April

2007:
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    29th April

2000: First division trophy paraded at The Valley, despite Ipswich beating us.
  • Options
    30th April

1933: Birth of Stuart Leary. 163 goals in 403 appearances for Charlton. 16,517 runs and 146 wickets for Kent.
    1953: Sam Bartram plays his 467th league match surpassing Everton's Ted Sagar's record (of the time) for playing more league games than any other player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2012
    1st May

1937: Charlton beat Brentford 2-1 to finish as runners up in Division 1 in their first year in the competition. Charlton had the sixth best attendance record in Division one and set a record for the most meteoric rise in the football league.
  • Options
    2nd May

1936: A 1-1 draw with Port Vale provided the point Charlton needed for promotion to the First Division for the first time. Charlton were unbeaten at home for the whole of the 1935-36 season. Port Vale were relegated.
    1945: Keith Peacock born.
  • Options
    3rd May

1986: From 2-0 down, Charlton beat Carlisle 3-2 (Tolmie o.g., Stuart, Aizlewood) to win promotion to the First Division (when First meant First).
    1990: 14,838 votes for The Valley Party.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    4th May

1929: Charlton beat Walsall 2-0 at Fellows Park to win the 3rd Division South, bettering Crystal Palace on goal average. In those days only one team was promoted, so as well as going up we kept the Palace down.
    1935: Ralph Allen scores in a 2-2 draw with Reading at Elm Park. It is his 32nd goal of the season, the most scored by any Charlton player in the league in one season. That's no slack-achievement for a player whose debut was on 27th October that season. His record that still stands and is one of the few not to have been beaten this year.
    1987: Newcastle 0 Charlton 3. Charlton's goal scorers, Miller, Crooks and Leaburn each got their first goals for the club.
    1991: Last 'home' league game at Selhurst. 1-1 draw against West Ham, Scott Minto scoring. Dowie appeared for the Hammers.
    2008: Chris Powell is carried shoulder high from the pitch after scoring against Coventry City. At 38 years and 239 days, he becomes Charlton's oldest first team scorer. Varney, Gray and Basey were Charlton's other scorers in a 4-1 victory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biF7XGPmMus
  • Options
    5th May

1923: Goalkeeper Fred Wood becomes Charlton's first ever-present player.
    1979: Charlton avoid relegation on the last day of the season by beating Oldham 2-0 (Robinson 2). Post match protests. To date, our only ever win on this day.

• Options
    5th May

1923: Goalkeeper Fred Wood becomes Charlton's first ever-present player.
    1979: Charlton avoid relegation on the last day of the season by beating Oldham 2-0 (Robinson 2). Post match protests. To date, our only ever win on this day.

2012: Our second ever win on this date. And what a way to do it!
  • Options
    6th May

1936: Harold Hobbis gets his first England cap versus Austria at the Praterstadion, Vienna. Unfortunately England lose 2-1.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    7th May

2006:
  • Options
    little did they know , what was to follow
    well i had an idea but didn't think it'd be that bad !
  • Options
    8th May

1968: Paul Mortimer born.
    1999: Villa 3 Charlton 4 (Barry o.g., Mendonca, Robinson, Mills)
    2004: 3-3 draw at Elland Rd is enough to relegate Leeds.