Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The kid who got shot

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite
    A mate does a lot of youth work in Charlton - when the youth club in Rathmore Road is open, the crime rate on the Cherry Orchard Estate goes down. It ain't rocket science.

i'm sure that youth groups have some part to play but they cannot be open 24hrs.
    too often the yellow boards go up around the charlton triangle area relating to incidents occuring in the early hours, (a point mentioned by buckshee).
  • Options
    ah well
    back to the 'how to quote' thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Posted By: Ledge Knows
    I would love to go to the pub lunchtime -

but got the bike. i blame ken livingstone for forcing me off public transport -

Arfur, is it me or are the majority of your posts these days just very sad attempts at getting Rothko to bite?

Not really but what the hell has it to do with you if i was. You are being a tad over the top as well saying MAJORITY of my posts don't exaggerate fella.

i take you back to your little digs at me about do i referee cos I can't play football - don't preach at me about things you have done.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    i'm sure that youth groups have some part to play but they cannot be open 24hrs.
    too often the yellow boards go up around the charlton triangle area relating to incidents occuring in the early hours, (a point mentioned by buckshee).[/cite]

Wouldn't argue with you on that, but it's a start, and it's something that's doable, and is proven to have an effect.

The harder nuts to crack are bad parenting and all that, when you're already dealing with damaged goods - you could have curfews for under-18s, for example, but then some would complain you're punishing them just for being young.
  • Options
    I saw a New Yellow Board up in charlton Church Lane last night - there were gunshots fired from a moving car at 2am at the weekend. Nice.
  • Options
    My dads been help running a football group this week on the cherry orchard (with some amazing help from CAFC he tells me) and apparently the EXACT same kids we see day in day out milling around, stealing from kams and generally being a bunch of prats are actually being really helpful with the group and generally being nice kids.

Amazing, how can someone go from being a total **** to being someone who wants to spend time helping a church football group.

Just goes to show if maybe a little more was put on it might help stop some of the crime in SE7, I know it shouldn't have to be done, but we certainly need it.
  • Options
    Was my childminder's kids sports day yesterday...childminder took my son along to watch (he's 2 and a half)...the event was held on the fields opposite the Ferrier at Kidbrooke (school is John Roan)...towards the end a load of kids came off the estate and started threatening the kids from the school, who are enjoying their sports day, with iron bars and the like....police called but didn't want to know...teachers panicking etc etc...no-one hurt in the end (or so I have been told), but what the bloody hell is going on when kids can't even have a sports day at the end of term without being threatened by a bunch of 15 year olds??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]Was my childminder's kids sports day yesterday...childminder took my son along to watch (he's 2 and a half)...the event was held on the fields opposite the Ferrier at Kidbrooke (school is John Roan)...towards the end a load of kids came off the estate and started threatening the kids from the school, who are enjoying their sports day, with iron bars and the like....police called but didn't want to know...teachers panicking etc etc...no-one hurt in the end (or so I have been told), but what the bloody hell is going on when kids can't even have a sports day at the end of term without being threatened by a bunch of 15 year olds??

But didnt that happen in your day Charlie? Hurstmere fighting Chis N Sid, Picady fighting Erith. There were always groups of kids going to fight other kids ... I was too busy coaching the girls Basketball team ;)
  • Options
    Yes, but the difference was it was usually between two sets of willing participants rather than a tooled up gang deciding to lord it at a sports day - wasn't it? Actually come to think of it...
  • Options
    Did anyone hear about the incident on Charlton Church Lane on Saturday night!shots fired from a car!what is this country coming to!madness!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riscardo has a point though HH, there were always school v school rumblings going on.

The major difference (IMO) is thatnow:

1. the level of violence has escalated to a higher level with the use of knives and guns
    2. The amount of those involved in trouble appears to be greater
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]Did anyone hear about the incident on Charlton Church Lane on Saturday night!shots fired from a car!what is this country coming to!madness!

er yes that was what i posted above.

and no to the other points, i dont remember gangs turning up on sports days when the other kids are supervised by parents, it was kept away from where adults were going to be as you would get into trouble.
  • Options
    I know what you mean AFKA,last saturday morning i went up to the village to get a few things from the shops!a bloke i would say in his early 30's demanded a fag off me!i just blanked him and he said he would put a blade in me!he was out of his head and this was at about 10.30am!i got some drycleaning out and walked into the coop and he was staggering about as i walked into the door!i walked straight up to him to have it out with him and he ran off!i really wished i had called the police now!
    Some evil nutters about!very very sad people!
  • Options
    All this is the whole reason why Mrs CD and I are thinking of leaving the country..... I'm and Englishman, love my country, but it just isn't the country I want my kid(s) to grow up in for so many reasons...Gangs, crime, education, NHS, Tax, social politics, PC etc

The country has changed beyond recognition in the last 10 years and whilst yes we're better off than we've ever been and yes the country is economically strong it just doesn't feel like a society anymore... Its not my home!

I'm sad to say it but I think its gonna get a lot worse before it gets any better!
  • Options
    Cant say i blame you Charlton Dan!and yes it is getting worse
  • Options
    Another 20 year old was shot on barnfield, there are yellow boards up all over the place!

was probably a nice boy at heart, and goes to church!
  • Options
    Dan, know exactly where you're coming from mate and have thought the same myself, trouble is everywhere's got its problems, it's just that you don't hear about them so much...

Personally can see myself leaving London (especially when it comes to secondary school age for CC Jnr), but not sure where I'd go....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]All this is the whole reason why Mrs CD and I are thinking of leaving the country..... I'm and Englishman, love my country, but it just isn't the country I want my kid(s) to grow up in for so many reasons...Gangs, crime, education, NHS, Tax, social politics, PC etc

The country has changed beyond recognition in the last 10 years and whilst yes we're better off than we've ever been and yes the country is economically strong it just doesn't feel like a society anymore... Its not myhome!

I'm sad to say it but I think its gonna get a lot worse before it gets any better!

I think that great swathes of the country are probably still the same as they always were Dan, but mainly rural communities and smaller towns. These people just wouldn't believe some of the stuff that goes on in big cities like London where - lets face it - if you go as long as a day without seeing a beggar, druggie, dosser, shouty nutter, a punch up or something of that ilk you are probably doing well. I really do fear for the world my son is growning up into and what things will be like when he hits his teenage years.
  • Options
    Think your outlook may change once you have kids.

I don't, so don't fully go along with the whole country going to the dogs thing. The is a small problem that has escalated in the last ten years of the amount of anti-social behaviour from youngsters, but a lot of this goes in cycles (mods / rockers etc). Yes i agree this country is less safe to live in now than it was ten years ago, but then so is everywhere in the world.

But in general, for standard / cost of living, work and education opportunities, transport and infrastructure, i don't think there are many better than the UK, and the South East in particular. Certainly nothing there enough to make the massive decision to move away from loved friends and family.

I think a lot of the problems we have had in the past decade or so have come from poor parenting and the amount of choices / greed people now have in their lives.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]Dan, know exactly where you're coming from mate and have thought the same myself, trouble is everywhere's got its problems, it's just that you don't hear about them so much...

Personally can see myself leaving London (especially when it comes to secondary school age for CC Jnr), but not sure where I'd go....

We're thinking of jacking the whole rat race thing in as both the Mrs and I earn what should offer us a very comfortable standard of living, yet still feel skint all the time due to the various stealth taxes, bi-annual increases in travel costs (only to get worse now Labour have halved the subsidies to the rail industry, whilst insisting that the network goes through a major overhaul that the commuter will have to pay for) introducing schemes such as the C Charge, removing various tax breaks, skimming off my pension savings etc and going to somewhere like Turkey and opening a restaurant / bar.

Yes we wont earn as much but will we be happier? Will we have more quality of life in not having to work 10 hours a day just to make ends meet and then slog home on a packed train with no hope of seat just in time to put my daughter to bed? I hope so.......Cos even as a staunch Tory I just cant see it being any different under any party.

I think that the general disillusionment of my generation will back fire massively on this country and more and more "English" people, the backbone of both the economy and society, now and for the next 20 yrs, decide that the country no longer offers them equality, value for money or a decent standard of living, leaving it with a significant labour pool of people (both immigrants and indigenous) who have just come to this country with the expectation of getting a council flat and dole money or are born into a mentality were the social hand out is an acceptable form of income.

This is an attitude and these are issues we just didn't have (or seemed to have) before Labour came in and quite frankly its bollocks!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I couldn't have said that any better Dan
  • Options
    Again, totally agree with you Dan and I know that so many others do too (why else are there all the 'New life in the country', 'Buy a property abroad' etc if people aren't interested?)..

I think that the whole quality of life question really gets put into perspective when you have kids....I'd do anything to be able to spend more time with my son, but as it is, he's whisked away at 8am each morning and then I collect him to put him to bed and pay a small fortune for the pleasure...

My brother has bought a place in France and is running a B&B after years in finance, as is my best mate, whilst others are all sellng up, moving out (Suffolk, Yorkshire) and doing what they can....

Good luck to you.
  • Options
    That's why I moved to Cornwall.............
  • Options
    Went looking in eynsford last week...
  • Options
    Dan, CC, if that's whats genuinely best for you, then go ahead and do it. The danger is you will fall into the trip of staying here and moaning about this place and threatening to leave for the next twenty years. Don't be one of those because they bore the pants off everyone.

And, without being personal, be 100% sure on your reasons for doing it. If its genuinely because 'this place is the pits', then fine. If its deep down a more fundamental problem, unhappiness in a relationship, work, yourself, but can't address it, then don't expect anything to be any different once the honeymoon period wears off. A lot of people end up making 'the big move' for entirely the wrong reasons.

And if you moan about ten hour days and then think about opening up a bar / restaurant / b+b, then you're in for a very rude awakening !!
  • Options
    I'm the same with my daughter CC.

I drop her off at Breakfast Club at 7.45am, Missus picks her up from the childminder at 6.30pm (charging £4.50 an hour), I get home at 7-7.30pm. Shes in bed by 7.45pm and I'm so knackered that when I get home all I want to do is have a beer, something to eat and the be in bed myself by 10.30pm.... And then the weekend (non Charlton weekends aside) are spent catching up with household stuff I haven't got the time or energy to do time to do during the week

Quality of life? PAH!

Good luck to you too mate.

Disillusioned Dan from Sidcup ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]And if you moan about ten hour days and then think about opening up a bar / restaurant / b+b, then you're in for a very rude awakening !!

Granted but its not the hours that are the issue. Its the type of work and general quality of life that attracts
  • Options
    Nothing worse or so soul destroying as a treadmill........and burnout and no energy.

If you feel it's time to seek fulfillment, go and do it.

Long hours can be no problem if you enjoy what you are doing and it's part of a satisfying way of life.
    But obviously do your homework first - and get a handle on the language, if you're moving abroad.

And if it all goes tits up? Well, you'll live to see another day and have to work out a 'Plan B' .
    At least you can say you tried.

Better than living a life full of regret.
  • Options
    The biggest problem with kids these days is a total lack of discipline. Most of the time the parents can't be arsed and let them run wild. When they get to school, teachers have there hands tied by red tape and are too scared to discipline them in case they get sued. Police are laughed at rather than respected because kids know that even if they do get nicked all they'll get is a slap on the wrist.

My personal view is that they should bring back national service and give em a good dose of discipline and self respect.
  • Options
    I like what you and cc are getting at Dan, i wish i could think about doing something similar myself! It wont happen tho, as i dont wanna move far from my family and cafc! But i dont wanna have kids and bring them up round here, its a karzy out there, and like off it says, you cant go out in town for 5 mins without seeing a right proper skank asking you for money and abising you if you say no, or seeing a tramp ot shouty nutter! So basically your over a barrell!

With regards to moving to the sticks, i would love to do this, but these little gangs are ruining these quaint villages too, so many chavvy asbos about even in the small villages! In my opinion, its the authorities and media that have caused this wave of anti social behaviour, all this yellow card lark and asbos etc, and all the coverage the gangs get on tv and in the national press, they all want to be on stevie so they can have the bragging rights to rival gangs! It wont get any better, only worse as these scumbags try to out do each other!