Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Players you know.....sort of

Opportunity to show off here and I'm sure this has been done before but....

I'll start, I played in the same uni football side as Matt Taylor (Sheffield Hallam), for a season.

Nice guy, and we had a good side, never missed a single header from recollection, but never picked him as a pro or the rock he's been for us this year!

Also played half a season with Jason Euell. He scored about 70 goals in the South London league. We won it that year!

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I went to school with shaun wright-phillips and his brother was a few years younger didn't even know his name let alone what he'd become. Knew Scott Parker quite well, very good friends with a mutual friend and was friends with his sister. The first time I met him he was at Catford Cinema and was carrying a Man United boot bag (disgraceful lol). Also the same mutual friend is Scott Mintos' cousin. I also met most of the players from the 90's at various events Martin Pringle was a legend I got him to play a prank on my mate who fancied him rotten and call her from my phone. Hilarious. I also went through an episode of bumping into Curbs outside toilets I found it quite freaky, everytime was coincidental but we both laughed about it after the third time.

Oh and I stalked Steve Jones for a while, he was a hotte though lol. The last time I asked him for his autograph he embarrassingly said 'What again??'
  • Options
    Wilson Lennox, who banged in the goals for us in the late 1920's, was my great uncle by marriage. I never met him and he died before I was born, but he would appear on my family tree and my mum is still in touch with his daughter so I reckon that counts - it does say "sort of know" at the top!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I know all the Charlton players. That's what fans do.
  • Options
    I went to school with Kevin Smith (anyone remember him?) best i can do. He was a year older and we played in the same house team and i had one season in his lunchtime 5 a side team. He may not have had the most distinguished career, the highlight being the FA cup tie at Portman road in the early 80's, but he was different class at school
  • Options
    He went to play in America I think, Dallas sidekicks?????
  • Options
    I know Parker through his Birds brother Harry Arter who went my primary school was good mates.I also know Paul Gorman who lives by me good mates with his sons.
  • Options
    I think you are right i heard he went out to America to play, he was a top lad
  • Options
    Nearly forgot i had a nightout in Peterborough with Lee Power a few months back having met him through a mutual friend.
  • Options
    Andy Petterson is a family friend starting from when he was at Luton. He gave us season tickets and lounge passes for 3 years, back in the portacabin days.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    The first David Campbell used to come to my sports club regularly to see his mates and I had a few drinks with him.

I played cricket against Les Berry, Steve Gritt and Paddy Powell but wouldn't count that as "knowing" them although I did later have an occasional drink with Paddy when he was assistant manager at Margate and his son David played for them.

My daughters used to chat to the late Les Fell when he came into the shop they worked in to pick up his papers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2012
    My best mate is Nicky Bailey's brother in-law. Great bloke who took my shirt in and got it signed by all the players, shame it had to end so badly....

I still see him occasionally and he's liking life up north.
  • Options
    I met Nicky Baileys cousin in Magaluf 2010, when I was working there. Said Bailey loved it here but they doubled his wages.
  • Options
    Hmm nope don't "know" any of them met most players.
  • Options
    Am i the only one who has never spoke to a charlton player? I am only 15 but seems like it's not unusual to see a charlton player in Tesco's.
  • Options
    Ex players, but paddy powell, steve gritt, anthony barness all used to drink in the pub my mum and dad worked in.
  • Options
    I work with Anthony Barness' cousin. He never sees him though so no interesting anecdotes. Also my cousin is good friends with Gordon Watson's brother.

Worst two links so far?
  • Options
    went to school with waggy, also know his sister very well...
  • Options
    My dad, the secretary of the Lewisham pool league, said he met Nicky Bailey a few times through that.
    My brother was in the same class as Michael Turner in primary school, but does that really count, as he never really played for us? He also shook John Robinson's hand on Brighton beach a couple of years ago - said he had a firm handshake.
    My father-in-law sat behind Todorov once and asked him why he wasn't playing; apparently he said "I don't know, I am fine, I am training, but still I don't play."

But that wasn't what the thread was asking - no, I haven't met a single Charlton player in real life. Happy?!
  • Options
    Lived on the same council estate as Andy Ansah as kids and he was mates with Carl Leaburn, we all used to hang about and play football on the estate. Ansah was a brilliant player and they all played for the same youth team, I think it was Leeford? Could be wrong on that.

Met Anthony Barness through mutual friends and became good friends, he had enormous drinking capacity and pulled the tastiest birds imaginable at The Venue in the early to mid 90's, not that they were that great in there to be fair!
  • Options
    I was in one of the bars at Loughborough Uni in early 90s and I met a Charlton Keeper - I knew his name for a while but have lost it now. In that same bar I also met a psst England cricketer but I can't remember his name either - they were great years! The place was full of well known sports peeps at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All of them cos I am the secret investor
  • Options
    Covered end lad, do you know a bloke called Alex Cole?
  • Options
    went to same school as Gavin Peacock (he was 2 years above) but we never spoke

pre-fulham was in the pub with bob bolder & john humphrey but we never spoke

played football against Steve Gritt when he was playing for Metrogas Vets-he scored from the half way line, flash git..we also never spoke
  • Options
    kentaddick 9:33PM
    Covered end lad, do you know a bloke called Alex Cole?

know of him, dont know him particularly well... tall bloke with gingery hair, quite skinny?
  • Options
    yeah thats the man! One of my best mates.

haha, I love the fact you remember that he has ginger hair. Quality!

Just asked cos he went to school with waggy as well, knows him and whenever he seems him at parties etc they have a chat.

On a related note, his dad, Richard Cole used to play for our reserves in the 80's til he broke his leg. Still walks with a limp.
  • Options
    Peter Garland used to go and have a kick about with me and most of my mates who were in a team. What a quality player he was, used to run with the ball and kicking it without the ball touching the ground.

Apparently he is now digging up roads now.
  • Options
    kentaddick 9:45PM
    yeah thats the man! One of my best mates.

haha, I love the fact you remember that he has ginger hair. Quality!

Just asked cos he went to school with waggy as well, knows him and whenever he seems him at parties etc they have a chat.

On a related note, his dad, Richard Cole used to play for our reserves in the 80's til he broke his leg. Still walks with a limp.

Small world eh?
  • Options
    Also went to school with Waggy, was my partner in GCSE PE. Seems theres a lot of Bennetts on here, big up...
  • Options
    It really is, good to see a t wells based addick around.

Saw Peter Garland play in the Kent Premier League 3 or 4 years ago i think, was twice the age of most of the players there and a good few stone overweight but still absolutely bossed the game. Goes to show the difference in quality.