Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Players you know.....sort of

Comments

• Options
    charlton_hero 9:53PM
    Also went to school with Waggy, was my partner in GCSE PE. Seems theres a lot of Bennetts on here, big up...

big up the badgers!
  • Options
    Yes lots of Bennett Memorial connections on here?........
  • Options
    Played a few times for my school school against Gavin Peacocks school.Put in a couple of robust tackles on him when Keith was watching and he wasn't impressed!!
  • Options
    Played against Carl Leaburn many times as a teenager, think he played for a team called Falcons. Met Curbs and Gritt 20 years ago, when I worked with Curbs childhood best mate, who sadly passed away from cancer, Curbs did the eulogy at his funeral. Also worked more recently with Pardews nephew although he was still at Hammers at the time.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    - Keith Peacock
    - Gavin Peacock
    - Richie Bowman and Mark Penfold

My Mum, years ago, used to work in Barclays Bank, Blackheath Standard at the beginning of the 1950's. Customers she got to know included Sam Bartram and a South African goalkeeper, Albert Uytenbogaardt.
  • Options
    Spoke to Peacock at Gillingham ice rink year and half ago talking about how shocking we was doing lol. He said there was going to be a massive re-shuffle and was right! He was with his nieces and granchildren I think being a family man!
  • Options
    @cafcsinger I've never seen a current Charlton player in Tescos but I did see Luke Varney in Tescos in Loughborough last year funnily enough. Went and said that he was a legend for the 2 goals against Palace, he said he would have liked to stay but the club needed the money.

@PL54 Loughborough is still good for things like that - the England cricket team train here 3 or 4 times a year (though there's no-one like Flintoff who regularly visited the Student Union bar when he was here), and there are loads of athletes kicking around atm in preparation for the Olympics. Not many footballers though
  • Options
    Played in the same school team as ben thatcher. Tackled me in training once and virtually knocked me unconscious. Totally fair tackle he was just so physical even at 12 or however old we were. His dad was in the RAF so he moved on quite quickly. Then he popped up at Millwall!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Same Charlton youth team as Jamie Stuart, Jason Tindall and Scott Parker

Step-mothers father was Jack Shreeve who won the fa cup for us and was Sam Bartrams best buddy

Played golf with Sasa Ilic, Derek Hales, Phil Chapple and Andy Jones in the last few years

Our chauffeur at work is best mates with Peter Garland. He's a postie/courier I believe. He came to my office the other day but I was in a meeting and missed him

• Options
    When I worked at CPNSC Sam Appiah was a groundsman there. He is an absolutely brilliant guy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I go raving with Waggy and Solly. Check my profile picture.

Im also friends with a few of the development squad on facebook haha
  • Options
    saw Omar Pouso on the bus once, we never spoke
  • Options
    Used to work with Michael Turners missus at LBG so would often speak him on the phone.

Ex-missus is mates with Jamie Stuarts missus since school so would speak to him at kids birthdays etc.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I used to knock about with Johnny Rreves a bit, so got to know Peter slightly. Similar with Phil Warman, as I knew his mate 'Mojo' White quite well. Luciano Massielo and I played in the same distrcit team, and got to know him. Mark Penfold.....everyone knows Mark.....grew up in the same manor. Finally, Mark Robson.......terrific fella and great Coach......my son was at the Academy when Mark was there.
  • Options
    Played in the same sunday side as Mark Tivey and Gordon Watson. Damien Matthews and Scott Minto joined the summer i left - couldn't see the point in spending a season on the bench as the manager was clearly looking to change to a less cultured style!
  • Options
    Know the head of security at the valley if that counts for anything
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer was at my dads villa in spain when news of the Leeds transfer came through if that counts for anything - i don't know him personally though. John Pearson trained with my sunday side the day he signed for us (we were only about 13 at the time). I've got loads of these type of stories but to say i know them would be a stretch.
  • Options
    I know Ketmans dad Rick.
  • Options
    @plaayer - who is Turners missus?
  • Options
    She left when he went to Sunderland mate.

She worked in Finance at the old Borough Treasurers, Wellington St.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2012
    @Plaaayer

I had a temporary job in the rates section of the Borough Treasurer's department in Wellington Street more years ago than I care to remember now! Suffice to say you probably weren't born!
  • Options
    Like Plaaaayer, I met Michael Turner's missus when working for the East Yorks NHS in Hull .. Michael is a lucky fella, she is a real sweetie.
    I used to have a drink in Blackheath with Colin Powell years ago, The Three Tuns and the Crown, plus Powelly loved a bet and was often in the bookies in Blackheath Village.
  • Options
    Lol, @LenGlover well I didnt like to say anything!

@Lincsaddick You're right about her, probably as far away from a WAG as you could get. Saw her when she was down a couple of months ago.
  • Options
    Did you find out what was wrong ?
  • Options
    met chris solly a few times when i go round to pick up his sister for one of our numerous dates.
  • Options
    Went to school with Mark Penfold and still chat to him now when he is in Legends before the games.

Used to live round the corner from George Shipley when he lived in Gypsy Road, Welling. We went to a great promotion party at his place when we went up, all the players turned up.
  • Options
    have played cricket against paddy powell,steve gritt,jimmy giles,mark penfold and bob curtis

phil warman presented me with a medal at a football presentation once

eamon dunphy used to swear at me for playing football outside his house and delaying his route to the bookies
  • Options
    Was in the same year as Gary Nelson duaghter at school.

Curbs nephews also went to the same school one a year below me who is now a doorman at a local club.
  • Options
    Steve Gritt's kids went to my school - couple of years above though. Tamer Tuna was a couple of years below me.

Michael Turner's family lived next door to my mum growing up, and his brother was page boy at my parents' wedding.

My dad used to be a stretcher bearer at Charlton, I used to sit with the injured players so had a good few chats with Paul Sturgess. I remember a cracking sovereign ring he had with his initials on!

• Options
    Knew Michael Turner well when he was at secondary school, not suprised that he has found a non-wag sweet sweetheart because Michael was(is) a great lad, and one of the very best local footballers of his generation.
    Knew Ben Chorley too, a different person to Michael Turner.