Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ruben Bover (going out on loan)

Comments

• Options
    Agree with Richard J. The Spanish third division is regional and so it is no better than Blue Square Conference/ Conference North/South level, with the crowds usually in the hundreds.

I expect the reality is that, because Bover is a young lad and a bit lightweight, no League 2 team was interested in taking him and at least he'll get some game time at San Roque. Better than kicking his heels at Sparrows Lane.

I wonder if Alonso has been offered out to second tier teams back in Spain ? I'd have thought so. The guy certainly needs some games.

• Options
    Ruben is the loveliest guy you could ever want to meet and I wish him all the best. He wasn't offered a league 1 team, like charlton wanted, and only league 2 teams came forward. So he was allowed to go home.
  • Options
    is it official yet?
  • Options
    Tosan Popo is joining him on loan out there.
  • Options
    Maybe if British teams got all their squad playing the Spanish way they might win the champions league and european comps a bit more regularly. Still I suppose David Silva could track back a bit more.
  • Options
    Tweet from Richard Cawley
    Another line in paper today is that #cafc are looking to tie down Ruben Bover Izquierdo on a new deal.
  • Options
    Doesn't surprise me. Powell and the coaching staff have big hopes for this lad. Probably could do with a little bit more beef though.
  • Options
    Think he's going to be really good next season, I was impressed when I've seen him just think this league was a bit too physical for him, hopefully he'll do well
  • Options
    Could he be ready to step up to be the left sided cover for Jacko ? its a shame he didn't get a loan to an English club.
  • Options
    He has a lot of similarities with Messi in that he has nice close control, loves to dribble, nippy, left footed.

Obviously a long way to go in terms of talent but definitely looks like a box of tricks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He performed well against Championship clubs last pre-season. I think a major difference between League One and the Championship is that , with a few exceptions, the Championship is less physical so some players may actually find the step up easier.
  • Options
    Wouldnt say he is championship ready after a few non competitive friendlies. But would agree wouldve preferred him on loan to a english side so we could see if he had some potential
  • Options
    I would think the fact that the club want to give him a new contract suggests that Bover is progressing nicely.
  • Options
    You would think so but not neccesarily. What about Mambo,Freddie Warren etc. wernt they given new contracts yet never heard of again only to get released (warren)
  • Options
    Box of tricks, really? Saw him v Welling and in the Carling Cup, comfortable on the ball but doesn't seem one to try tricks.

Not convinced the Championship will be easier than League 1 for him. Without pace and/or strength he'll need a brilliant end product to make it.
  • Options
    The problem we have is that we cannot keep everyone season after season in the hope they will improve at some point to become regular first team players .

In my view as a left sider Bover is worth keeping for a couple of seasons to see how he develops .Effectively he is in the same boat as the former academy players as Oggy says he must be progessing nicely if we want to keep him .
  • Options
    Box of tricks, really? Saw him v Welling and in the Carling Cup, comfortable on the ball but doesn't seem one to try tricks.

Not convinced the Championship will be easier than League 1 for him. Without pace and/or strength he'll need a brilliant end product to make it.
    I've actually spoken to a few people involved with the club and they have said he is very exciting. One of the players also said he was a "bastard" in training but meant it in a good way

• Options
    Don't forget, SCP judges a player on attitude and personality, as well as footballing ability.

Bover evidently fits in.
  • Options
    Maybe if British teams got all their squad playing the Spanish way they might win the champions league and european comps a bit more regularly. Still I suppose David Silva could track back a bit more.
    rather than elbowing, kneeing and thumping?
  • Options
    We don't keep everybody but it would be daft to let somebody go who you feel has a future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I no League 1 is a physical league but IMO Bover should go on loan to someone like Swindon, a team who play good football and he can develop the physical side also.
  • Options
    I think a move to Spain for both Bover and Popo was the right move (as a first loan). It allowed them to improve their footballing skills as Spanish football is pretty skillful. Also, the 3rd tier of Spanish football is fairly different to the 1st and 2nd tiers whereas it is more physical (but nothing like England).

However, if Bover was to go on loan again to Spain, I think it would be the wrong move. England is a more physical game. If Bover spends pre-season bulking up then a loan to a L1/L2 side would be very beneficial as game time in England would be vital. The only other option is to enter a reserve/development team into a league.

This might come across as waffle but I know what I am trying to say in my head :-)
  • Options
    I'm really excited about Bover, he looked great in pre-season against championship teams and then was class against the mighty Welling.

One of my 1st threads: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/42088/ruben-bover#Item_83
  • Options
    Hope he signs up, ive got his youth team poppey shirt and I want a chance to get it signed :)
  • Options
    I think Chrissy will take a look at him in pre-season and that will determine whether he goes out on loan or is part of the matchday squad. I agree, what he did last pre-season against Championship clubs doesn't mean he is ready, but it is promising all the same and it will be interesting to see how much he has developed after his spell in Spain. I must say, he looks to have a bit of quality about him to me and is one of our young players I have high hopes for.
  • Options
    Really excited about Bover, not sure (based on what I saw pre season) if he could go somewhere in League 2 where they play decent football and will give him the opportunity to get time on the ball and play to his Obvios strengths then it could be very positive
  • Options
    I think he may have been sent to Spain as it was deemed League One and Two football wasn't right for his development.
  • Options
    We have a few 'sleepers' around, and also some prospects from the youth system. Evina fits the sleeper profile, as does Michael Smith, and I suppose Bradley Pritchard was, until his early promotion to the first team because he was older than the others, and Bover also fits into the 'one (hopefully) for the future' mold too.
    It is a good policy actually, because if we somehow 'add value' to a player such as Pritchard, they have an enhanced resale value, and we make a bit of money. Overall this has to be balanced against the possible financial risks of signing, say, Leon Clarke and Andy Hughes.
  • Options
    Think Pardew signed a few "sleepers" - Christensen comes to mind.... not a bad policy but they rarely come off... just depends on the quality of your scouting really i guess... Pritchard is clearly an excpetional find...

I haven't seen Bover really so hard for me to comment and I hope he turns out to be a goodun, I do wonder however whether a lot of fans excitment is purely becuase he has a Spanish name, rather than any real knowledge of his pedigree.
  • Options
    I no League 1 is a physical league but IMO Bover should go on loan to someone like Swindon, a team who play good football and he can develop the physical side also.
    Or he gets absolutely battered by the big lumps, loses all confidence and disappears having never played a game for us. I think the way the club are handling our current crop is just fine.