Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Smith

Comments

• Options
    I can't remember him doing rufus , is that for definite ?
    anyone got any links for this

Proper dirty leeds player and a bluff as far as top class football was involved
  • Options
    Like finding a tin of high-octane fuel and sticking it in your '98 Ford Mondeo, hoping it'll make it go faster. Everything will shake, the wheels will fall off and somebody will probably get hurt.
    Lovin this................. ;-)
  • Options

Never trust a man named Smith
    Nuff said.
    Seems harsh but fair : - )

• Options
    It is now very clear that any two footed challenge will earn a red card. Smith is yesterdays man, nuff said.
  • Options
    Wonder how long before he gets his first injury?

Have to admit not that impressed by this, hasn't played football in years, past his best, look at the gamble Sheff Utd have taken with Beattie which hasn't paid off.
  • Options
    I can't remember him doing rufus , is that for definite ?
    anyone got any links for this

Proper dirty leeds player and a bluff as far as top class football was involved
    Yep, at Elland road, when he played for his "boyhood heroes" before he moved to their biggest rivals. One of the worst challenges I've ever seen and really can't stand the bloke ever since.
  • Options
    Wonder how long before he gets his first injury?

Have to admit not that impressed by this, hasn't played football in years, past his best, look at the gamble Sheff Utd have taken with Beattie which hasn't paid off.
    Not much of a gamble for MK though, if it doesnt work out, send him back, simples

• Options
    Unless he disrupts the squad with his big charlie routine...............
  • Options
    This amounts to karl Robinsons shit-or-bust move.

I hope he's shit and his leg gets bust.......................................
    Not a fan I take it :-)

• Options
    My recollection of the Smith tackle on Rufus was that he injured Rufus' foot; but it was his knee that eventually stopped him playing. Could be wrong though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My recollection of the Smith tackle on Rufus was that he injured Rufus' foot; but it was his knee that eventually stopped him playing. Could be wrong though.
    Yes that is my recollection as well.

More worrying to me is the number on here who want to see another player get hurt. I find it quite distasteful.

Further than that the comments from PragueAddick strike me as very bizarre. Why should Smith give up his salary that he is legally entitled to? Newcastle offered him the contract and both parties are legally bound to it. From what I have read this is not a Tevez style situation, Smith trains everyday, works hard but is just no where near the team. Why should Smith pay because Darlington have over spent their budget, not stuck to financial regulations and nearly gone out of business.

Would any of us give us what we are entitled to in a legal contract to help out another business that has financially crippled itself by mismanagement? I wouldn't.

• Options
    A £60k a week 5 year deal.

Jesus wept.
  • Options

More worrying to me is the number on here who want to see another player get hurt. I find it quite distasteful.
    We're talking about a bloke who's made a career out of two-footed challenges, causing injury to others. In the same mould as Barton, Karl Henry and that ex millwall scum whose name I refuse to mention, so I for one won't retract what I said about him.........................
  • Options

We're talking about a bloke who's made a career out of two-footed challenges, causing injury to others. In the same mould as Barton, Karl Henry and that ex millwall scum whose name I refuse to mention, so I for one won't retract what I said about him.........................
    Agreed it's not "another" player - it's this player.
  • Options
    Bangkok Dave
    I did not suggest that Smith should give up his salary, did I? However I deplore the fact that English football is currently structured so that he can earn this amount of money, while hardly playing, when long established clubs go to the wall for the want of far less money. You suggested that we shouldn't even speak about it. I disagree. We should speak about it a lot,because this money comes from us, the paying customers. And don't tell me that nothing can be done. of course it can. If the TV money were shared out more equitably across the entire Football League there would be less money wasted on Alan Smith, and more money helping Darlington to survive. And not just Darlington either. I can think of a club closer to home that came near to administration because of the precipitous drop in TV income that comes with relegation from the Premier League. And that club did nothing worse than a couple of misjudged managerial appointments.

I would't condone a Roy Keane style retribution on Smith, but a series of very hard ball+man tackles,that's part of the game and he richly deserves to get it

• Options
    Vermin. Remember him scoring in front of the covered end and standing holding his ears in front of the covered end (no booking) and Chris Perry getting sent off soon afterwards during a 4-0 thrashing.
    Yeah I remember that; I don't understand why he did that, I don't remember him getting it in the ear from the crowd before that.
  • Options
    In this day and age why would anyone sign a player with blue lips?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    First recollections are of his taking out Charlie MacDonald (i think) also at Elland Road in an unbelievable assault, that went unpunished. Absolute thug.
  • Options

Further than that the comments from PragueAddick strike me as very bizarre. Why should Smith give up his salary that he is legally entitled to? Newcastle offered him the contract and both parties are legally bound to it. From what I have read this is not a Tevez style situation, Smith trains everyday, works hard but is just no where near the team. Why should Smith pay because Darlington have over spent their budget, not stuck to financial regulations and nearly gone out of business.

Would any of us give us what we are entitled to in a legal contract to help out another business that has financially crippled itself by mismanagement? I wouldn't.
    He didn't, of course, say anything about Smith giving up his money. The point is that realities of modern football finances accommodate people taking £60k a week out of the game without contributing anything to it, whilst the heart and soul of British football hasn't got two farthings to rub together. Darlington it seems will die; a fairer distribution of monies in the game - including keeping money in the game rather than lining players and agents pockets - would help to address some of these problems and reduce the financial need to retain the status quo.

It's within the last ten years that Peter Varney and Richard Murray were arguing from within the Premier League that there should be a broader distribution of its wealth throughout football. It's ironic - but probably inevitable - that having established ourselves as a Premiership club, relegation led to what were almost insurmountable financial problems. We're not the first and we probably won't be the last. It's crazy that anyone should need - let alone have agreed to - parachute payments to remain solvent 4 years after relegation from the Premiership.

Finally, I think many of us have been critical at the bonuses paid by the banks to their employees; it all seems so disproportionate. Yet footballers and their employers seem immune to criticism when a town's economy and any number of jobs might be impacted by the death of a football club. The bonus earned by Stephen Hester - declined despite turning around RBS finances and preserving jobs in a high risk industry, all of benefit to the taxpayer - would be 'earned' by Alan Smith in just 4 months, 4 months of doing precisely nothing.

As for Alan Smith, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sent off in one of his early games and featuring very little. Another youngster who made the wrong move and wasted a promising talent, becoming a terribly ordinary player even at Championship level. Not quite sure what Robinson was thinking.
  • Options
    The point I'm making is here where PragueAddick is implying that Smith shouldn't be getting his salary while clubs like Darlington go to the wall as he is not playing. Well maybe Smith shouldn't be on 60K a week, but he is and that is his contract offered by NUFC and signed in good faith. While you are right clubs are going to the wall it is not solely because of the money in the Premier League and wages being paid and cash not being feed downwards.

Darlington mismanaged their finances, no one forced to sign the players they did when they did or offer contracts that they could not afford.

I also disagree with the argument that it is our money, presumably the fans money. Well on average the % of a Premier League clubs earnings coming from matchdays (tickets & expenditure) is less than 35% of their total revenue (deloitte). The rest is broadcasting and commercial activities - and a good % of this is revenue raised outside of the UK. Football has changed, rightly or wrongly I can't say but it has.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2012
    @Bangkok Dave: "I also disagree with the argument that it is our money, presumably the fans money. Well on average the % of a Premier League clubs earnings coming from matchdays (tickets & expenditure) is less than 35% of their total revenue (deloitte). The rest is broadcasting and commercial activities - and a good % of this is revenue raised outside of the UK. Football has changed, rightly or wrongly I can't say but it has".

And who do you think are the people who pay Sky subscriptions? Martians?

And do you imagine that it would be a TV spectacle if it wasn't for the fans who turn up, come rain or shine, like at 5.20 on New Years Eve, as I did when I was over?

Let's get this straight. I am not IMPLYING anything. I am saying something straight up. Alan Smith's £60,000/week salary is a sick disgrace. We cannot force him to give it up. We can however say that this nonsense has got to stop.

Football has changed. And? We are not allowed to comment, deplore it, or seek to change it? Well sod that.
  • Options
    35% is a massive investment. If you owned 35% of a company then you would definately be able to have a say in how that company was run.
  • Options
    That might be the case in the Premiership - although broadcasting revenue is still less than 50% of revenues, and even if 38% is accurate it's a significant income stream - but it certainly isn't the case elsewhere. Clearly mismanagement is a key theme - Championship clubs were spending £4 for every £3 brought in in 2010 - but a major factor is that the Premiership is a quick fix in terms of transforming the finances of your club. It is a gamble, but one that only 3 clubs can win.

For clubs outside the Premiership, and certainly below the Championship, the flow of money from the top is - to quote Deloitte - invaluable. This isn't Alan Smith's fault, of course; but he is a classic example of the irresponsibility of modern football - a 5 year contract worth £3m a year when he's barely played - and this is financed by a broadcasting model that puts more than £1bn into the Premiership and Sky pay just £63m a year for the entire football league.

This is the point - even a more equitable distribution of broadcasting revenues throughout the football world would transform the game at the lower levels and improve competition throughout the leagues. And any reduction in the financial gulf between the Premiership and the Football League will have a significant impact on the extent to which clubs in the Championship gamble their existence on promotion; and the ability of clubs outside the top flight to survive.

After all, isn't the gulf the primary reason why the Championship clubs have to take such a huge share of the football league's broadcasting revenues?
  • Options
    (taking threads away from their original subjects) ;-)
  • Options
    This is Alan Smith former Man Utd striker now midfield dynamo who last scored a goal in United's 7-1 win over Roma on the 10th April 2007.

"Yes but he's been injured and he doesn't play the same role nowadays." I hear you say. Indeed, as 31 yellow cards and 2 Red cards since that goal will testify.

Glad we haven't got him. A poor man's Semedo imho.
    Make that 33 yellows and 2 reds in the 5 years since he last scored.
  • Options
    I don't like the horrible nasty little c***.
  • Options
    What a nasty cheating little c##t!
  • Options
    I admire the amount of effort he put in out there tonight, at least it looked like he cared (unlike some of the loan signings we've made!)
  • Options
    Any one know what he said to our fans when he got subbed? I am in the west upper and saw him mouth "fuck off" at one of our fans wonder if any one can shed any light on what the horrible little erk went on to say?
  • Options
    Any one know what he said to our fans when he got subbed? I am in the west upper and saw him mouth "fuck off" at one of our fans wonder if any one can shed any light on what the horrible little erk went on to say?
    I was under the impression that particular phrase contained the only two words he knows