Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Smith

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Have always liked him personally, scored a lovely goal when they beat us 3 zip at Elland road the year we got relegated from the prem the first time
    Funny you that you should like a miserable moaning b*stard isn't?

• Options
    A real tool. Kids sit in the west and he is shouting that, you think with all that experience and money he could rise above it
  • Options
    Just thought I would play devil's advocate based on what I was told by someone a few years ago....

Said person works for a charity and does a lot of work with 'celebs' organising fundraising events. Told us about some real tosspots who she has worked with and their horrible, egotistic behaviour.

I asked her about footballers and who are the best and worst she had worked with.....she said 'this might surprise you, but Alan Smith is one that stands out'....not for being a nightmare, but quite the opposite - apparently he is completely down to earth and gave freely of his time and was really good with they youngsters. She said that at one particular event involving disadvantaged/ill kiddies (it was one of the two, can't remember which), all the other footballers couldn't wait to disappear and get away and a good few 'really needed to get over themselves'. Apparently, Smith was there to the very end and could not have been better with the kiddies; at the time he was a pretty big star and played for Manchester United, but was the complete opposite of a 'billy big bollox' apparently...

Sometimes, because of someone's media image (especially if they are sportsmen) you just get to think that someone is a nasty piece of work, but sometimes, it's just that....an image.
  • Options
    Just thought I would play devil's advocate based on what I was told by someone a few years ago....

Said person works for a charity and does a lot of work with 'celebs' organising fundraising events. Told us about some real tosspots who she has worked with and their horrible, egotistic behaviour.

I asked her about footballers and who are the best and worst she had worked with.....she said 'this might surprise you, but Alan Smith is one that stands out'....not for being a nightmare, but quite the opposite - apparently he is completely down to earth and gave freely of his time and was really good with they youngsters. She said that at one particular event involving disadvantaged/ill kiddies (it was one of the two, can't remember which), all the other footballers couldn't wait to disappear and get away and a good few 'really needed to get over themselves'. Apparently, Smith was there to the very end and could not have been better with the kiddies; at the time he was a pretty big star and played for Manchester United, but was the complete opposite of a 'billy big bollox' apparently...

Sometimes, because of someone's media image (especially if they are sportsmen) you just get to think that someone is a nasty piece of work, but sometimes, it's just that....an image.
    I have heard that about him too, he's a teetotaller and apparently a very decent bloke off the pitch.

Still would not want him in our team though!
  • Options
    can believe he probably is a decent bloke but never rated him as a player - amazed man utd signed him.
  • Options
    can believe he probably is a decent bloke but never rated him as a player - amazed man utd signed him.
    I think part of it was done to piss off Leeds and rub their noses in it.
  • Options
    I also did notice how he patted Solly on the back and said well done after he had tackled him or something and he helped up Wright Phillips and they shared a joke.

Felt a little bit bad when I yelled out something about being a thug when he was nearby and a kid a few rows in front said turned round (im 90% certain) and said "that's my dad".

Felt a bit bad then... and kept schtum as they celebrated the Dons goal in front of us.

• Options
    I also did notice how he patted Solly on the back and said well done after he had tackled him or something and he helped up Wright Phillips and they shared a joke.

Felt a little bit bad when I yelled out something about being a thug when he was nearby and a kid a few rows in front said turned round (im 90% certain) and said "that's my dad".

Felt a bit bad then... and kept schtum as they celebrated the Dons goal in front of us.

Evil woman, abusing a young kids dad in front of him like that.
  • Options
    I know!

I thought that myself - "shame on you Charlton fans" was ringing in my ears. But then the same kid was getting Hamer's signature on his picture in the programme.

• Options
    You'd all love him in our side, you know you would.
    Categorically no I wouldn't.

He has nothing to offer us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Thought he looked a decent L1 player.

Lumpen, whingeing, cheating, and just competent. No wonder he's in a bad mood.

Wouldn't have him in our team.
  • Options
    God I glad we didn't sign him. MKD playing him up front no doubt as a result of his prolific goalscoring efforts - one goal in six years (admittedly the winner against the Blades).
  • Options
    You wouldn't even know he was playing, if it wasn't for his name. (IYTWIM).