Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Six Nations 2012

With our game off, I see a few of you are tuning in to this.

Who is going to win it?

Does anyone care?

Is there a greater interest because of the Rugby World Cup?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Final table

France
    Wales
    Ireland
    England
    Scotland
    Italy.

perhaps
  • Options
    France or Ireland to win, whoever wins the match between these two will take the Six Nations. This year that game will be played in France, so they have the edge.

Hard to know what to make of the Six Nations for England, a new and maybe temporary coach, and a load of new faces with Robshaw as captain.
  • Options
    Sco 0-0 Eng.
    15 minutes.
  • Options
    France or Ireland to win, whoever wins the match between these two will take the Six Nations. This year that game will be played in France, so they have the edge.

Hard to know what to make of the Six Nations for England, a new and maybe temporary coach, and a load of new faces with Robshaw as captain.
    I think you may be right BFR, but I did like the look of Wales with all their improvements last year.
    Could be a few cracking games.
    Too early by far to transform the car-crash of an England squad
  • Options
    England did well in the end to win at Murrayfield but I think we probably saw the worst two teams in the tournament playing each other in that match.

France will win it.
  • Options
    England did well in the end to win at Murrayfield but I think we probably saw the worst two teams in the tournament playing each other in that match.

France will win it.
    Not a chance. Italy are dreadful - both teams will put them to the sword. Unfortunately, that's the only other game England are likely to win, so I suspect they're likely to finish fourth, or third at best

• Options

France will win it.
    Not a chance. Italy are dreadful - both teams will put them to the sword. Unfortunately, that's the only other game England are likely to win, so I suspect they're likely to finish fourth, or third at best

The Italian pack always gives them a chance and they are no longer thrashed as often as they once were.

In my view the French margin of victory flattered them although they undoubtedly deserved to win.

I am probably, on reflection, being hyper critical of England but Italy will give them (and the remaining teams) a game and I do believe the French will win it comparatively easily.
  • Options
    Very much a team in the making.....we are looking for the next crop of 'household' names, but I have to say that on that showing it's hard to see any of this current crop of players becoming that.
    A somewhat dissapointing game from two very ordinary sides that most of the top pro clubs would have beaten comfortably.
    The jury is still out!
  • Options
    very unimpressed with France, can see Wales and Ireland finishing above them.
  • Options
    I guess we will know more this time tomorrow!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought England were poor. Scotland even worse.
    Will be having on bet on Italy against England in Rome.
  • Options
    I enjoyed the England game. End to end, could have gone either way, what's not to like? England's tackling, discipline and (most of the) passing was much improved compared with recent years. Scotland made the kind of errors England have been guilty of in the recent past.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ireland, Wales good game, two poor decisions from the ref cost Ireland the win. The yellow card for Wales should have been red, could have broke the bloke's neck.
  • Options
    Ireland, Wales good game, two poor decisions from the ref cost Ireland the win. The yellow card for Wales should have been red, could have broke the bloke's neck.
    Indeed Guiness - but a cracking game wasnt it?
  • Options
    Superb game, always thought Wales looked good to win. Felt a bit sorry for the Irish having their man carded for a bit of a mickey mouse offence
  • Options
    Superb game, always thought Wales looked good to win. Felt a bit sorry for the Irish having their man carded for a bit of a mickey mouse offence
    Just replayed it on the Red Button - what looked OK ish during the game looks dangerous on the slo mo they just showed.

Pleased for Wales

• Options
    I only say it was a bot wooly because of what the Welsh guy only got a yellow for, much much worse in my eyes but as the referee didn't see it he could only do what his touch judge told him. I agree Wales deserved it
  • Options
    I only say it was a bot wooly because of what the Welsh guy only got a yellow for, much much worse in my eyes but as the referee didn't see it he could only do what his touch judge told him. I agree Wales deserved it
    Agreed - the obvious intent in the Welsh boy's whole movement was blatantly obvious and a Red - Warren Gatland just watched it and said it was a red!

• Options
    Cracking game of rugby. Should have been a definite red for Davies, but could always see a penalty coming at the end. Gutted to lose, but can see a few twists in this Championship before it's over.

Oh, one more thing. George North. 19. SERIOUSLY!! The lad is a monster & can surely only get bigger/better!!
  • Options
    Cracking game of rugby. Should have been a definite red for Davies, but could always see a penalty coming at the end. Gutted to lose, but can see a few twists in this Championship before it's over.

Oh, one more thing. George North. 19. SERIOUSLY!! The lad is a monster & can surely only get bigger/better!!
    Spot on Tel - such a contrast from the players from a decade ago!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wales and France look good.

At least England have started to show some discipline and cut out the silly penalties, with the exception of Matt Stevens that is. Jonno's team would have lost that game at Murrayfield.

Still had a little win on the accumulator. Do love the six nations for a flutter! Especially as I keep losing on the footy.
  • Options
    George North is a great lad, really down to earth. My nephew played all through the youth leagues in N Wales with him. They were both offered, at 16, scholarships to a private school in S Wales for the rugby training. This school feeds into Llanelli Scarlets where George North plays. He is a great lad and player. Unfortunately, my nephew declined (girlfriend, homesickness etc) the offer and I think he has regretted it. Not sure he was as focused as George North but he is a great player in his own right.
    I love hearing of George North scoring tries!
  • Options
    George North is just awesome.Has the whole shooting match pace,all the power you could want and silky skills as well and only 19!
  • Options
    tbh seemed unfair Wales didn't get awarded that first try - with what would've been their second they would have had a big deserved lead - some poor kicking until LH stepped up too. Cracking game.
  • Options

At least England have started to show some discipline and cut out the silly penalties, with the exception of Matt Stevens that is. Jonno's team would have lost that game at Murrayfield.
    Yeah, the stupid penalties and lack of discipline have really cost us in recent years so if Lancaster does nothing else other than cut that down/out he'll have done a decent job.

We were lucky to win that game but in view of the fact that the team was so inexperienced I think a lucky win was probably the best we could hope for.

• Options
    Flew up on Saturday morning, froze to death in the Murrayfield press box, then waited five hours at the airport yesterday to fly back. England were ordinary, but they got into it more during the second half. Robshaw grew into the game and Botha was impressive. Charlie H kicked badly, and I'm not sure he'll remain when Flood's fit. Scotland could still be out there now and not score. Two on ones, advantages, goal line surges - they mucked up the lot.

As for Dan Parks' kicking... He spent the first half finding Foden's arms from 50 yards, and then found Hodgson's hands from three feet to surrender the try. It's not a great England side - not even a good one yet, but they had to ditch the ones they did, so they had to start from somewhere, and this is where they are.

Italy could well upset England next week, just by bullying them up front. Wales and Ireland were a league above both of them, and it's hard to judge where the French stand at the moment. At the moment I'd have Wales winning the whole thing, based on them facing the French in Cardiff, not Paris on the last day and Scotland collapsing against Italy in Rome on the same afternoon to collect the wooden spoon. I think Ireland will beat England fairly easily.

As a side issue, after the game, all the players go to a lounge, mix with each other, and the press walk around and talk to whoever they want. It's all very civilised and grown up, and it works really well. Journalists are free to write whatever they want, and they do, but nobody makes up quotes or takes them out of context, because they know they'll be facing the same players next week. It's self-regulating, just as it should be.

At Wembley, we get put in a corridor leading off from the dressing rooms, and the players walk past, headphones clamped on ears, and pretend they can't see us. That's deemed the "mixed-zone" where we get to do post-match interviews. It's farcical. With very few exceptions, I would work with rugby players, rather than footballers, every day of the week...
  • Options
    Flew up on Saturday morning, froze to death in the Murrayfield press box, then waited five hours at the airport yesterday to fly back. England were ordinary, but they got into it more during the second half. Robshaw grew into the game and Botha was impressive. Charlie H kicked badly, and I'm not sure he'll remain when Flood's fit. Scotland could still be out there now and not score. Two on ones, advantages, goal line surges - they mucked up the lot.

As for Dan Parks' kicking... He spent the first half finding Foden's arms from 50 yards, and then found Hodgson's hands from three feet to surrender the try. It's not a great England side - not even a good one yet, but they had to ditch the ones they did, so they had to start from somewhere, and this is where they are.

Italy could well upset England next week, just by bullying them up front. Wales and Ireland were a league above both of them, and it's hard to judge where the French stand at the moment. At the moment I'd have Wales winning the whole thing, based on them facing the French in Cardiff, not Paris on the last day and Scotland collapsing against Italy in Rome on the same afternoon to collect the wooden spoon. I think Ireland will beat England fairly easily.

As a side issue, after the game, all the players go to a lounge, mix with each other, and the press walk around and talk to whoever they want. It's all very civilised and grown up, and it works really well. Journalists are free to write whatever they want, and they do, but nobody makes up quotes or takes them out of context, because they know they'll be facing the same players next week. It's self-regulating, just as it should be.

At Wembley, we get put in a corridor leading off from the dressing rooms, and the players walk past, headphones clamped on ears, and pretend they can't see us. That's deemed the "mixed-zone" where we get to do post-match interviews. It's farcical. With very few exceptions, I would work with rugby players, rather than footballers, every day of the week...
    Thanks for that Mick. An interesting perspective.
  • Options
    Really interesting insight, Mick. Thanks.
    So
    Wales
    France
    Ireland
    Italy
    England
    Scotland

a possible final table. Dare one use the 'gel' word as a reason for Englands necessary transition?
  • Options
    I think England are going to fare better than a lot of people are making out. We beat Scotland away for the first time since 2004, with a team that had never played together before, by the end of the match 7 people had made debuts. Ok it wasn't a vintage display by any means, but the togetherness the team showed and the resilience surely bodes well for the future. Then look at what players are still to come in; Lawes, Flood, Tuilagi, Wood and I think we have the makings of a very decent team. A backline of Youngs, Flood, Farrell and Tuilagi is much more balanced, and more potent than with Hodgson and Barritt in there, so I think there's exciting times ahead for this team.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I think England are going to fare better than a lot of people are making out. We beat Scotland away for the first time since 2004, with a team that had never played together before, by the end of the match 7 people had made debuts. Ok it wasn't a vintage display by any means, but the togetherness the team showed and the resilience surely bodes well for the future. Then look at what players are still to come in; Lawes, Flood, Tuilagi, Wood and I think we have the makings of a very decent team. A backline of Youngs, Flood, Farrell and Tuilagi is much more balanced, and more potent than with Hodgson and Barritt in there, so I think there's exciting times ahead for this team.
    You're right that England have better players to come back but I wonder about the overall strength of the forwards, especially the front 5. The front row was arguably our first choice selection for example and whilst I would accept, to a point, that the front row is only as good as the 5 behind I'm not convinced our second row and number 8 are going to be up to it when at full strength although I do like Lawes. Croft and Wood are good wing forwards but neither are really number 8s.

In short will we get enough decent ball to what, on paper, is a decent back line at full strength? I have my doubts.

That said it is a young side and forwards are like good wine in that they improve with age. I think this season probably needs to be regarded as one of transition and any decent results (like Saturday) accepted as a bonus.