Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next England Manager?

Comments

• Options
    I can never see the issue with having a foreign manager - rather a good foreign one than an average English one, and they can bring in new ideas at times.

Erikssen was a mile better than Keegan or McLaren, for example, Trapattoni is doing a lot better with Ireland than Kerr....

For me it is a matter of principal, I do not believe that any country in the top 20 should have a non national manager. And nationality eligibility rules should be tightened so that you don't qualify just because your mothers nieces friends sisters brother drank guiness.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Talk of trouble at FA headquaters in soho square, Cappello fumming over the John Terry captain issue, lets just say he was to walk, who really could be the next England manager and take us into the euros full of confidence and pride? If old Arry gets done for his tax he will never be allowed to be the England boss so who is left? Whisper it around these parts but even old ex boss of ours has apparently been earmarked for an interview at least, Pards for england.. surely not so who else would a) take the job and b)the fans want. Im thinking of having a little punt of Chris Powell being the first Black england manager but not for sometime yet and think the odds would be pretty long so worth a cheeky fiver.
    I can see why Capello is fuming if he's at Soho Square as The FA aren't based there anymore...

• Options
    Wenger
  • Options
    Whoever can motivate the team best, whether the foreign or not. Just need passion
  • Options
    Seriously, from a pure footballing perspective would you take the job if you were Redknapp? What does an England manager get? One possibly two tournaments? He has two choices if offered the job:

1. Leave Spurs when you have qualified for the Champions League and are now considered genuine title contenders, to take the England job and try and win the World Cup...in Brazil which there is absolutely no chance of happening.

2. Stay at Spurs for another two years and take the job after the 2014 World Cup when England have been knocked out of the group stages and after you may have won a league title with Spurs.

In short, he has more chance of winning something with Spurs over the next two years than he does with England.

• Options
    I'd take Wenger
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Don't agree Noly - very difficult situation he went into with liverpool, with Hicks and Gilette hanging on.

DId decently at Inter. Organises teams well and simply, which is important in international football - Harry being good in the trasfer market wouldn't help here.
    Hodgson is the only choice for me if we must go with an Englishman in the next few years. He's managed and done very well at internatioanal level before and has reached the finals of European competitions at club level. Don't think Harry's ever done that has he?

Also, where has this myth of 'Arry playing a blinder in the transfer market come from (his mates in the media???). The truth is if you sign enough players at least some of them will come good by the law of averages. If they don't he moves them on and gets in another one. To be frank we could all spend shed loads of someone elses money doing that.

Ask a West Ham fan if the rubbish he brought in was money well spent and I think you'd get a different view.

• Options
    Nobody has highlighted the huge difference between managing one Club, and managing the International Team. Think about the two job specs and they would be very different. Building one team that you work with every day and working for one owner who may know very little about the game ( think Americans, Arabs etc ), or having to scour the Country to put together a squad then work with them for short spells, often just for one game. Deal with Managers/Clubs who are worried about injuries to their £100K a week little heroes, and what it would mean to them, and of course having to satisfy the FA whilst being constantly abused by the British media ( they are the ones who really wanted to be players ).

The only man who has ever won a Tournament for us was Alf Ramsay, think about him as a character and then don't write off Roy Hodgson too easily.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Holloway
    Yup, thats where Harry will be
    At least he wouldn't have to worry about dropping the soap in there!

• Options
    Think it has to go to Mugson, after all, he is in charge of a MASSIVE club at present.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would he cope with the step down though?
  • Options
    Hmmm, there lies the problem.
  • Options
    Thinking about it they might as well give it to Martin Samuels as him and his mates pick the team anyway don't they?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The way I read it Capello will leave at the end of his contract, which is after the Euros. I wonder if he's being outspoken because he doesn't want to continue as our manager?

It is a difficult job - the English press and public expect the national team to do well (if not win!), whereas we all know that this country produces one or two true world class players each generation. Each new crop of hopefuls gets found out when they come up against a team of real world class players.

Hodgson could be a good choice - he's used to working with players of limited ability. The problem with top club managers is that they're used to being able to buy their way out of trouble - sadly it's not possible for the England manager to slip Portugal a few mil to buy Ronaldo.
  • Options
    Englishman.........'Arry is the only English coach recently that has got together a team that play football
    foreigner.....Dick Advocaat
  • Options
    The way I read it Capello will leave at the end of his contract, which is after the Euros. I wonder if he's being outspoken because he doesn't want to continue as our manager?

It is a difficult job - the English press and public expect the national team to do well (if not win!), whereas we all know that this country produces one or two true world class players each generation. Each new crop of hopefuls gets found out when they come up against a team of real world class players.

Hodgson could be a good choice - he's used to working with players of limited ability. The problem with top club managers is that they're used to being able to buy their way out of trouble - sadly it's not possible for the England manager to slip Portugal a few mil to buy Ronaldo.
    Agree with most of this Saga Lout except the England team of 1966 wasn't full of world class players but as a unit they were world beaters.
  • Options
    Redknapp before the recent court case would have been nailed on, Jose, would be popular and could be coming back to England in the Knowledge Cappello is leaving after the Euros, however the FA will give the Special One a wide berth i think, Wenger has been courted before about the job, but i think he has his eye on the French job, and given his performances over the last year or so he hasnt done himself any favours, Roy Hodgson, maybe, but the Liverpool period may just have gone against him with regards to handling the big players, and tactics in the cups, personally i would like to have seen Harry give the job, or even Jose, however i can see Pearce getting the job, due to his involvement in the U21s and first team, personally i dont feel he is the man for the job but then what do i know, i am just a football fan.
  • Options
    I agree Deadred, but I was thinking more about the modern era, say post-1990.
  • Options
    Fair comment Saga Lout that's why someone like Arry Boy would get the best out of what he has to work with although it's unlikely the FA will take a chance with him irrespective of the outcome of his trial, but I hope I'm wrong because Pearce isn't the answer IMO either.
  • Options
    Totally agree about Pearce. I can imagine that nobody would want to have to face him in the changing room after putting in a poor performance, but aside from that, I'm not sure he has many other qualities.

Curbs would've been the man, but as has been said, he's too long out of the game now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Given that the FA deem being subject to a court case as reason to strip a player of benefits then the fact that Harry's case has even come to trial should rule him out of the managers job whatever the outcome.

Anyone but 'Arry I say.

If it has to be England then Pearce or Pards - Better a Philanderer than a Fraud. Some people have evern mentioned Hope Powell but I can't see that happening.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I think the FA will be looking primarily for an English manager after two spells with foreigners (McCLaren's time too short to count!). The media can also be expected to campaign for a homegrown manager. There is widespread opinion that it is demeaning and harmful to England's status as one of the world's leading footballing countries if it is unable to provide a national team manager from among its own ranks. The problem for the FA is that the Premier League is full of club managers who are Scottish, Welsh, Irish, French, Italian, Spanish etc so very few English managers have the sort of qualifications they'll be looking for. If Harry is convicted, I think the FA would consider it inappropriate to appoint him. That leaves only Hodgson, Pulis and Pardew from the Premier League plus Atkins, Allardyce, Mowbray and Hughton from the Championship. None is ideal but Hodgson seems the standout candidate as the only one with top level international experience. My money would still be on Harry, however, with Hodgson next and Pearce after that.
  • Options
    1) Jose Mourinho
    2) Redknapp
    3) Mario Ballotelli

Honestly can't think of anyone outside Jose or 'arry that I'd want...
  • Options
    Think quite a likely scenario will be almost an imediate swap after euro...Harry to england, Capello to spurs.

There is only one person for the Job in my eyes, whatever you might think of him, its Harry redknapp.
  • Options
    Given that the FA deem being subject to a court case as reason to strip a player of benefits then the fact that Harry's case has even come to trial should rule him out of the managers job whatever the outcome.

Anyone but 'Arry I say.

If it has to be England then Pearce or Pards - Better a Philanderer than a Fraud. Some people have evern mentioned Hope Powell but I can't see that happening.

Would hope not. Chris Powell is more qualified for the job than Hope Powell having managed at a significantly higher level than international women's football during his short time at Charlton.
  • Options
    Very funny, RCT.

Still think Curbs would be a good candidate - been doing punditry so still close to all that is going on. Need a manager who can work with what's available and get the best out of them....but who also has integrity. Not many of them about.
  • Options
    Very funny, RCT.

I honestly wasnt trying to be funny for a change ;-)

Ive watched enough womens football in recent years to say it is no way that even at international standard that the level of football is as consistently at the same level of the level Charlton play at. Well certainly not England's team anyhow.
  • Options
    Harry's getting on and would probably take the job and retire after WC 2014.

However...

I would love to see Ian Holloway as England Manager.
  • Options
    If not Redknapp then Curbs all the way.