Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next England Manager?

Comments

• Options
    I saw that Wayne tweeted last night his support for Harry.

Cheers for that Wayne now do one please and keep your beak out of it until your employers have made that decision. No one ever asks me who my boss should be and this sums up exactly why the England team has failed in so many cases.

I hate Twitter.
  • Options
    Noticed that - he really is a dunce. An overrated one as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    But he has been managing England (U21s) internationally for quite a few years now and some would say succesfully too!
  • Options
    Are you on a wind up Mutley? It's been very subtle but I've long suspected it. His record is on a par with somebody like David Platt i suppose and he has relegated less teams than Ray Wilkins so maybe i'm being a bit harsh on him.
  • Options
    Stuart Pearce has been put in charge for the Holland game.
  • Options
    And have the numpties at the FA learnt anything about how to appoint a new manager - it appears not. They are going to take ages to draw up a shortlist while the press and every Tom Dick and Harry has the tupennyworth - and then the first choice might not agree. Why cannot they just spend the afternoon discussing the merits of the various candidates with some people who know about football in secret - and then just approach their first choice candidate - all in secret - and get the whole thing sorted by next Tuesday/Wednesday.
    In secret? Like "tapping up" you mean? ;-)

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Bexley Dan - what makes you think that club record should have any bearing on suitability - Don Revie was a brilliant club manager - Sven's and Capello's club records speak for themselves - Keegan did a good job at Newcastle, Hoddle had a good club CV, Taylor has some major club achievements to his name etc... If people make the valid point about the FA not learning, surely there is a lesson to be had there.

Three of the four names I have highlighted have international experience at national level as well as some success and Wenger has extensive Championship knowledge and a deep knowledge of the foreign game which can be seen by the young foreign players he has brought to Arsenal. Not a wind up at all, maybe a better memory than some- that's all!
  • Options
    I think the question bigger than 'who do the F.A want' is 'who would actually want the job'?

Apart from the fanacial benefits, it has always been a job that has broken managers reputation more than enhanced it.

Steve MaClaren has said recently that he'd like another crack at it in the future...................
  • Options
    In secret? Like "tapping up" you mean? ;-)

No - they could still ask the club chairman for permission to approach the chosen candidate - and then get him to sign a confidentiality agreement. Just remember the mess last time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stuart Pearce has been put in charge for the Holland game.
    Lets not be childish but I told you so. Na Na Ner Na Na
  • Options
    For me if it has to be English(which i dont agree with) then id go for Hodgson or Mclaren back, in my opinion if we gave it to Redknapp all we would get is another QF loss if we were lucky but plenty of great comments for the chest beating englishmen and papers to enjoy, no thanks.

Plus Redknapp would be crazy to take it as he is doing an alright job at Spurs.
  • Options
    Am I the only one that thinks the England job would be too taxing for Harry Redknapp?
  • Options
    No, from what he has said in court, the more taxing the better!
  • Options
    QF of major tournaments is about our level. I'd just like to see a bit more future planning, rather than short termism.

We need someone with new ideas who can improve England as a footballing nation from the ground up.

Don't care who we put in charge for the Euros; I'd probably take a temporary appointment if we could go all out to steal Joachim Low from the Germans once it's finished.
  • Options
    You have all missed a vital point. Rednapp will not take the England job. Where will the bungs be coming from certainly not from transfers?? and what will his poor penniless dog do ??
  • Options
    English for me. 'Arry would be my choice. Who else is there? Allardyce could do the job but with his past health problems why take on the stress. Hodgson could do a job. Please, please not Stuart Pearce. And if it's Pardew then I'm going to become French.
  • Options
    There is a lot to be said for a temporary appointment - if they are a success then offer them the riches, if not make the change until you find somebody that does. Some might accuse the FA in recent times of coming in too quick with the mega handcuff offers and then being stuck with the wrong man!
  • Options
    Is it me or do the FA not care FA about the England Football team. The last winning manager they appointed was Sir Alf Ramsay in 1963. They tend to pick on people that can handle the press first, be a diplomat second and a football manager a poor third. Terry Venables and Bobby Robson excluded. Years ago everyone knew that Brian Clough would have been a great manager of the national team and i am convinced if he had been in charge then we would of won things. He would have told the FA they were FA and they knew FA about football. Which brings me to my point.
    You need a strong personality to get these high earning "could not care less" England players to perform. Some are not fit to wear the shirt the way they play for their country.

Rednapp and Pearce both have drive, determination and the force of personality to succeed. Is their a better option???

Another thing the FA knows FA about common law. I dont agree with what Terry is alleged to have done but his trial is not till July. A man is innocent until proved guilty. The FA have stripped him of his captaincy therefore they think he's guilty. Is this contempt of court or at least prejudicing the outcome of the trial??

• Options
    Chris Powell 50/1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Let's hope it's 'One game Pearce' .. BUT .. if he is misguidely given the job, or more likely the role as Redknapp H's numero dos (that is number 2 for all non Romance language readers) then good luck to him.. he's gonna need it. Ray Clemence has made a career for himself for the past few years through wearing a nice blazer and turning up to sit alongside whoever is/was the England manager. Who could begrudge Old Psycho a similar role in our nation's future.
  • Options
    Bexley Dan - what makes you think that club record should have any bearing on suitability - Don Revie was a brilliant club manager - Sven's and Capello's club records speak for themselves - Keegan did a good job at Newcastle, Hoddle had a good club CV, Taylor has some major club achievements to his name etc... If people make the valid point about the FA not learning, surely there is a lesson to be had there.

Three of the four names I have highlighted have international experience at national level as well as some success and Wenger has extensive Championship knowledge and a deep knowledge of the foreign game which can be seen by the young foreign players he has brought to Arsenal. Not a wind up at all, maybe a better memory than some- that's all!
    Each to their own but that argument is a bit like saying the last couple of met police chiefs weren't much cop so lets stop putting candidates who seem to have what it takes in the job and lets go with a rookie who's plodding the beat. I agree it needs somebody who knows our players and game but even Pearce himself has admitted he's not 'ready' for it yet.
  • Options
    Apparently Redknapp will not be allowed to pick his own coaching staff. When are the FA going to learn that a manager's staff has a lot to do with his success so far. You should never force coaching staff onto a manager. Charlton tried that with Dowie...
  • Options
    1-Redknapp
    2-Curbishley
    3-Holloway
  • Options
    Those saying Pearce, I'm not sure if anyone remembers the U21 championships last summer, well if you don't we didn't make it out of the group stages. 2 draws and a defeat. Fair enough it was a tricky group however looking at the players involved: Jones, Welbeck, Sturridge, Cleverley, Smalling, Walker. The list of good young players goes on and many of these are involved in the full England squad, if he couldn't get these players to work last year can we expect him to do that well with them in the Euros this summer? I think not
  • Options
    Bet Darren Bent doesn't want it to be 'Arry...
  • Options
    Bet Darren Bent doesn't want it to be 'Arry...
    LOL. What did 'Arry say "My missus could have scored that one".
    The only cap Bent will get from 'Arry is a dunce's cap
  • Options
    Pearce has already said that he wouldn't be applying for the England job after Capello left in the summer "I don't have the experience". (Radio 5 Live interview in October 2011). So he has ruled himself out.

Very Wise.

The England job is for an experienced man- manager, not a coach. Taylor, Hoddle, Keegan and McLaren were all appointed too early in their careers. Ramsey, Venables and Robson were at the experienced stage and had degrees of success. (Revie was just a poor choice).

I doubt if Redknapp will take it. He will stay loyal to his employers who have supported him during his court case. He's had enough of the press intrusion that comes with the England job.

Hodgson & Hiddink both have the experience of preparing a team for a major tournament. There aren't many other experienced candidates.
  • Options
    Paolo Di Canio?

If you're asking for passion...
  • Options
    What I would be looking for is quite simple - a) International experience (and success) and b) Knowledge of English players and game - definitely not Rocket Science. Now for me Redknapp only ticks one of these reasonably simple boxes like previous appointments. Miraculously, when the FA have ticked box a they have failed to tick box b but generally they merely tick box b. Venables ticked boxes a and b as did Bobby Robson (both winning titles abroad). Like I said, not Rocket science, or maybe it is judging from the papers, some comments on here and from the FA!!!!!