Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunday Sun?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Jdsd42 is referring to an article from
    1984 written by Mike Langley
  • Options
    I have never bothered with the sun but being Britains most popular paper (or so the advert suggests) i have always thought it had good buissness sense. It knows how to sell papers. Cocky headlines. Opinionated writers. page 3 models. premiership rumours. celebrity gossip and a few funny comments. all for 20p.
    also for 20p you can get a concise inderpedent. which overall i feel is more worth it than the sun.
    or you can get 2 packets of space invaders for 10p (unless its gone up) which would be better value than the sun as well.
    The Independent - A newspaper written by graduates on free work experience who use large photogprahs to cover their lack of content.
  • Options
    I have never bothered with the sun but being Britains most popular paper (or so the advert suggests) i have always thought it had good buissness sense. It knows how to sell papers. Cocky headlines. Opinionated writers. page 3 models. premiership rumours. celebrity gossip and a few funny comments. all for 20p.
    also for 20p you can get a concise inderpedent. which overall i feel is more worth it than the sun.
    or you can get 2 packets of space invaders for 10p (unless its gone up) which would be better value than the sun as well.
    The Independent - A newspaper written by graduates on free work experience who use large photogprahs to cover their lack of content.

The 20p concise newspaper is preciley that... concise. Its not going to have loads of content but compared to the sun, its a fountain of knowlege.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

The 20p concise newspaper is preciley that... concise. Its not going to have loads of content but compared to the sun, its a fountain of knowlege.

Compared to the sun a palace forum is a fountain of knowledge.
  • Options
    A fountain of knowledge it may be. Written by unpaid work experience it is. As is most of the full version.
  • Options
    Says it all DRF, something written by kids is vastly superior to something done by so called professionals.
  • Options
    Katy Price is the star columnist in the new Sunday rag. She'll be an MP before we know it on the basis that 90% of male Sun readers don't care a fig who runs the country so long as she has big tits .... I'll be buying a few copies as 'first day editions'
  • Options
    Let's get one thing straight at least. It's not a newspaper is it ? It's a poorly put together gossip and scandal rag that appeals to those that want to read scurrilous stories about Jordan and Simon Cowell and are not really into reading about what is going on in Syria or about the euro crisis, presidential election or the sword hanging over our NHS. A publication but please not a newspaper.
  • Options
    Let's get one thing straight at least. It's not a newspaper is it ? It's a poorly put together gossip and scandal rag that appeals to those that want to read scurrilous stories about Jordan and Simon Cowell and are not really into reading about what is going on in Syria or about the euro crisis, presidential election or the sword hanging over our NHS. A publication but please not a newspaper.
    I'd be surprised if it's poorly put together - too much money at stake.
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if it's poorly put together - too much money at stake.

In actual fact I have just bought it so I can see for myself. No its not poorly put together to be honest and the sport aspect is pretty good. All my other point are still valid though I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Syria is thousands of miles away and as such any influence I have on events in this region will be minimal at best.

As for the presidential elections, the events of 1776 mean that I will be unable to participate.

This is a joke right ?
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2012
    I predict that the Sun will be sold to the Daily Express owners, who are said to be keen.

News International will get a better price for the paper with the Sun on Sunday, and it makes it looks as though it is a going concern. It had to be published when it was as with Leveson and ongoing revelations would have made it difficult to publish it afterwards.

The ongoing Leveson enquiry has alleged that the Sun ran a corrupt network of bribed police, government and other officials. This puts it in breach of US corruption of public rules for corporations that state US companies cannot bribe public officials. The fines can be hundreds of millions.The US courts will levy less fines if the company discloses all the worst information regarding corruption and breaches of practise.

Murdoch's attempt to create a cross media brand and unite content from online to print to television is innovative and interesting. They have always been ahead of the game on those kind of things.

I really dislike the total amorality in the pursuit of story and profit. As Charlotte Church said that the Sun and News International are not sorry about their practises but sorry that they got caught. It depresses me the amount of people that read the paper, given the knowledge of what they have done.

Whether the readers like the Sun on Sunday without the in depth exposes gathered by phone hacking and other dodgy practises is anyones guess. It is stated by the American executives that the group will be more profitable without the news paper side of the operation and the likely US court actions will encourage them to get rid. These are the other reasons, why Murdoch will let the title be sold.

Soon enough, the Sun will be run by different owners.
  • Options
    I really hope you are not suggesting that Richard Desmond will be an improvement?

And this would be the Charlotte Church who was digusted by the hacking and determind to take them to court over it. Right up until they offered even more money. Very moral.
  • Options
    some celeb gets £100K for being hassled by the press/media which the majority love. A service man gets his legs blown off serving his country and get less the £20K----------------f++kin joke.

Saw the Sunday Sun last week ---------------NoTw 100% ---no surprise really.
  • Options
    I really hope you are not suggesting that Richard Desmond will be an improvement?

And this would be the Charlotte Church who was digusted by the hacking and determined to take them to court over it. Right up until they offered even more money. Very moral.
    Not sure really it would be different. Richard Desmond does not have quite the same reach into government. He seems less adept at manipulating and intimidating politicians to pass leglislation that favours his business. It also reduces the dominance of Murdoch as a share of the British media, which is a good thing.

No one person or corporation should dominate the media landscape to that degree. Many different people and organisations (including the BBC) should be involved. The temptation to misuse that power, is too much. Berlusconi in Italy is another example of that.

I admire Murdoch's vision in trying to combine content accross platforms but the unscrupulous business practises, I can't take

Charlotte Church

I got a link for Charlotte Church. Of the £600,00, £300,000 went on legal costs. I actually think she was pretty brave. She came accross well in the interview below. She's going up against a big organisation, which is still powerful who have a room full of top notch lawyers. The pressure must have been immense.

Basically she settled as the News International Lawyers were going to drag her mother, who attempted suicide and self harmed back through the courts. She was worried about the psychological damage it would inflict. Read the links, it is all pretty unsavoury stuff. Why anyone would want to read about that kind of stuff, I don't know. News International got into every aspect of their lives. No one deserves that. Hacking the priests telephone who was counselling her mother over her suicide attempt. Not nice.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/feb/27/charlotte-church-phone-hacking

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/feb/27/charlotte-church-phone-hacking-settled

• Options
    some celeb gets £100K for being hassled by the press/media which the majority love. A service man gets his legs blown off serving his country and get less the £20K----------------f++kin joke.

Saw the Sunday Sun last week ---------------NoTw 100% ---no surprise really.
    I am totally with you on the amount of support, our armed services get when injured in battle. It is disgraceful. Going into a war without adequate protection and equipment as well. Best soldiers in the world with the worst procurement. Treated really badly after serving for us.

I'd set that £20,000 grand up against the amount top premiership footballers get rewarded per week as well and the rewards and bonus' some professions get as well. It is all mixed up.

• Options
    but its only 50p?
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2012

The Sunday Sun have launched a discount scheme for millitary personel and veterans.

------------

Doesn't really make up for all the dodgy practises over the years though, does it ? Not sure what would.