Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbishley turns down Wolves job

Comments

• Options
    He's heard the Sir Chris is to be sacked after our recent performances!!
  • Options
    edited February 2012

He's in a position where he can afford to look at the reasons not to take on a job before the reasons to take it. .
    This. I have a suspicion that Curbs is far from convinced that he actually wants another job.

This is going to sound arrogant, but please accept my insistence that it isn't; it's merely an honest expression of why I feel I can understand why he applied for the post and then backed away when he was offered it.

I'm sure AC has got plenty more money than me. But I've got enough; like Curbs, by the age of 50 I had sufficient that I never needed to work again.

Like him, in recent years I've done plenty of lucrative freelance stuff, partly to keep my hand in and partly because it is hard to say no to a big fat fee for doing absolutely nothing but expressing your opinion, based on your supposed ''experience''.

Like him, in the many (17) years that have elapsed since I last had a salaried job, I have applied for various high-profile jobs - and, more often than not, have been offered them. But I've turned them all down.

So why did I apply for them ? In large part, to prove to myself that I was still ''marketable'' and hadn't turned into a past-his-sell-by-date has-been. But when I examined the stress and pressure I was going to take on in return for money I didn't actually need, I ran a mile.

I've got a feeling that's what's going on with Curbs. You've got to really feel it and want it in order to take a job when you have no financial motivation to do so. He will recall the excitement and elation of the good days when you win - and then he will remember the desperation and misery of the days when you lose. Plus the fact that you are placing your fate in someone else's hands and working for 'the man' again.

Once you've enjoyed the pleasure of being entirely unaccountable to anyone,it becomes bloody hard to go back to having a boss.

So you balance one against the other - and without any necessity for the financial side of it, you end up saying 'Sod it, I don't need the aggro that goes with taking a job again'.

• Options
    he's applied for the job, to turn it down looksa little like he lacks the bottle required
  • Options
    Not if they only offered him 6 months, then a 'rolling' contract.
  • Options
    Not if they only offered him 6 months, then a 'rolling' contract.
    Why would you offer him anything else when he has been out of the game for so long. Maybe expecting a long term contract is now a sign of being out of touch with football as it stands today, especially with a team that may be relegated.

• Options
    Ia

Fair play to you doesn't sound arrogant to me very level headed and to a point aspirational

I think your right maybe I was harsh saying career suicide I hadn't thought of that point , I strive everyday I work to be the best I can and work very long hours to achieve it , at the detriment in parts to my family my friends and social life , I hope oneday to utilise all I have learnt from working in a huge corporation to oneday branching out on my own and offering other businesses the benefit of what I have learnt ,

Well done you
  • Options
    Strange decision, has to be the best offer he's going to get right now.. although as the window is shut id guess he thinks the current squad is destined for the drop
    Why would Curbs wait all this time to get back into management and join a relegation dogfight. Would be a stupid decision. Start back with a team in mid table/ play-off contender, but with high expectations, seems a better option.
  • Options
    Ive heard rumours that he wasnt happy with the contract length they were offering. i.e. potentially they were suggesting that his contract would be reviewed in the summer. to be fair to curbs, the transfer windows shut, wolves are pony, i wouldnt take a job on the basis that ive basically gotta keep that lot up with no opportunity to try and make your stamp on the squad. if you take a job you wanna be able to see it is a project and make your mark on it, hes not got any wolves connections so hes got no motivation to risk his reputation just to try and keep wolves up.
  • Options
    I think if Wolves are going to change managers now, they need to give the new man the security of at least a contract to summer 2013. Why take on a sinking ship and risk your reputation if you're not going to at least be given the chance to bring in your own players and take them back up the following season. It sounds like he's efffectively being asked to clean up someone elses mess and shoulder all the blame and damage to reputation if he can't clear it up by May, it's not very reasonable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11699/7530566/Wolves-manager-hunt-on-course
    I'm pretty sure that Wolves will be playing Leeds next year, so Moxey will get his wish.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17098513

Curbs has ruled himself out completely it seems.
  • Options
    There is no more substance in that story than in the SSN one a few days ago.
  • Options
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11699/7530566/Wolves-manager-hunt-on-course
    I'm pretty sure that Wolves will be playing Leeds next year, so Moxey will get his wish.
    And us! COYR!!
  • Options
    ESPNsoccernet understands Alan Curbishley has turned down the Wolverhampton Wanderers job.

Curbishley has been out of work since leaving West Ham United in 2008, but he was believed to be the frontrunner to replace Mick McCarthy at Wolves after being interviewed for the position on Friday, with chairman Steve Morgan having earlier said: "He's got a great track record, he's been there and done that before and he's exactly the calibre of person that we're looking for."

However, Curbishley turned down the position on Saturday after having been offered a contract until the end of the season, with the 54-year-old only willing to accept a longer term deal.

Chief executive Jez Moxey said at the weekend: "This job requires a certain type of manager and someone who is going to give us complete commitment and enthusiasm.

"'We would only ever appoint somebody who clearly demonstrated to us that they really want the job."

Steve Bruce, who was also interviewed on Friday, is also reported to be reluctant to accept a short-term contract, which may provide former Sunderland and Ipswich Town boss Roy Keane with the opportunity to return to management.

For more on Football, visit ESPNsoccernet.com
  • Options
    There is an account which claims Curbs is on Twitter @alancurbishley ,a sports journalist James Fielden is following him. The Express and Star say it is fake .

Last week as mentioned above I picked up through Fielden that Curb's son Michael said the interview had not gone well ,since then Michael's account has blocked people from following because stuff he had told his mates started to appear on Wolves Forums .

A couple of days later this account claiming to be the great man himself appeared.

If it is genuine it is indicating that he is still in the running for the job.I suspect it is a fake but have followed it on the off chance.
  • Options
    IA's notes are interesting but lack the allowance that ex football managers always crave the excessive adrenalin that goes with the job. If Curbs had been offered a longer contract he would probably have taken the job. And why not? Wolves have a sound fan base and he could have turned them around given time. As things stand, I think Curbs was right to turn down a short contract. Bruce cannot afford a relegation either, so he should also avoid the short contract.
  • Options
    Wolves want to have their cake and eat it. 3 month contract in return they expect complete commitment and enthusiasm.... hmmm
    Maybe their plan is to appoint a longer term replacement at the season end, when they may also be better able to entice someone currently employed.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Wolves want to have their cake and eat it. 3 month contract in return they expect complete commitment and enthusiasm.... hmmm
    Maybe their plan is to appoint a longer term replacement at the season end, when they may also be better able to entice someone currently employed.
    Wolves' bargaining position seems unrealistic and a bit unreasonable to me. If they end up appointing someone like Keane, who's reputation has fallen so far he has little option but to take any job he is offered, it'll prove that they're not willing to put their money where their mouth is. Absolutely pointless sacking Big Mick unless they are willing to do what's necessary to get a manager with some kind of proven track record. Mick is not one of the very top managers operating in England, but he's arguably in the top 10%. Keane isn't even in the top 80% imo.

• Options
    What sort of a deal is this that Wolves are offering? Keep us up and then we'll talk about a new deal? Yes, sounds really tempting that one, doesn't it?

They won't get any decent manager with this sort of deal on offer, relegation beckons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    The Wolves owner is right to go for a locum manager. Everything in the future depends on whether his club is relegated or not. Some managers are suited to the premiership, some to the championship. Which division Wolves will be in next season will be a large determinent in what kind of manager is needed in the longer term. McCarthy looked shattered, worn out and at his wits end just before his sacking and it was obvious that an immediate change was needed. Morgan, the Wolves owner needs to get his next long term managerial appointment exactly right and take time in coming to a decision. Now is not the time for leisurely decision making, it's the time for action. If job applicants like Bruce and Curbishley are perhaps more interested in 'long term' security and ensuring a big golden parachute agreement than in the immediate plight of Wolves, then perhaps they are not the man/men for the job. A firefighter like Keene with a seemingly short attention span might be just what the Wolves need to get them short term relief. Whoever gets the job will need to be ruthless, be able to make decisions on the hoof and to decide very quickly what is his best side. Good luck to whoever gets the job.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The Wolves owner is right to go for a locum manager. Everything in the future depends on whether his club is relegated or not. Some managers are suited to the premiership, some to the championship. Which division Wolves will be in next season will be a large determinent in what kind of manager is needed in the longer term. McCarthy looked shattered, worn out and at his wits end just before his sacking and it was obvious that an immediate change was needed. Morgan, the Wolves owner needs to get his next long term managerial appointment exactly right and take time in coming to a decision. Now is not the time for leisurely decision making, it's the time for action. If job applicants like Bruce and Curbishley are perhaps more interested in 'long term' security and ensuring a big golden parachute agreement than in the immediate plight of Wolves, then perhaps they are not the man/men for the job. A firefighter like Keene with a seemingly short attention span might be just what the Wolves need to get them short term relief. Whoever gets the job will need to be ruthless, be able to make decisions on the hoof and to decide very quickly what is his best side. Good luck to whoever gets the job.
    Very perceptive post. They need a confident personality - a firefighter/Red Adair-type figure - prepared to say, 'Pay me the going rate between now and May, and if I keep you up, you'll pay me a £1 million bonus. If I fail, I'll walk away'.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    exactly .....
  • Options
    @inc Very perceptive post. They need a confident personality - a firefighter/Red Adair figure - prepared to say, 'Pay me the going rate, and if I keep you up, you'll pay me a £1 million bonus. If I fail, I'll walk away'.

exactly .....
    It's all about the money, money, money ................. shame the way the game has gone and exactly the reason why Curbs wouldn't have thought twice about saying no.
  • Options
    @inc Very perceptive post. They need a confident personality - a firefighter/Red Adair figure - prepared to say, 'Pay me the going rate, and if I keep you up, you'll pay me a £1 million bonus. If I fail, I'll walk away'.

exactly .....
    Someone like Mick mc Carthy praps

• Options
    I don't blame Curbs for being a bit picky, and especially for not wanting to uproot to the Midlands for what might be a short-term appointment. It's his choice, he's lucky enough to afford to be picky and not so desperate that he's happy to be on the depressing managerial merry-go-round a la Megson, Warnock etc.

But I am intrigued as to what job he would take. There are only so many clubs within a reasonable drive from Chigwell
  • Options

exactly .....
    Someone like Iain Dowie, perhaps?

• Options

exactly .....
    Someone like Iain Dowie, perhaps?

I think you need some ability to justify the confidence... so no !
  • Options
    Still surprised he didn't go for the Ipswich job when Roy Keane went. Decent club with a bit of potential virtually on his doorstep, he could have built something up like he did at Charlton. If, as he said at a fans night last year that he does as well out of the media as managing a smaller club, then he probably won't bother I suppose. You wonder if he was so dispirited after the West Ham episode that it will need something very special to tempt him.
  • Options
    Surely Curbs is the man for both the Prem and the Championship. Why would he entertain a short term contract. I'd have thought that if they went down there wouldn't be a better man to get them back up. I don't think it's about money it's about reputation. If he stays for three or four seasons I suspect Wolves will be in the Prem if he stays for three months and they go down his CV will have taken a massive kicking for a few quid.