Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Ath v Rochdale 21 February 2012 - Preview, views, predictions and team news

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
Being a Preview Towers hack can be a thankless task. The pay is poor and the bosses harsh but at least there was always something new to write about.

But in recent months the team has been almost unchanged and the results so consistent that finding a new angle has been difficult.

It was tempting to do a quick cut and paste from the review written for the game's original date of 4 February but if the Club can produce a new programme then a fresh review is the least we can do. And for once the team selection really is a puzzle.

OK, the back five isn't going to change but the other 6 places could, and some would say should, change. BWP was dropped to the bench v Tranmere allowing Danny Haynes to make his first CAFC start. But the nifty striker pulled up with a tight hamstring so may not be risked v Rochdale.

Both BWP and Big Yann have failed to find the net in 2012 leading to calls for Haynes (if fit) and even forgotten man Paul Hayes to return to the starting XI.

Danny Green is also drawing mixed reviews and the clamour for Tranmere benchwarmer Scott Wagstaff to get some more game time is growing.

For many the balance across the middle, especially with Johnnie Jackson out, just isn't quite right.

One name not often mentioned is Andy Hughes yet it was his October spell as the holding midfielder that allowed both Danny Hollands and Rhoys Wiggins to get forward so effectively and when Charlton were notching 4 and 5 goal tallies. But there are sound arguments for any number of midfield combinations.

With games every Tuesday/Saturday for the next few weeks the temptation is there for Chris Powell to "rotate" his squad. The counter argument is that we are still 6 (six) points clear of 2nd place and a mere 11 clear of third so stick to what has worked well so far.

Charlton beat Rochdale 3 - 2 at Spotland in September. We had gone top four days earlier without playing due to Huddersfield 3 - 0 defeat of Sheffield Utd tipping the goal difference in our favour. We have been in pole position ever since.

Rochdale have spent much of the season in the bottom four and recently replaced their manager with Accrington Stanley's John Coleman. A last minute penalty last Saturday gave the Dale an important 3 points but they still sit 23rd. With only two away league wins all seasons this has to be a home banker. Doesn't it?

3 - 0 to the Addicks with BWP, Hollands and substitute Wagstaff on the scoresheet.

Comments

• Options
    We're going to lose, we can't score, we've been found out, lucky to make the play offs from now on
  • Options
    0-0
  • Options
    2-0 - in a comfortable but not classic match. BWP will break his drought very soon so I'll keep tipping him to score.
  • Options
    Not confident, the fans will get on the teams back if we dont start well...

A very tricky tie.
  • Options
    2-0 Stephens and BWP.

COYR
  • Options
    2-0 but a pony performance to leave the paranoid pessimists, amongst us , with something to cling on to !

• Options
    Charlton to get back to sizzling form and show everyone why we are top of the league!
  • Options
    another draw 1-1
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    We still have a healthy gap, but NEED a good performance and win to ease everyone's nerves and make a point to the rest of the league.
    The strikers aren't scoring, but it's not as if we're creating loads of chances that they are squandering, as we aren't dominating teams at the moment, in the way you'd expect the top of the table team to do most weeks. Maybe that suggests the problems lie in midfield?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4-0 charlton, push back any critics with a resounding win. Hollands (2), Kermit and Morro. BWP to start, play really well, set up a few goals but still not a goal for him i fear!!
  • Options
    Hoping for a solid win, and a good performance.

Would be tempted to start Hayes and BWP up front, Kerms has been brilliant but if there's going to be a game where CP brings back Hayes then tomorrow night is as good a chance as any. Same goes for Waggy
  • Options
    3 - 1
  • Options
    Hayes & BWP up front please.
  • Options
    Comfortable, if not spectacular 2-0 win. Both goals from the strikers...whoever they end up being.
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    only one thing counts for me and that's the result-not fussed by performances at this stage of the season

looking at the table three points should be a formality–knowing CAFC as we all do, it won't be as simple as that but I'm still expecting the win and nine points clear which should help calm a few nerves among the 'flappers' on here
  • Options
    2-1 after conceding early and making it a scrappy nervous game
  • Options
    Crap performance and 2-0 win
  • Options
    This game is likely to be tougher than it would have been a few weeks ago but I'm hoping we'll be too strong for a rejuvenated Rochdale, with BWP getting an early goal and another in the second half. 3-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Rochdale are fighting for their lives so will be determined and motivated.

Our fans could well get on our players' backs so I think a draw if we are lucky.

I hope to be proved wrong by a resounding Charlton victory!
  • Options
    There's a few parallels with when we played Chesterfield earlier in the season.

After a horrendous run, they had won 3 matches on the trot, I believe.
    They were put to the sword.
  • Options
    Why hasn't Hayes been played with BWP when earler they were doing well ? Has he fallen out with CP ? Kermo could still be used as an impact sub which might be his best role.
  • Options
    Is Russell injured?

Last time JJ was out we replaced him with a loan signing on the left. This may be the solution again.
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    Optimist as always so im going for 4 0 to us with BWP twice, Waggy & Wiggins, really hoping Hayes & Waggy get starts.
  • Options
    I think we will tear Rochdale apart tomorrow night with a sintilating performance, Stephens pulling the strings in midfield, BWP back to his best, JJ back in the team, wiggins taking the pi55 - can't wait, go t butterflies just thinking about it - just told the missus I've got to go as the games are whittling down ready to lift the league trophy

0-1 (some old geezer next to me shouting out the whole game 'f***ing useless the lot of ya')
  • Options
    Is Russell injured?

Last time JJ was out we replaced him with a loan signing on the left. This may be the solution again.
    Russell was suspended for 3 matches.

I think Tranmere was, theoretically, the first match he was available for.
  • Options
    Cack performance but another 3 points. Building to the 5-1 defeat of Stevenage on Saturday.
  • Options
    2-0 to Charlton, Stephens and kermorgant.