Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Ath v Rochdale 21 February 2012 - Preview, views, predictions and team news

124»

Comments

• Options
    Think Jacko being fit or not could be the difference here. With no Ephraim to fill in, we could lack balance. 1-2 without him, 2-1 with.
  • Options
    1998 I believe we lost one home game all season.

To bottom placed Stockport
  • Options
    think Russel will play ahead of Hughes if a change is made in midfield
  • Options
    What has Hughes ever done to not merit a place at least on the bench?

I thought when he came on against Huddersfield at home for Russel he made a real difference. I don't think he has done much wrong to merit being behind Russel.
  • Options
    Three points is essential with Stevenage next up. They will make it very hard for us.
  • Options
    I predict a 3-0 win..............BWP, Stephens & a Solly rocket from 20 yards !!
  • Options
    An early goal for us will calm everyone down, longer it goes on the more Rochdale will gain confidence they can get something
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I think Rochdale will approach this game a bit like Bury did - not offer too much going forwards but try to keep us out and if they get something at the other end with one of their few chances, all the better. I expect they will shoot when they are within or even sometimes out of range.

I think the problem can be for these sort of games that if you go too gung ho - you can leave yourself a bit exposed and you need to be patient. If we get the first we will definitely win IMO and how many we get will depend on how quickly that first comes. If we get caught out like we did against Bury, I can see a similar game.

What we do need to find a way of doing is getting more bodies forwards at times - I think this is part of the problem at the moment because the team defends very well collectively and because that is usually enough to win games at this level, we possibly are focussing a bit more on this than we did earlier in the season. Having said that, not a massive problem having not been beaten this year and disposing of the Sheffields and MK Dons.
    Big point made there Muttely! When attacking in open play, I don't see us on any regular basis getting bodies in the box event at home, do you see Green in the thick of it 8 yards out (only Brentford at home)? Even Jacko is not floating in to the box as much as he did when we were thumping teams. Kermo and BWP are getting the occasional chances, but are outnumbered so chances are more scarce. All the top teams you will see getting 'bodies' in the box.....

4-0 to us with all the midfielders scoring from open play
  • Options

Swindon?

• Options
    I think Rochdale will approach this game a bit like Bury did - not offer too much going forwards but try to keep us out and if they get something at the other end with one of their few chances, all the better. I expect they will shoot when they are within or even sometimes out of range.

I think the problem can be for these sort of games that if you go too gung ho - you can leave yourself a bit exposed and you need to be patient. If we get the first we will definitely win IMO and how many we get will depend on how quickly that first comes. If we get caught out like we did against Bury, I can see a similar game.

What we do need to find a way of doing is getting more bodies forwards at times - I think this is part of the problem at the moment because the team defends very well collectively and because that is usually enough to win games at this level, we possibly are focussing a bit more on this than we did earlier in the season. Having said that, not a massive problem having not been beaten this year and disposing of the Sheffields and MK Dons.
    Big point made there Muttely! When attacking in open play, I don't see us on any regular basis getting bodies in the box event at home, do you see Green in the thick of it 8 yards out (only Brentford at home)? Even Jacko is not floating in to the box as much as he did when we were thumping teams. Kermo and BWP are getting the occasional chances, but are outnumbered so chances are more scarce. All the top teams you will see getting 'bodies' in the box.....

If all the midfielders score that would really make BWP and Kermorgant look terrible. I don't see it happening. Would love a 4-0 win though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012

Swindon?
    Losing 0-1 to Swindon was in our title season 1999-00

They scored when Dean Keily diverted a cross into his own net.
    It was their only effort on target.
  • Options
    Rochdale are the type of team we must win decisively against.3-0.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    No I disagree - 1-0 still gets you 3 points.
  • Options
    As long as we win!
  • Options
    having a crap day at work, really need the boys to pick me up! c'mon the reds!
  • Options

I agree, is Stephens still lacking match fitness as he does seem to stroll around the centre of the pitch and never gets into the opposition penalty box?

Hollands used to get up and down much more when he had a defensive player like Hughes alongside him.
  • Options
    3 and 3/4 hours to go to KO - can't wait! Come on you rip roaring goal scoring addicks!!
  • Options
    a comfortable 2-0 win hopefully bwp will score again!!
  • Options
    Rochdale are the type of team we must win decisively against.3-0.
    Couldn't be more wrong.

At this stage of the season it doesn't matter how we win, three points is all that counts.

AS others have pointed out, if we can somehow win both home games this week we'll have a 12 point lead come Saturday

• Options
    Agree 3 points is all that matters but would be nice to see a striker score.bwp and hayes would be nice to see tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back on song with a 3-1 victory. Oh ye of little faith!!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Where are the goals coming from? Can't keep relying on midfielders and defenders to score. BWP not scored in months, JJ out injured.
    One of the biggest squads in the league but I feel we need to dip into the loan market.

Our two best players without a doubt are JJ and Kermorgant.

Whats happened to Hughes? quite a few goals were scored when he was in the team.
  • Options
    i would be over the moon with a 1-0 win! 3 points is all i care about...it is all in our hands and we need to keep it that way.
  • Options
    I don't know why all us Charlton fans are so negative about the team, the results and beating second rate teams. Sure we are going to beat Rochdale 2-0 at least.
    Onwards and upwards, COYR