Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Book early for Booing

Comments

• Options
    alicwkd said:
    I was there tonight and as pissed off as anyone but singing 'you're not fit to wear the shirt' after 3 league games is pathetic. Yes we were crap but I don't think it's due to lack of effort. That song should be saved for the likes of Hasselbaink who clearly don't give a shit. 
    And Ben Watson does? 
  • Options
    Said before Curbs should have been appointed manager....Adkins clueless
  • Options
    Deji Elerewe’s family were standing in front of where I was standing. They were filming Deji come over at the end, as it is clearly a big moment for the family. All you can probably hear in the video is booing and ‘you’re not fit to wear the shirt’, which is unfair, because Deji is one of the few who everyone will agree is fit to wear the shirt. 

This is why I didn’t boo today, because there were a couple of players who can still come away from the game with credit. I will only boo if everyone has been poor.
    Well said. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I'd like to say I'm on the optimistic spectrum of Charlton fans and very rarely boo. Have clapped the team after the game at the last 3 matches.

But today really warranted it. 1,500 of us travelling there on a Tuesday night. Not just to see us lose, but in such a pathetic manner. Those players and Adkins needed to hear that. I don't care if we lose on Saturday, but if it's another spineless and predictable performance I'll be booing again. 
    You rarely boo, yet four days ahead of our next game, you already have plans to boo if the team doesn’t match your expectations. I understand yesterday was abysmal, but to already even be thinking about booing Saturday if you don’t like it is ridiculous. 
  • Options
    I'd like to say I'm on the optimistic spectrum of Charlton fans and very rarely boo. Have clapped the team after the game at the last 3 matches.

But today really warranted it. 1,500 of us travelling there on a Tuesday night. Not just to see us lose, but in such a pathetic manner. Those players and Adkins needed to hear that. I don't care if we lose on Saturday, but if it's another spineless and predictable performance I'll be booing again. 
    You rarely boo, yet four days ahead of our next game, you already have plans to boo if the team doesn’t match your expectations. I understand yesterday was abysmal, but to already even be thinking about booing Saturday if you don’t like it is ridiculous. 
    I think you make a fair point, but I'll try and make mine more clearly. I don't tend to boo players purely based on them playing badly or not being good enough for the level of football we expect. Booing definitely has a negative impact on future performances and knocks players confidence. 

That might sound hypocritical, but hear me out....

Last night I and many others boo'd, not because we spent our time and money on a Tuesday evening to travel and then watch our team lose, but because we had to watch us lump the ball up to a target man with very little else to offer. A tactic that hasn't worked for 270+ minutes of league football, and a tactic which was truly embarrassing to watch.

I'm a Charlton fan and have been my whole life. If I wanted to see a team win all the time, I wouldn't be and wouldn't have stuck around this long. But I do expect us to put on a brave performance and give 100%, especially when fans have travelled on a Tuesday night to come and watch.

Again, not booing the loss, booing the manner in which we went about it.
  • Options
    I hate booing my own team, and very very rarely do it, but today’s shit show majorly pissed me off. 

It was devoid of any effort and as Joshrew said, spineless and pathetic. 

Our plan A is to hoof it up to Stockley and if that doesn’t work… then we’ll just keep doing it because we have no plan B. 

The only moment that pissed me off the most was this; in the 95th minute, one of our more senior, experienced players at the age of 32 years old, with 102 international caps under his belt has been pinged for a foul throw by our own corner flag. 

It’s just a bit shit. 
    And he had already been warned about taking the throw from the wrong place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think you make a fair point, but I'll try and make mine more clearly. I don't tend to boo players purely based on them playing badly or not being good enough for the level of football we expect. Booing definitely has a negative impact on future performances and knocks players confidence. 

Last night I and many others boo'd, not because we spent our time and money on a Tuesday evening to travel and then watch our team lose, but because we had to watch us lump the ball up to a target man with very little else to offer. A tactic that hasn't worked for 270+ minutes of league football, and a tactic which was truly embarrassing to watch.

I'm a Charlton fan and have been my whole life. If I wanted to see a team win all the time, I wouldn't be and wouldn't have stuck around this long. But I do expect us to put on a brave performance and give 100%, especially when fans have travelled on a Tuesday night to come and watch.

Of course you were booing the loss. If we'd played like that and won 1-0 would you have booed?
  • Options

Of course you were booing the loss. If we'd played like that and won 1-0 would you have booed?
    No, of course I wouldn't have, but that doesn't mean I can't differentiate between why I wouldn't boo most losses but did boo at last night's. 

I don't really understand the point you're trying to make here, so let me put my originally long post into simple terms:
    I don't boo very often, but last night was an absolute embarrassment. Poor and predictable tactics.
  • Options
    Deji Elerewe’s family were standing in front of where I was standing. They were filming Deji come over at the end, as it is clearly a big moment for the family. All you can probably hear in the video is booing and ‘you’re not fit to wear the shirt’, which is unfair, because Deji is one of the few who everyone will agree is fit to wear the shirt. 

This is why I didn’t boo today, because there were a couple of players who can still come away from the game with credit. I will only boo if everyone has been poor.
    The saving tackle was brilliant!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    “You’re not fit to wear the shirt” is such an entitled chant. It’s never sat right with me.

Firstly - ”the shirt”……We all love Charlton, but it’s a shirt that has for the last ten years mostly represented League One football. We’re not Manchester United or Real Madrid. Treating ‘the Charlton shirt’ as if it is some sort of holy grail makes us come across as a bit Sheffield Wednesday.

Secondly, it has been three games. Those three games have been largely awful, yes, but surely such a put down would be a bit more appropriate after an embarrassing relegation or 5-0 thumping? 
    I think that's an odd way to dissect that chant. It's not about quality of player, it's the effort that's out in. Doesn't matter what level you play at, fans should demand that players give their all for the shirt/badge. 

Agree with the rest of your comment though, felt an odd time for it to be sung.
    Fair enough. I actually don’t think the issue last night was a lack of effort. It’s just that we’re a bit shit.
    Every player worked extremely hard, they’re just not very good as a team.
  • Options
    Wigan have signed James McLean so at least we have someone to boo on Saturday ...
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    “You’re not fit to wear the shirt” is such an entitled chant. It’s never sat right with me.

Firstly - ”the shirt”……We all love Charlton, but it’s a shirt that has for the last ten years mostly represented League One football. We’re not Manchester United or Real Madrid. Treating ‘the Charlton shirt’ as if it is some sort of holy grail makes us come across as a bit Sheffield Wednesday.

Secondly, it has been three games. Those three games have been largely awful, yes, but surely such a put down would be a bit more appropriate after an embarrassing relegation or 5-0 thumping? 
    I think that's an odd way to dissect that chant. It's not about quality of player, it's the effort that's out in. Doesn't matter what level you play at, fans should demand that players give their all for the shirt/badge. 

Fair enough. I actually don’t think the issue last night was a lack of effort. It’s just that we’re a bit shit.
    Cough *Watson* cough
  • Options
    cafctom said:

We're not Manchester United or Real Madrid, but that wasn't what we are expecting from the players that played. I didn't chant it personally but the lack of commitment and bottle from the midfield 3 especially was grim to watch. If they all worked their bollocks off and were shit its a different story, but they just wilted against a pretty poor MK Dons side
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:

Cough *Watson* cough
    Just because he’s slow and immobile that doesn’t mean he’s not trying 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

We're not Manchester United or Real Madrid, but that wasn't what we are expecting from the players that played. I didn't chant it personally but the lack of commitment and bottle from the midfield 3 especially was grim to watch. If they all worked their bollocks off and were shit its a different story, but they just wilted against a pretty poor MK Dons side
    MK Dons aren't a poor side

We were rubbish in the second half, but I don't think (on the whole) it was an effort issue. I would question

1) The dismal depth of the squad
    2) The quality of some of the signings we made
    3) The tactics we used
    4) The fitness of the players

All issues which are more about the management (Adkins, Gallen, Roddy, TS) 
  • Options
    The not 'fit to wear the shirt' chant should be reserved for when the players are not caring or trying. If they are trying but are hampered by their own lack of ability or/and shite tactics then the chant should be 'Your're not fit to Manage/Coach/Own/Recruit for this club' - depending on what one believes to be the major issue. Maybe 5 minutes before the end of the game a consensuses can be established and then we all know who our anger is aimed at when full time comes around. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Saying that, I made sure Gunter knew I thought he’s a cnut

Interesting, so Gunter is asked to play out of position at LB because we have no one to play there and surprise, surprise he is poor.

You may be joking but I stopped going to away matches because of the dogs abuse to players at the end of so many matches.
    I did pick some shocking away matches to go to ! 5 and 6 Nils !

Even at Wolves when if we won we would have been top 3 in Championship after half a dozen games, after being 1 up we lost 2-1 a well known fan ( not Seb,) was telling the players to Fuck off, when the players came to clap the fans.

We are a struggling side which was patently obvious from the first match if you play a lone striker with a midfield who don't score goals as well as a winger in DJ who rarely scores and Washington playing too wide on the left to get the angle on his right foot to score.

• Options
    Adkins and the players deserve respect for fronting up. Can remember in the past after those poor performance that the manager would be straight down the tunnel. Always dislike Slade, as at Bury he went straight into the tunnel, and then at Walsall he bouncing around like a school child after we won. Plenty of examples he would not front up after a bad performance.