Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Book early for Booing

124»

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    “You’re not fit to wear the shirt” is such an entitled chant. It’s never sat right with me.

Firstly - ”the shirt”……We all love Charlton, but it’s a shirt that has for the last ten years mostly represented League One football. We’re not Manchester United or Real Madrid. Treating ‘the Charlton shirt’ as if it is some sort of holy grail makes us come across as a bit Sheffield Wednesday.

Secondly, it has been three games. Those three games have been largely awful, yes, but surely such a put down would be a bit more appropriate after an embarrassing relegation or 5-0 thumping? 
    I think that's an odd way to dissect that chant. It's not about quality of player, it's the effort that's out in. Doesn't matter what level you play at, fans should demand that players give their all for the shirt/badge. 

Agree with the rest of your comment though, felt an odd time for it to be sung.
    Fair enough. I actually don’t think the issue last night was a lack of effort. It’s just that we’re a bit shit.
    Every player worked extremely hard, they’re just not very good as a team.
    Cough *Watson* cough
    Just because he’s slow and immobile that doesn’t mean he’s not trying 
    We can agree to disagree. I see zero effort from him.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    For the last few years it has seemed as though  a number of our away contingent are hell-bent on just blowing every situation out of proportion. 

It’s a lot of the 18-21 year old crowd who have 1-2 beers on a train and then just seem intent on abusing literally everything they come across all day long. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    “You’re not fit to wear the shirt” is such an entitled chant. It’s never sat right with me.

Firstly - ”the shirt”……We all love Charlton, but it’s a shirt that has for the last ten years mostly represented League One football. We’re not Manchester United or Real Madrid. Treating ‘the Charlton shirt’ as if it is some sort of holy grail makes us come across as a bit Sheffield Wednesday.

Secondly, it has been three games. Those three games have been largely awful, yes, but surely such a put down would be a bit more appropriate after an embarrassing relegation or 5-0 thumping? 
    I think that's an odd way to dissect that chant. It's not about quality of player, it's the effort that's out in. Doesn't matter what level you play at, fans should demand that players give their all for the shirt/badge. 

Agree with the rest of your comment though, felt an odd time for it to be sung.
    Fair enough. I actually don’t think the issue last night was a lack of effort. It’s just that we’re a bit shit.
    Every player worked extremely hard, they’re just not very good as a team.
    Cough *Watson* cough
    Just because he’s slow and immobile that doesn’t mean he’s not trying 
    We can agree to disagree. I see zero effort from him.
    In footballing terms, he's positively geriatric. I think we should applaud he efforts just for bending down and putting his socks on. When it comes to Ben Watson the real questions are nothing to do with the amount of effort he's putting in, but why is he at the club and how on earth is he anywhere near the first team?
  • Options
    Lowest form of wit.
    If I half boo would I be called a half wit?
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Is a home defeat against Wigan to soon….. ? 
    Already just happened mate.
    Watching on stream and thought I heard boos from the away fans as Adkins and team went over? 
    Yeah loads of boos at the end. A fairly loud you're not fit to wear the shirt as well. I think tbh they should of just gone down the tunnel after that performance.
    They go straight down the tunnel and get criticised for going straight down the tunnel and not applauding the fans for coming.

They applaud the fans and get criticised for not going straight down the tunnel.

Literally cant win
    It wasn't hard to read that 90% of the crowd had turned on them for the last 15/20 minutes last night. It was pointless to come over clapping us and it would have avoided the barrage of abuse. I couldn't give a shit if players come over at the end or not just put a shift in on the pitch which they did not.
  • Options
    If Wigan score early on Saturday, whether it's right or wrong, I can see the atmosphere turning toxic very quickly
  • Options
    Hate the booing after a shit game, really can't stand it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    If Wigan score early on Saturday, whether it's right or wrong, I can see the atmosphere turning toxic very quickly
    And seriously what would this achieve?
    4 league games in and were booing and slating the players.
    It looks like it's going to be one long season for us and the players.

I think any boo’ing would be more targeted to the ownership and back room team who have cocked up transfers this summer with some of the most underwhelming shite we’ve seen. 

We’ve been sold a dream and the reality is very very different, that’s the frustration and the boo’ing
  • Options
    I think the only time I’ve ever done it was Northampton away 3-4 years ago 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    clb74 said:

I think any boo’ing would be more targeted to the ownership and back room team who have cocked up transfers this summer with some of the most underwhelming shite we’ve seen. 

We’ve been sold a dream and the reality is very very different, that’s the frustration and the boo’ing
    Blimey.
    Been sold a dream , are we the supporters still falling for that old b@llocks.
    Was the owners before not trying to sell a dream?.
    Anyway if the booking and frustration is aimed at the ownership surely do it after the game.
    And even though I dont think we will get significant players in ,surely we have to give them till the end of the transfer window?
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    clb74 said:

And the chants of 'you're not fit to wear the shirt'. Was this the target?

• Options
    I can understand booing a poor performance but I’m embarrassed for you if you actually shouted “you’re not fit to wear the shirt” after 3 games. 

Who do you think we are? Liverpool? 

It was a rubbish second half performance last night but my god, what an entitled bitter fan base we’re becoming. That sort of chanting is for when we lose 5-0 to Huddersfield or 6-0 to Hull.
    Opening  paragraph nails it.
    To sing this after three games tells me how little these people know about football.

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Deji Elerewe’s family were standing in front of where I was standing. They were filming Deji come over at the end, as it is clearly a big moment for the family. All you can probably hear in the video is booing and ‘you’re not fit to wear the shirt’, which is unfair, because Deji is one of the few who everyone will agree is fit to wear the shirt. 

This is why I didn’t boo today, because there were a couple of players who can still come away from the game with credit. I will only boo if everyone has been poor.
    The saving tackle was brilliant!
    Think it would have been spoken about a lot more had it been down the end the away fans were sitting. It was hard to see properly from where we were.
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Is a home defeat against Wigan to soon….. ? 
    Already just happened mate.
    Watching on stream and thought I heard boos from the away fans as Adkins and team went over? 
    Yeah loads of boos at the end. A fairly loud you're not fit to wear the shirt as well. I think tbh they should of just gone down the tunnel after that performance.
    They go straight down the tunnel and get criticised for going straight down the tunnel and not applauding the fans for coming.

They applaud the fans and get criticised for not going straight down the tunnel.

Literally cant win
    It wasn't hard to read that 90% of the crowd had turned on them for the last 15/20 minutes last night. It was pointless to come over clapping us and it would have avoided the barrage of abuse. I couldn't give a shit if players come over at the end or not just put a shift in on the pitch which they did not.
    Except that they did, which is the general consensus on here, I think. It’s just that they’re not very good and not well organised.
    Main thing is, does booing help the players, or the fans who boo? And who do we need to help the most at the moment, the players or the fans?
  • Options
    So we’re playing shit and we haven’t boooo’d during the game maybe as a change up we should boooo , it can’t get any worse for a team 20th placed in the third tier 
  • Options
    Following on from my previous comments which a few seemed to not understand. I did not boo today (unlike the MK Dons game). I thought our players tried their best and we tried to play positive football for the most part. Not their fault they aren't good enough.

Better than the last few games. But this is clearly going to be a tough season. COYA