Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell in the Mail on Sunday

Comments

• Options
    He just makes you feel so proud, doesn't he?
  • Options
    Got to love that man.
  • Options
    did anyone else click on to the 'sexpresso' article ....perve
    Yep. Was hoping it was around here.
    l was a bit disappointed when I saw the location as well

• Options
    The respect the kitchen staff etc sounds like a swipe at the likes of the Danny Murphy.
    Was Murphy known to be a problem in that regard, then?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The respect the kitchen staff etc sounds like a swipe at the likes of the Danny Murphy.
    Was Murphy known to be a problem in that regard, then?
    There is a story, and I don't know if it's true, that Murphy demanded that one of the office staff look after a piece of jewellery of his, saying it was worth more than she would ever earn in her lifetime or something like that, and threatening her if it got damaged.

Like I say, though, that may well be complete rubbish.

• Options
    did anyone else click on to the 'sexpresso' article ....perve
    Yep. Was hoping it was around here.
    l was a bit disappointed when I saw the location as well

She could certainly have some - and I bet she does, on a regular basis !
  • Options
    nice to read an article about him where it isnt mentioned that he is infact the only chinese manager in the english game... and you get to read about his thoughts and feelings on other than just about race all the sodding time!

chris powell, cant fault his passion for our club and thats the main thing. good job so far... keep it going.
  • Options
    Football is all about passion and emotion - curbs did a great job for us but he never spoke with the passion that Powell does and you can say that actions speak louder than words but personally, i love it. Look at the stuff Shankly used to come out with - it all adds to the momentum and although curbs was pragmatic in his approach 'don't let the highs get too high and the lows get too low' - thats not why i follow football - i want drama, passion, emotion, community spirit and togetherness and a journey - Powell gives us all that and i just havea feeling that he may go that one stage better with us than even Curbs managed to achieve. He's a special bloke and he's got it where it matters. You get the feeling that he wants to build something great - not for himself, but for everybody - he's a people person and he is and will be a huge success.
  • Options
    Interesting to hear that our budget is half that of Wednesday's. Not close to what they've been speculating on massivetalk.
  • Options
    I LOVE that man!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    What struck me was not the Di Caneo style passion, but the sheer decency of the man and his excellent (some might say Victorian) standards and ethos.
    Treating everyone at the training ground as equals, travelling by train are two superb examples of how he is influencing pampered, wealthy and in many non Charlton cases, spoilt, young men and keep their feet on the ground and give them a sense of perspective.

As a minor aside, I wonder if even our new messiah could manage this brilliance in the Premiership?
    The inflated wages, scummy agents, tabloid attention and general ego massaging that happens in the top league would make even the greatest manager (Powell/Curbs) struggle to keep persepctive in their charges.
    Still, thats a way off. for now I wouldnt swap SCP with anyone else in the world.

I want to meet him and tell him how much I appreciate him.
  • Options
    Maybe that's one of the reasons why Curbs hasn't re-entered the managerial scene, Floyd.

The ethos, decency, community spirit, equality etc at this great Club of ours - few could match those qualities . Seems to me that a Club deserves a certain type of manager IYKWIM and we have found 2 of the best in the past few years. Definitely something to be proud of....

SCP is something really special , that's for sure. I'm proud to say that we must be the envy of a LOT of football clubs at this moment in time...and long may it last.

And you can have your chance to tell Chris how much you appreciate him on 6th May....Just need to take youur place in what will be a very long queue!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Maybe that's one of the reasons why Curbs hasn't re-entered the managerial scene, Floyd.

The ethos, decency, community spirit, equality etc at this great Club of ours - few could match those qualities . Seems to me that a Club deserves a certain type of manager IYKWIM and we have found 2 of the best in the past few years. Definitely something to be proud of....

SCP is something really special , that's for sure. I'm proud to say that we must be the envy of a LOT of football clubs at this moment in time...and long may it last.

And you can have your chance to tell Chris how much you appreciate him on 6th May....Just need to take youur place in what will be a very long queue!
    That was the undertone of Curbs' recent meeting, Fanny.

I would sell my last few possessions to get the chance to meet Chris Powell - a queue would be no bother!
    I make you spot on, as usual!
  • Options
    Brilliant quote:

And, given his successes, if a big club should come calling, asking Powell for his services? ‘They did. I manage them. And I want to take them back to where they used to be.

And that is why I love the bloke.
  • Options
    As always a great piece from Mick Collins, would expect nothing more from such a great writer with good sources at the club. Remember the piece he wrote about 2 years ago with how much the trouble the club was in. Some wanted to bury their head in the sand but the one thing Mick always shows in his writing about us he cares and it comes from a good place.
  • Options
    I cried after the last paragraph.
    Means so much that he really cares about everything CAFC.
    So eloquent too.
    But come on girls, how gorgeous does he look in that picture.
    I would :-D
    X
  • Options
    I cried after the last paragraph.
    Means so much that he really cares about everything CAFC.
    So eloquent too.
    But come on girls, how gorgeous does he look in that picture.
    I would :-D
    X
    Errr....excuse me, there is a queue you know.....
  • Options
    Yeah Little Sis even I would, I love that man. Top class.
  • Options
    With plenty of geezers in it by the sounds of it ;)
  • Options
    FM, Powell is at Bromley Addicks on 13th March. £5 to join on the night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He always came across as a good fella and still does.

Enjoy it while it lasts becuase it will come to an end.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    He always came across as a good fella and still does.

Enjoy it while it lasts becuase it will come to an end.
    Very profound! So does everything in life including the Spanners existence! We are certainly going to enjoy it while we can and hopefully rub your noses in it next year! By the way Stevenage will be banning a couple of bottle throwing idiots after Saturday get in quick and join them up!
  • Options
    That would be a treat Henry...were it not midweek. One day...one day

• Options

Then Player of the Year do on Sunday 6th May then. Fanny knows the people organising it, she'll get you a ticket : - )

• Options

Then Player of the Year do on Sunday 6th May then. Fanny knows the people organising it, she'll get you a ticket : - )

Splendid - have a great night with the main man in the meantime.
  • Options
    This will busy I guess? Any room for a fat ginger one from Hertfordshire? Would love to come along
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    This will busy I guess? Any room for a fat ginger one from Hertfordshire? Would love to come along
    If you've got a £5 to join Bromley Addicks you're in.

It will be busy but bigger venue so should be no problem. Same goes for all other Addicks out there.

• Options
    As always a great piece from Mick Collins, would expect nothing more from such a great writer with good sources at the club. Remember the piece he wrote about 2 years ago with how much the trouble the club was in. Some wanted to bury their head in the sand but the one thing Mick always shows in his writing about us he cares and it comes from a good place.
    yep top man Mick , it was a bit embarrassing the tears on here when the truth was being said and it didn't make pretty reading but that's football supporters for you
  • Options
    Glad people liked it. I can claim very little credit - we sat and chatted for a couple of hours, and I wrote down what he said.

I did point out that, should Stevenage win, the whole piece was going to look very, very curious, so I enjoyed the win more than most, even if I couldn't be there...

• Options
    We're just so lucky that such a gifted player who gave the club so much is also such an articulate, astute, and - to date - effective manager too. So many idolised players don't quite cut it off the pitch, and so many good, decent men get dismissed as failed managers and forgotten among the dented egos of their charges. To have someone with such dignity leading our club (not just our team) is truly a special opportunity, and one which we should dwell on if and when things get a little tougher.

People like CP who love the club they lead with such genuine passion, who understand their club and everything it stands for so well, and who appear to be able to assemble a squad of near complete strangers into a virtually unbeatable team in such a short time don't come along very often. Let's treasure him, let him know what his values mean to us, and support him in everything he tries to achieve for us.