Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell in the Mail on Sunday

124»

Comments

• Options
    By the way, thanks Mick for a really good read
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Humility, dignity, modesty and respect - not qualities commonplace in football or indeed in public life in general. The Mandela of the beautiful game ....
    I suspect that SCP considers himself only moderately gifted and that if he is to achieve his aims in life he must constantly apply himself and take nothing for granted. This brought him not only longevity in his playing career but also consistency at a very high standard.
    His five years as chairman of the PFA no doubt brought him an even deeper understanding of the human side of football. No wonder twenty strangers harmonised so quickly and so well ....
    Take all these things together and add his passion for the game and for his club, and as Mick Collins modestly implies - the article almost writes itself.
    Seed, Lawrence, Curbishley, Powell - who will turn out to be the greatest one of all ?
  • Options
    Glad people liked it. I can claim very little credit - we sat and chatted for a couple of hours, and I wrote down what he said.

I did point out that, should Stevenage win, the whole piece was going to look very, very curious, so I enjoyed the win more than most, even if I couldn't be there...

Can I add my thanks and praise.
    Nice one, Mick
  • Options
    Well done Mick , a great read.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Brilliant quote:

And, given his successes, if a big club should come calling, asking Powell for his services? ‘They did. I manage them. And I want to take them back to where they used to be.

Bump!

What a top bloke. That genuinely made me well up a bit. Cheers Mick for the great acticle.

I know the Parky business has been done to death, but i wonder the owners had SCP in mind, even before they reached for their cheque book?
  • Options
    Very well written piece, although I was hoping to learn where he got his suits from. That grey number on Saturday took my breath away.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

That was the undertone of Curbs' recent meeting, Fanny.

I would sell my last few possessions to get the chance to meet Chris Powell - a queue would be no bother!
    I make you spot on, as usual!
    ##

Aw, thanks, Floyd.

Err, how many tickets would you like ?

• Options
    at some point the rest of you will have to swallow your own pride and accept he is SIR CHRIS POWELL and always will be
  • Options
    Read the article yesterday. Love the way he has turned things around at this club as I, and no doubt thousands of others have had to endure a few years of what has turned into a bit of a chore supporting Charlton and watching mercenaries steal a living not giving a toss about who they were playing for. Fair enough there is no loyalty in the game anymore but to see how he is running things and making players play for each other and getting the best out of players is just another reason why this season has been so enjoyable.
  • Options
    I dont think we could have found a better manager than Chris.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Whoops - slightly blotted his copybook by cancelling appearance at fans' meeting - hope Fanny is the understanding kind... (actually not sure if it is Fanny's meeting or a different one, seeing as I can never get to any of them!)
  • Options
    We're just so lucky that such a gifted player who gave the club so much is also such an articulate, astute, and - to date - effective manager too. So many idolised players don't quite cut it off the pitch, and so many good, decent men get dismissed as failed managers and forgotten among the dented egos of their charges. To have someone with such dignity leading our club (not just our team) is truly a special opportunity, and one which we should dwell on if and when things get a little tougher.

People like CP who love the club they lead with such genuine passion, who understand their club and everything it stands for so well, and who appear to be able to assemble a squad of near complete strangers into a virtually unbeatable team in such a short time don't come along very often. Let's treasure him, let him know what his values mean to us, and support him in everything he tries to achieve for us.
    Absolutely this.
  • Options
    Whoops - slightly blotted his copybook by cancelling appearance at fans' meeting - hope Fanny is the understanding kind... (actually not sure if it is Fanny's meeting or a different one, seeing as I can never get to any of them!)
    I am SO understanding, Weegie but luckily it wasn't my meeting . At NWKA we had JJ & Wiggy last Thursday evening .

It's a long story but we haven't made a request for SCP to visit us this season due to there being a sign above the door of the "Les Reed room" at our regular venue stating " Abandon hope all ye ( Charlton Managers) who enter here " after dear Les , poor Phil and finally pompous Pardew visited and then departed .....Just can't risk it !

• Options
    The management team are spending the day at Man City on Thursday I think.
  • Options
    Slater using his connections well
  • Options
    Why's that then?
  • Options
    Why's that then?
    Potential Tevez loan. From a trustworthy source...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Why's that then?
    Potential Tevez loan. From a trustworthy source...
    I heard that they had switched interest to Tevez from Ballotelli as we no longer need fireworks up front now Bradders has started scoring again!
  • Options
    You can say that again.
    PMSL!!
  • Options
    Excellent article and makes you realise SCP has a love for the Club like a true fan,,,,,,,,this word is used all to glibbly in football these days but SCP is a true cafc LEGEND.........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im in love
  • Options
    "while the medium-term objective is to become a fixture in the Championship"

So the goal is to be a good Championship team? Seems preferable to being a struggling Prem Team.