Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Footballer Mark McCammon launches race discrimination claim

A black footballer is bringing a claim for race discrimination against a football club.

Mark McCammon, 33, claims he and other black players at Gillingham Football Club were treated differently from white players.

Mr McCammon is bringing a claim for race discrimination and unfair dismissal against his former club and its chairman, Paul Scally.

The Barbados international forward, who is currently with Conference team Braintree Town, signed a three-year contract with League Two club Gillingham in 2008 and was released three seasons later.

Comments

• Ummm, if he's released three seasons after signing a three year contract, how can that be unfair dismissal? It's just his contract expiring, surely?
  • If you ain't Pikey you just dont fit in down here in the Medway Towns !
  • If you ain't Pikey you just dont fit in down here in the Medway Towns !
    How do you know he was,nt
  • He may be a member of the Barbadian McCammon clan. I will go and check with the local elders when I take my sack of scrap down to the yard on Monday after signing on.
  • He may be a member of the Barbadian McCammon clan. I will go and check with the local elders when I take my sack of scrap down to the yard on Monday after signing on.
    need a receipt to sell your scrap in medway
    need a receipt to sell your scrap in medway
    Who said it was his scrap?
  • what scrap?
  • who said that
  • By the looks of where he's at now, He wasn't released because he was black. He was released because he's shit!
  • By the looks of where he's at now, He wasn't released because he was black. He was released because he's shit!
    Sweep winner again. Cheers Greenwich person ;-)

• Sponsored links:

• He was a useless lump for us. Mind you, he was f***ing huge with it.

• No idea if has anything in his claim with the Gills but IMO one of the worst strikers I have ever seen place for us.
  • See him at Gills ................tried hard
  • KENTSPORTSNEWS ‏@KENTSPORTSNEWS
    The Mark McCammon v Gillingham FC / Paul Scally case starts today at 9am in Ashford with the Gills Chairman giving evidence first. #GFC
  • KENTSPORTSNEWS ‏@KENTSPORTSNEWS
    The Mark McCammon v Gillingham FC / Paul Scally case starts today at 9am in Ashford with the Gills Chairman giving evidence first. #GFC
    Blimey - a well oiled machine, the British legal process!

• Considering how shite he is, he must've been treated differently from white players in a favourable way to even get a contract.
  • This is very dodgy ground here - is it a genuine case or is it a player with a chip on his shoulder trying a generic "race discrimination" claim in the hope of making a few quid from a club who don't want to be associated with it.

could get messy
  • If he's claiming that black players (plural) were treated differently, then one must assume he has other black players ready to back up his claim and give evidence to that effect........if it's only himself, then one suspects he may find it very hard to prove.
  • Forgot to mention that it would seem as though it's only him that has taken out the action....if others felt they were also 'victims', then one wonders why some kind of joint action has not been taken?
  • Why not wait and hear the evidence before judging?
  • Sponsored links:

what a stupid idea. Far better to make a judgement without knowing any of the facts.

He turned me into a newt................but I got better!
    If that's directed at me Ben....I can assure you I'm not making any judgements......I just noticed that a previous poster stated that McCammon is suggesting 'black players' were treated differently....so I'm simply wondering why they haven't also taken joint action....this in no way precludes any judgement.

what a stupid idea. Far better to make a judgement without knowing any of the facts.

Fair enough.

On the basis that Scally is a Millwall fan and, well, Scally I find in favour of McCammon.
  • Guilty or innocent it brings football into disrepute again.
    Agreed.

just wait for the John Terry case to start

• this is gonna be the start of a nightmare for english football if this goes any where.
  • Ummm, if he's released three seasons after signing a three year contract, how can that be unfair dismissal? It's just his contract expiring, surely?
    Terminating a fixed term contract constitutes a dismissal in employment law even if the fixed term has expired and therefore it follows that an employee can bring a claim for unfair dismissal.

• this is gonna be the start of a nightmare for english football if this goes any where.
    I know it's a big societal issue that needs tackling, but I'm absolutely sick and tired of hearing about it for the past 12 months or so.