Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

QPR: The 4 year plan BBC2 11.15PM Sunday 4th March

Comments

• Options
    Easy to see why Paul hart resigned
  • Options
    Briatore, total tosser. Amit Bhatia came across quite well. Did we actually see Fernandes? Can't blame the fans for the people running the club.

Loved the "We are great to work for if we are winning" angle. Funny enough that applies to any walk of life Flavio, it's when the chips are down that those with any moral fibre come to the fore, dick head.
  • Options
    How could they sack Warnock, makes me angry and I care nothing for QPR.
    Because it wasn't 'them' that sacked him, rather Tony Fernandes instead. It appears it was always Ecclestone's and Briatore's intention to sell their shares as soon as the club was promoted, they were not interested in anything else. The part of the film where Amit Bhatia was trying to buy up Ecclestone's portion was very revealing - QPR hadn't secured promotion by then. The fact that those shares were then sold to another F1 chum can only present all manner of hypothesis and conjecture - what was the benefit to Fernandes in such a deal?

It was a great film and very revealing, I was interested to see how much attention to detail the board took towards expenditure (Ecclestone even made a quip about the cost of the players drinks!). The parallels with Charlton are very similar, with a stadium that is falling apart and has had chronic under-investment - even with all this 'new money' that we have now, apparently. Maybe something we all should consider.

At the end of the day things like loyalty (to fans, players, managers), a passion for the game and a belief in doing right for the local community, rarely enters into the heads of the investors and people associated with them. All that matters is the cold, harsh economic facts of getting into the Premiership above all else. Fans don't complain about a club losing it's heart and soul when the team is winning, but football is cyclical and whilst success should be enjoyed it should be tempered with an understanding that owners like this are here today, gone tomorrow. So are the players and even the managers too. The only people really left to foot the bill, and sometimes literally, are the fans.
  • Options
    I don't follow Forumla One - has Briatore been allowed back into that sport? I think he was banned for life after fixing the result of a race a couple of years back.
  • Options
    I don't follow Forumla One - has Briatore been allowed back into that sport? I think he was banned for life after fixing the result of a race a couple of years back.
    If you don't follow F1, why do you want to know?

• Options
    Starting following QPR when I was at uni after I went to Loftus Road a few times. The managerial merry-go-round was ridiculous. Once they got Warnock in it all became a little bit more stable though and the promotion season was a good tonic for our dire effort in L1. Starting to feel a little bit like it's happening all over again though
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    He was banned for life but this was overturned by a French court in 2010. He was banned from attending Grand Prix for a while too but Ecclestone continued to personally invite him to various Grand Prix as a way of infuriating FIA President Jean Todt. The FIA suffered a bit of a leadership crisis at the time of Briatore's ban and they considered appealing when it was over-turned but nothing has been done since.
  • Options
    Missed this thread until now. Just watched it on iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d7kd7/QPR_The_Four_Year_Plan/
    Fascinating stuff. I too loved the line about selling the club unless he got the names of the fans who booed him. Reminds me of a story about Micky Flanagan in management.
    Well worth a watch. Pity there was nothing like this at Charlton in the 'interesting' days. Airman would have been on Get me out of here by now.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Great programme. That "Sporting Director" was a nasty piece of work, proper snitch.
    Brilliant soundtrack, I didn't know one track but there were some great tunes on there. Anyone recognise any?
    I was thinking exactly the same, a soundtrack can make or break a film. No clue as to who the music was by though.
  • Options
    Like Amit Bhatia telling Gianni Paladini that 'when you sit here (front row) you don't have a go at the players from now on, if you want to do that sit back there!' (a couple of rows behind).

Agree with Algarve, of all of them Bhatia came across well. Took it on the chin from his brother(?) ripping him 'how come you come dressed as Brad Pitt (smart casual) and I have to look like a security guard (suited and booted)?'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only watched up to the bit were Warnock took charge , have got the rest to watch , fascinating stuff , do you think all club chairmen send messages down to the bench of who they want subbed?
  • Options
    Like Amit Bhatia telling Gianni Paladini that 'when you sit here (front row) you don't have a go at the players from now on, if you want to do that sit back there!' (a couple of rows behind).

Agree with Algarve, of all of them Bhatia came across well. Took it on the chin from his brother(?) ripping him 'how come you come dressed as Brad Pitt (smart casual) and I have to look like a security guard (suited and booted)?'
    Bhatia kind of hung himself when he told Warnock to draw up a list of players and that he wouldnt have to sell anyone. Warnock walked off and he turns to his brother and says "let him think he is getting what he wants, then when isnt expecting it tell him he has to f**king sell players"
  • Options

Bhatia kind of hung himself when he told Warnock to draw up a list of players and that he wouldnt have to sell anyone. Warnock walked off and he turns to his brother and says "let him think he is getting what he wants, then when isnt expecting it tell him he has to f**king sell players"
    Wasn't that down to Briatori though?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Great programme. That "Sporting Director" was a nasty piece of work, proper snitch.
    Brilliant soundtrack, I didn't know one track but there were some great tunes on there. Anyone recognise any?
    I was thinking exactly the same, a soundtrack can make or break a film. No clue as to who the music was by though.
    some that i recognise from the show...

Piranhas Are A Very Tricky Species by Mark Mothersbaugh
    Haunting At 1300 McKinley by The Black Angels.
    Howlin' For You The Black Keys

the song used for when they went up was 'edward sharpe and the magnetic zero' with 'Om nashi me'.

no idea about the song over the credits...sounds a bit like that Aloe Blacc guy but it isent.

• Options
    I liked how Ephraim was the only one to speak up to Flavio and then insulted the whole team about loosing 5-0 to Scunthorpe.
  • Options
    Frankly, I'm amazed that they sanctioned the film. Amit came out of it OK, but the others came across as the sort of useless morons that are only good at shouting down others, without the first clue as to how useless they are themselves. I can't believe how lucky they must be to be in that position.

As for four year plan, there was no plan. Four year dream, I'll give them that. But the nearest they had to a plan was to keep sacking people until they happened upon someone lucky.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Thought Briatore came across as a bully boy. I suppose with all that dough you can do what you like but the fella had no class and his attitude was to throw his toys out of the pram if he didn't get his way. The film made him look like a rich mans David Brent and Paladini came across as a snivelling arse licker.
  • Options
    the soundtrack was mostly by a great band called Tame Impala, their album that they released last year is great. I also heard a Jose Gonzales song there somewhere...

Great documentary, Briatore really is a horrible man.
  • Options
    Briatore.....Ladbrookes...Game on!
  • Options
    Briatore.....Ladbrookes...Game on!
    FFFIFFTY MINUTES....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad I recommended that. I actually think Paladini was worse than Briatore. They were both 100% scum. Bhatia seemed ok, although, he too lied to Warnock.

What about Paladini kicking the seat in front & hurling his chewing gum into his supporters ?

Didn't someone take a gun into the directors box at some point ? (Not in the documentary).
  • Options
    Very enjoyable, and i have learned some italian swear words as well.

Briatore is a prized plum.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I wouldn't throw too many stones. Think Chappell-Whitehand-Waggott-Pardew. Football is a mad business.
  • Options
    It seems that the person responsible for the documentary was a MASSIVE. http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/166342-get-bbchd-on-quick-this-is-incredible/page__st__160
  • Options
    How could they sack Warnock, makes me angry and I care nothing for QPR.
    Because it wasn't 'them' that sacked him, rather Tony Fernandes instead. It appears it was always Ecclestone's and Briatore's intention to sell their shares as soon as the club was promoted, they were not interested in anything else. The part of the film where Amit Bhatia was trying to buy up Ecclestone's portion was very revealing - QPR hadn't secured promotion by then. The fact that those shares were then sold to another F1 chum can only present all manner of hypothesis and conjecture - what was the benefit to Fernandes in such a deal?

It was a great film and very revealing, I was interested to see how much attention to detail the board took towards expenditure (Ecclestone even made a quip about the cost of the players drinks!). The parallels with Charlton are very similar, with a stadium that is falling apart and has had chronic under-investment - even with all this 'new money' that we have now, apparently. Maybe something we all should consider.

At the end of the day things like loyalty (to fans, players, managers), a passion for the game and a belief in doing right for the local community, rarely enters into the heads of the investors and people associated with them. All that matters is the cold, harsh economic facts of getting into the Premiership above all else. Fans don't complain about a club losing it's heart and soul when the team is winning, but football is cyclical and whilst success should be enjoyed it should be tempered with an understanding that owners like this are here today, gone tomorrow. So are the players and even the managers too. The only people really left to foot the bill, and sometimes literally, are the fans.
    Yeah that's a good point. Didn't consider that they were under new owners when Warnock got sacked.
  • Options
    It seems that the person responsible for the documentary was a MASSIVE. http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/166342-get-bbchd-on-quick-this-is-incredible/page__st__160
    thought it was shit anyway.
  • Options
    Do you think they could make a Charlton film like this? About our fall from the Premiership to League One.
  • Options
    Do you think they could make a Charlton film like this? About our fall from the Premiership to League One.
    I think it would be x rated!

• Options
    thought it was shit anyway.
    What was crap about it? If you didn't find any aspect of that documentry either interesting or entertaining then you obviously have no interest in football.

• Options
    Highly entertaining and a real eye opener. Funniest bits were Briatore wanting to know the names of those booing him, and him and Paladini wanting to sack Warnock when they only managed a draw despite being top of the league.