Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surface to air missile sites for Blackheath and Shooters Hill

Comments

• Options
    One benefit of the Olympics. Outside Cannon Street is starting to look great with very large pedestrian area. Its shit at the moment to get out but will be good.

Few more shops on the concourse would help mind.
  • Options
    One benefit of the Olympics. Outside Cannon Street is starting to look great with very large pedestrian area. Its shit at the moment to get out but will be good.

Few more shops on the concourse would help mind.
    what's that massive reception area about at the front of cannon street?
  • Options
    Do you mean the massive pavement area?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    its offices, there was a thread on it way back by me - asking same

http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/44145/cannon-street-station-redevelopment#Item_18
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    i walked past there a week ago and their was a desk in the middle of this big hall area at the front of the station. the station was closed cos it was late. i was pretty drunk at the time but thats how i remember it.

edit: cheers for that razil. i was about to complain like you did on the thread of it being a wasted area.
  • Options
    The reception area is for the unlet office block above cannon street.

It is hideous at the moment outside the station.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    It's just a shame that UK athletics seems to have a need to import second stringers from around the world as we can't produce enough top liners over here. IF the facilities post games are used for the development of youth sports then I am all in favour. However I suspect that the Golds, Sullivans and Bransons of this world will acquire the premises at knock down prices and will then proceed to overcharge 'the general public' for the use thereof. As for 'participation in the games' .. in this digital/TV age,the games could be held in Tibet, Alice Springs, Chad or Stratford .. and who could really tell the difference? .
    I sincerely hope that the games prove to be a massive cash boost ALL for Londoners and the nation as a whole .. we need it.

Sorry that the above has 0 to do with weapons, nuclear tipped or otherwise
  • Options
    So many faslehoods being peddled in this thread.

Stratford looks great now and it was absolutely horrible before.

There would have been some regeneration without the Olympics but nowhere near as much. I worked on both the Olympics and non-Olympics planning permissions and the latter did about 25% of teh regen of the former.

A large amount (just under 50%) of the housing is affordable or intermediate or shared ownership.

Stratford City would never have been built were if not for the Olympics, it would not have secured the funding. In itself this has prodduced a great deal of regeneration and jobs.

Transport improvements were planned even in a no-Olympics scenario but many of them would never have secured sufficient funding.

Thornton Fields would never have been regenerated without the Olympics. Network Rail would have stopped it.

Lots of other porjects benefitting London managed to get funding by jumping on the Olympics bandwagon including the East London Line extension.

The Olympics leaves us with beautiful meadowlands in place of stingking polluted rivers, housing instead of scrap yards and a wonderful acquatics centre whcih can be used by everyone.

But carry on moaning and being miserable. Us Brits would definately get a gold medal for that.

Yes but apart from a massive employment opportunity and a huge amount of wages paid and then spent during a recession, WHAT HAVE THE OLYMPICS DONE FOR US
  • Options
    edited March 2012
  • Options
    The circus is coming to town.

With the majority of people in this country, it won't really benefit them in practical terms ......and maybe much of the costs could have been spent on other worthy and long lasting projects throughout the length and breadth of the country. After all, it's generally a very London-centric thing.

But hey, we haven't had the Olympics since 1948; a bit of pomp and ceremony and the World's eyes focused on London for a few weeks.

If you're around, no reason why you can't enjoy it why it's here.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Something tells me Leroy missed out on tickets.
  • Options
    Something tells me Leroy missed out on tickets.
    Hahaha

Not interested in the slightest - only event I would ever go to would be the Heptathlon so I could leer over Jessica Ennis
  • Options
    love it missles on ShootersHill and Blackheath , so either end of my road------------yes will defo pop up there see if i can have a go. Just need to get that list of targets updated-------just love there "olympics"
  • Options
    Nip along at midnight, GH .....and while the guards are dozing, redirect the target to the Emirates Stadium.

You know you want to.
  • Options
    HMS Ocean will be moored at Greenwich
  • Options
    I think all that they can spare is HMS Victory,only if the woodworm treatment is complete.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

I think the woodland is safe!
    Many years ago I worked on the compatability issues regarding the system - to make sure the missiles weren't set off when we used our new frequency-hopping radios near them.
    At £7k per missile, I dont think they will be firing them off for fun!
  • Options

I think the woodland is safe!
    Many years ago I worked on the compatability issues regarding the system - to make sure the missiles weren't set off when we used our new frequency-hopping radios near them.
    At £7k per missile, I dont think they will be firing them off for fun!
    Quite frankly I am astonished they are only 7k a pop. Thought it would be treble that.

• Options
    Just googled the price and its $15000 a pop so yes relatively cheap I think I'll take a couple.
  • Options
    Just googled the price and its $15000 a pop so yes relatively cheap I think I'll take a couple.
    Where would you like to take them?
    Ouch

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    HMS Ocean. They'll have to get the tide right for getting through the Thames Barrier. Quite an attraction for Greenwich or could it fill in on the Woolwich Ferry?
  • Options
    Strange how we've got that ship, but got rid of all the Harriers that would've gone nicely on it. Surely we could've kept, say, three or four?
  • Options
    Strange how we've got that ship, but got rid of all the Harriers that would've gone nicely on it. Surely we could've kept, say, three or four?
    No doubt the French can lend us a couple. The way our armed forces are being run down is embarrassing.

• Options
    think they need a ramp to take off fully loaded on a short deck? (could be wrong tho, and take your point)
  • Options
    Back in the news.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/war/mod-unveils-surface-air-cockneys-201204305175/
    Ha ha - have now got tea coming out my nose!
  • Options
    Thanks Off It. I thought it quite funny meself!

The MoD has been testing market stall traders on Dartmoor, where local people have reported a loud 'CAAAHHHNNNT!', whenever a cockney is launched from a catapult.
  • Options
    That was the bit I read as I took a sip of me Rosie - big mistake!
  • Options
    No doubt the French can lend us a couple. The way our armed forces are being run down is embarrassing.

HMS Ocean is a helicopter carrier, always has been (plus amphibious assault)
  • Options

HMS Ocean is a helicopter carrier, always has been (plus amphibious assault)
    Err, yes. But a harrier can take off vertically so there would be no problem in sticking a few on that massive deck - if we had any harriers left, of course. They wouldn't need a ramp for short range sorties, which means they could basically cover all of London.

Still, I daresay they know what they're doing!