Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surface to air missile sites for Blackheath and Shooters Hill

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Strange how we've got that ship, but got rid of all the Harriers that would've gone nicely on it. Surely we could've kept, say, three or four?
    Fat chance - Cameron has sold them to the Yanks at a very cut down price. Ridiculous!

• Options
    Strange how we've got that ship, but got rid of all the Harriers that would've gone nicely on it. Surely we could've kept, say, three or four?
    No doubt the French can lend us a couple. The way our armed forces are being run down is embarrassing.

HMS Ocean is a helicopter carrier, always has been (plus amphibious assault)
    Err, yes. But a harrier can take off vertically so there would be no problem in sticking a few on that massive deck - if we had any harriers left, of course. They wouldn't need a ramp for short range sorties, which means they could basically cover all of London.

Still, I daresay they know what they're doing!
    For vertical take off they have to be basically empty (no weapons) and refuel straight away. There is also no need for them in this role, they are putting missiles on rooftops and have typhoons for air to air intercept.

Take your point that they shouldn't have been scrapped but they'd have no place at the olympics.
  • Options
    Cameron has his finger on the button--------jesus.

• Options
    hmmm

• Options
    The Metro today stating that Rapier missiles have been deployed in Blackheath "east London"
  • Options
    Love it, I liked the quote where Bow resident Roy Hobbs said: "I bought this flat in the hope the area would become a gentrified haven of antique fairs and artisan bakeries, so I am peeved at the notion of a battery of tattooed cockneys on my roof"
  • Options
    This whole story is properganda.

Sure, there will be some replica action-man kit somewhere, looked after by some TA cadets, but the bare fact is that realistically, they can't shoot anything down because the debris would fall on civilians.

This is just a "don't try hijacking any planes" message to terrorists.

Which is why is was announced in the first place - to get the message into the public domain and keep us all debating it.
  • Options
    Well I just hope for your sake Phil we don't have an Al Qaeda sleeper cell watching this site as you have just blown our plan :-)
  • Options
    Any missiles left laying around Shootershill will be, stolen, copied and on sale at the meridan bootfair within a week.; )
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    This whole story is properganda.

Sure, there will be some replica action-man kit somewhere, looked after by some TA cadets, but the bare fact is that realistically, they can't shoot anything down because the debris would fall on civilians.

This is just a "don't try hijacking any planes" message to terrorists.

Which is why is was announced in the first place - to get the message into the public domain and keep us all debating it.
    the SAM sites are only designed to hit small planes and missiles, apparently not Airliners - these are taken on by figher jets as I understand it.

the Propoganda question is an interesting one.

If it were me I would have them but also broadcast having them, but perhaps not specifically where each one was - whether they have bungled the latter who knows, of course presenting the real or fake sites to the public makes them targets for terrorist attacks nevertheless, although obviously fake ones are less harmful if stolen. I suggest there are some real sites, but real locations won't be revealed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The sad fact is - the Olympics make an excellent target for these extremists because they can kill British and US citizens/dignitories at the same time - and previous OG's that have had terrorist activity went on to receive worldwide coverage. These things are all on the terrorist agenda.

Which is why there are 3 hour queues at passport control right now - because the vetting process has been ramped-up.

Personally, I will be safe during the OG - unless they decide to attack Spanish beaches.
  • Options
    Too many bombs for my liking. Are they expecting something? I'm just glad they arent looking for regime change in middle-eastern countries. That would be too obvious. Be safe and vigilant peeps :)
  • Options
    Apparently they're back on Blackheath as I write, being set up, by way of practice, to take out any Red Devils that might be involved in an aerial attack on the Valley on Saturday. Take your tin hats boys and girls, it could get nasty!
  • Options
    Have arrived at Oxleas Woods too now. Looks like a war zone according to Ian who's at the cafe trying to eat his sausage sandwich in peace.... ho ho.

• Options
    For 100s of years we had a Royal Artillery barracks (now being reoccupied) and the world's largest manufacturing site for arms and explosives in Woolwich.