Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time to own up, who on here......

Comments

• Options
    Well I haven't done any panic petrol buying, but I'm sitting here thinking "I have just applied for a job - if I get an interview next week will my car have enough petrol in it to get me there and back?". I don't want to subscribe to this nonsense, but also I don't want to end up stranded or missing a vital interview for a job I need.

The coalition have shown themselves up badly with this one. Advising people to stockpile petrol in their garages is dangerous and illegal (the legal limit is quite low) and advising us all to top up has caused panic. I despair, I really do.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Well I haven't done any panic petrol buying, but I'm sitting here thinking "I have just applied for a job - if I get an interview next week will my car have enough petrol in it to get me there and back?". I don't want to subscribe to this nonsense, but also I don't want to end up stranded or missing a vital interview for a job I need.

The coalition have shown themselves up badly with this one. Advising people to stockpile petrol in their garages is dangerous and illegal (the legal limit is quite low) and advising us all to top up has caused panic. I despair, I really do.
    So you have the same dilemna as all the other "twats" as CWLC said.
    To buy or not to buy that is the question.
  • Options
    I was kinda thinking of myself as "not quite a t***", as I haven't yet followed government advice and topped up.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    OK, maybe I'm over-reacting, but just in case, i followed up on this...

http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/Successful-Petrol-Station-in-Wonderful-Location-For-Sale.aspx

:-)
  • Options
    No queues at pumps in Scotland. We're more sensible up here.... ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    No, it's just that you've got nowhere to go :-)
  • Options

They serve it in pubs up there dont they
  • Options
    I posted on the other thread that my wife came in last night asking what wad going on as her fuel light had come on but the garage was going crazy so she couldn't fill up. I tried 3 times last night as it less than 500m away but it was getting worse each time and in the local rag today there are reports of punch up's, congestion and stations closing.

Well done Dave, Francis and the rest. You've created a problem that wasn't there and was entirely forseeable. Having seen the line our leaders are still taking today I refuse to believe they could be that stupid hence it must be a deliberate political move to inconvenience millions of motorists.
  • Options
    Well, filled up on tuesday but that wasn't panic buying that was just being sensible. Without fuel I wouldn't have been able to do the 80 mile round trip to The Valley on Saturday and if there is a strike it might have put my visit to the home match against Walsall at risk too. I've pre-paid for those games via my season ticket - why should I risk missing them just because of some overpaid twats who drive lorries very slowly?
    I'm just acting prudently (as Gordon Brown was so fond of saying - but in my case it's true).
  • Options
    Well I wouldnt have too much sympathy cafcfan if you missed a football game. Id be more concerned about the elderly and sick who rely on home help visitors and stuff like that.

Its a ridiculous situation anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I posted on the other thread that my wife came in last night asking what wad going on as her fuel light had come on but the garage was going crazy so she couldn't fill up. I tried 3 times last night as it less than 500m away but it was getting worse each time and in the local rag today there are reports of punch up's, congestion and stations closing.

Well done Dave, Francis and the rest. You've created a problem that wasn't there and was entirely forseeable. Having seen the line our leaders are still taking today I refuse to believe they could be that stupid hence it must be a deliberate political move to inconvenience millions of motorists.
    Perhaps the minor inconvenience now has prevented a major one in a few weeks ?
    If they call a strike now, giving 7 days notice, it could give everyone ample time to have full tanks before the strike begins.
    I think it's called forward planning.
  • Options
    How much is petrol currently in yer parts? Over here in Ireland its € 1.64 (which is £ 1.37). Spending a small fortune each week getting to and from Uni
  • Options
    How much is petrol currently in yer parts? Over here in Ireland its € 1.64 (which is £ 1.37). Spending a small fortune each week getting to and from Uni
    It's about £1.40 round 'ere - if you can get it. :-)
  • Options
    Haven't filled up yet as i have just over half a tank and am working on the theory that the madness will have died down by the weekend. What on earth was Francis Maud going on about? he may be able to stockpile fuel in his country pile but in the average semi garage it is not only illegal but f*****g dangerous! what a tit! That said in my opinion Unison has no legal mandate for this strike, they counted the 12% of drivers who DIDN'T vote as a yes! Yet another meglomanic union leader McCluskey trying to hold the country to ransom we've seen it all before with Scargill, who because of his ego walked the people he was supposed to be representing into a dispute they could never win just to prove a point.

Tanker drivers are not badly paid and as somebody who works in the Chemical Industry I can say quite categoricaly that we have one of the highest and best safety records in Europe with regard to tankers. Its a crap strike bought about by an egomanic and by the way the governments handling of this has been risible! Rant over
  • Options
    Tesco petrol station in Lewisham was very quiet this morning!
    Only £1.36 I think as well!
  • Options
    The sooner car companies pull their fingers out and finally work out the best way to harvest hydrogen, the better, as that will solve this problem once and for all. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the entire universe, I'd like to see companies trying to tell us there's a shortage of that
  • Options
    @coveredend. Sorry but that is just tosh. They have given no indication that a strike will be called any time soon let alone even this side if Easter. Then there's a minimum period of 7 days in which people and businesses can fill up.

If and when any strike is called what will happen is that the same people who ran off to the garage and caused the supply problems yesterday unneccessarily will do the very same again to squeeze another £20 in. In the meantime those of us who need a car to get to work and are contractually obliged to supply one for our employers benefit cannot get any flipping fuel.

Are you suggesting that what happened after the most senior politician in the country telling everyone to fill up (don't get me started on Maude) was a surprise???
  • Options

And once the strike is called you'll only have 7 days to decide whether or not you need to fill up....
  • Options
    Ians on his way to Ipswich for a meeting and has been to 4 places but queues too long.
  • Options
    Tweet from the Fire Brigade, people causing accidents on the forecourts now in their panic.

@LondonFire Firefighters have been called to a #fuel spill at a petrol station. Drivers please take care not to over-fill when topping up at the pumps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have 6 x first class stamps, anybody want to swap for a gallon of diesel?

:-)
  • Options
    Panic buying seems to be a British cyclic tradition, like 'leaves on the line' and 'half an inch of snow closes airports'. I remember my dad filling jerry cans when the Suez crisis started and there's been a fair number of occasions since then when there's been queues at the pumps. For some reason it's in our general nature and unfortunately 'non panicers' get caught up in it despite their best efforts not to be.
  • Options
    Missed this post. Everyone at my work has been rushing out gettin fuel. I got caught up in it all and went out looking for a station, saw the que and thought that everyone should get a life so I turned around and now I have everyone going into panic mode around me. Get a grip!
  • Options
    people are going out and panic-buying Peckham bloody spring! Which means we've got to take more water to stay up with the demand
  • Options
    Just been out to top up as have to drive North of the river this afternoon. Queued up for about 10 mins in Bromley, it's going to be a nightmare come rush hour! More importantly though....141.9p per litre!!! Daylight robbery
  • Options
    edited March 2012

And once the strike is called you'll only have 7 days to decide whether or not you need to fill up....
    The point is THERE IS NO SHORTAGE AND THERE IS NO STRIKE (yet), but due to the actions of our government causing panic, when I need fuel I may have difficulty getting it.
  • Options
    The sooner car companies pull their fingers out and finally work out the best way to harvest hydrogen, the better, as that will solve this problem once and for all. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the entire universe, I'd like to see companies trying to tell us there's a shortage of that
    Just find a way (cheap) of getting the H out of the 2o and you've cracked it.

• Options
    I will be buying stamps but I shall take my time over the coming month to do this (and then queueing for two hours at the end of the month when i realise I never got round to it).
  • Options
    Yep, I'm going to panic buy when I get paid at the end of the month.
  • Options
    I blame Kemi Izzett saw him filling up at petrol station on the A12 opposite Colchesters stadium last night, I confess I was filling up too, but then I had to drive to Ipswich and then back to Dartford.