Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time to own up, who on here......

13»

Comments

• Options
    Convenient how the petrol panic has wiped the "cash for access" and the various unpopular bits of the budget off the front pages, isn't it?
  • Options
    Convenient how the petrol panic has wiped the "cash for access" and the various unpopular bits of the budget off the front pages, isn't it?
    Not that convenient as it's hardly a good news story for the government.
  • Options
    @daveaddick the tanker drivers have not chosen to strike because of pay.
    Their pay packet had nothing to do with this dispute. This has been been caused solely by the oil companies actions towards their drivers
  • Options
    @SkyNewsBreak: AA: Increased sales from panic buying will bring in more than £32m in extra fuel excise duty
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    @SkyNewsBreak: AA: Increased sales from panic buying will bring in more than £32m in extra fuel excise duty
    That's a drop in the ocean Bren............I'd like to know what they pull in on average every 24 hours (not just from fuel duty)....maybe someone knows?

• Options
    This link will explain why they have voted to go pneumonia strike

http://www.unitetheunion.org/campaigns/enough_is_enough_-_tanker_driv.aspx
  • Options
    But they're doing their level best to spin it as the union being unreasonable, and at least some people seem to be believing them.
  • Options
    There is no pneumonia involved. Poxy predictive text on my phone
  • Options
    But they're doing their level best to spin it as the union being unreasonable, and at least some people seem to be believing them.
    As in just about 'all' employment disputes there are two sides to every story....I'm guessing this one is/will be no different.

• Options
    Just been to Sainsburys in Eltham and there is hardly any milk left. They said they're not sure when they will get some more becasue they had delivery last night and not due again till Saturday. Then don't know if their lorries will even be on the road on Saturday if there's no fuel.
    It's madness!

I bought 12 pints by the way.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This link will explain why they have voted to go pneumonia strike

http://www.unitetheunion.org/campaigns/enough_is_enough_-_tanker_driv.aspx
    Indeed it does - here's an extract: "Unite is calling for industry minimum standards and industry wide bargaining on pensions, terms and conditions, training and health and safety."

So it's all about trying to get collective bargaining across an industry that is made up of a number of different companies and is therefore about pay while using safety as an excuse. (Presumably they learnt this trick from the RMT?)
    I was in Unite. It's a poxy, inefficient, ultra left-wing organisation that cares more about political ambitions than representing its members. They were still sending me ballot papers four years after I left!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    If anyone is running low on sugar my mum still has a cupboard full from the shortage in the 1970's :-)
  • Options

dont panic mr Mannering ............dont panic..
  • Options
    It's Mainwaring not Mannering.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    If anyone was worried about me I managed to fill up (£56) at 10.00 am this morning. No queues mainly because they had run out of diesel and regular unleaded so I went for the V power unleaded stuff at a cost of an extra 5p per litre. Result! because according to my associates most other garages in Bexleyheath / Welling had long queues. Good luck to one and all in your quest for fuel over the coming days.
  • Options
    I filled up yesterday (40ltrs) because it was a bit cheaper at that particular garage.

Short queue no worse than any other day.

As I drive 40,000 miles a year,for work not fun, I obviously use a lot of fuel.

So can anybody who feels the need to squeeze that £5 worth in, just in case, remember that no-one is on strike yet and that a strike may not even happen.
  • Options
    If anyone is running low on sugar my mum still has a cupboard full from the shortage in the 1970's :-)

Then there's the story from Groucho Marx where he was a guest at W.C. Fields' house and was invited into the attich, which was crammed full of crates of Scotch.

"But Bill we haven't had prohibition in years"

"Ah but you never know when they'll bring it back"

• Options
    didn't fill up yesterday or today. judging from the queues i saw at the fuel stops around gravesend when out for a run earlier most other people are. As a result people are creating a pointless shortage. Staff in sainsbury's were suggesting they were running low on fuel in their garage when I popped in for supplies earlier.

The issue I have is that everyone who fills up seems to think that they have a good reason why they have to do so at that point, essentially it always seems to be someone elses fault. They are not panic buying it is everyone else in the queue who is. People need to take a long hard look at themselves and their herd-like behaviour.
  • Options
    Leave the oil companies with all the fuel - backing up at the refineries and on takers in the bay.

Strike will end before it's started.