Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts on Female Manager by 2022?

Further to Lawrie Sanchez's comments what do you think about a female being in charge of a Premier League side?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17604014

personally I think it is unlikely. Although it's not unrealistic to expect a female to be in a high position within the sport, (assistant manager? head of fitness/performance/sports science etc) I think there will be a female referee before there will be a female manager.

thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    can't see there being a female manager in the near or even distant future personally.

definitely a ref though, can see that happening over the next couple of seasons, certainly in the football league anyway, maybe not the prem just yet.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Over my dead body.

Seriously though I think it's highly unlikely within 10 years and would require a non-league club giving a lady a chance who would then have to excel herself enough for other teams to do the same or for her to progress to a larger club.

I can easily see a female ref within 10 years. Sian Massey is a very good assistant referee and will no doubt make the grade.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    If there good enough , i can't see a problem , will it happen , i will be surprised if it happens at the top level to be honest , the womens game will have to make big strides in the next few years for it to happen imo, although there is that female lino who is pretty good , guess it needs to be encouraged for it to work.
  • Options
    There will be a ref within the next 5-10 years but can't see a manager for a long time. As far as I know there aren't even any female coaches working in the Premier League or Football league?
  • Options
    I can't see it, and if i'm being honest i'm not sure i'd want Charlton to have a female manager.

Football has a predominantly male audience, and i think you have to work with that. I remember a few years back, the BBC tried having a female commentator on MOTD, and it just didn't feel or sound right.
  • Options
    Someday maybe (though highly doubtful)....but never in my lifetime....not that there's that much left of that....LOL!!!
  • Options
    If there was an exceptionally talented person it is possible, but difficult to see where and how they would get their chance seeing as most managers were players and that is the usual route to management.
  • Options
    lets get them managing the dinner first, then we'll talk
  • Options
    I think women deserve equal rights. They should.... Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I disagree that women should encroach into the men's game... You'd never have a mixed team as the female form is scientifically more fragile than that of a male. Hence why you have men and womens teams.

I'm happy how it is.
  • Options
    No Chance
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Women's football...
  • Options
    This is one of those dangerous threads mentioned in the survey results where you make your mind up about certain posters and then take a different view on everything CAFC-related they say... ;-)
  • Options
    Very unlikely. Although I do seem to remember Hope Powell being talked about as a possibility for some club somewhere - whether it was real or just the press is another thing
  • Options
    You're talking 10 years which isn't long at all in the overall scheme of things.

Hope Powell is the only female coach / manager I can name and I think as things stand she would struggle to get a gig in the Conference let alone the football league or premiership.

I'm not saying that is right but it is the way things are and in my view it will take longer than 10years to change those entrenched attitudes unless a truly exceptional candidate comes from nowhere.

(Where are you Cherie Lunghi?) :-)
  • Options
    We're all missing the vital point here..........will she have big tits?
  • Options
    Rather a female than Lawrie Sanchez.
  • Options
    If we can have a female PM and the Yanks can have a female President (believe me, it's on its way) I can see there being a female manager...

....maybe not within a decade but I can see it eventually happening.
  • Options
    Thought you meant catering manager?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    My son's football team has had two female managers in the past three years and they have been nothing but trouble. Despite taking their badges neither had a clue. .
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Something I noticed when my daughter was playing regularly was that the majority of teams she played against had male managers!

If women are not managing their own game at the grass roots it's a massive step for them to manage at the top level of mens football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But they don't represent every female in the country. You could ask whether there will be a Sunday league player going into management by 2022 - i suspect the answer to that would be no also. It is about the route into management and there are not any women or sunday league players in the right places, gaining the right experiences. The way I can see it happening is through youth football but you have to take into account the numbers so it is unlikely.

Having said all that, I'm sure most clubs would consider a female manager if they believed she could bring them success - I'm sure they are not sexist in that sense.
  • Options
    things like this will only happen if sport is mixed, until it is this won't happen and is a mistaken area of debate re sexism in my view as a result.
  • Options
    i'm personally surprised that you only hear of the 'one' assistant in sian massey. It could be that no one else is good enough to run the line or that no one else has applied.

Hope Powell was linked with the Grimsby job but she said it was a nonsense story.

I personally can't see a male footballer taking instruction about the game from a woman. I think it's very different to females in the office (football and non football) managing men and women (Karren Brady / Heather Rabbatts), or prime minister overseeing men and women etc.

A woman managing a team full of men, I can't see it and I don't see how it could happen within 10 years.

• Options
    Any female manager would of failed before she has started, players would never accept it, if you have ever heared the term losing the changing room, well she would never even have them on side from the start. Whilst it would be far too dismissive to say it would never happen, sadly any women would last just a few weeks before the chairman realised its the worst appointment he could of ever made. Sorry not being sexist just being a realist having played in mens football teams for 20+ years.
  • Options
    Can see it happening at non league level like FOD said, but not sure it will hit the league in the next ten years.

There will at some point be some madcap chairman that will see it as a huge publicity venture, and from there it will all be down to the success of the individual.
  • Options
    How tall would they have to be ?
  • Options
    But across the country there are countless examples of men having women bosses. Probably quite a few on here do. I think most players would adapt to a female manager if they had one but where is she going to come from? There was talk of Hope Powell getting a job, but do people see Paul Mortimer as a potential Charlton manager because he manages our women's team?
  • Options
    No chance whatsoever. Were still paying the price for a female Prime Minister.
  • Options
    I'm confident that we won't get a female Premiership, Championship, League One or League two manager anytime in the next 50 years.
  • Options
    No chance whatsoever. Were still paying the price for a female Prime Minister.
    .Spot on