Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts on Female Manager by 2022?

Comments

• Options
    How tall would they have to be ?
    ??
  • Options

There will at some point be some madcap chairman that will see it as a huge publicity venture, and from there it will all be down to the success of the individual.
    Good point. Who in the 80s would've predicted a female MD at a football club?

• Options
    It would be nice to see the WNSL be managed exclusively by women, but even at that level there in the minority.

The womens game needs to lead itself first
  • Options
    Can't see it myself. What country would she come from? It appears top clubs are not prepared to employ English male managers, so why would they consider an English female manager?
  • Options

There will at some point be some madcap chairman that will see it as a huge publicity venture, and from there it will all be down to the success of the individual.
    Good point. Who in the 80s would've predicted a female MD at a football club?

Who knows, but back in the day women didn't even go to football let alone work in football clubs. (except making tea).

I dont think the comparison is a fair one as the MD at a football club would manage a range of roles in her position to be filled by males or females. A role as a football manager would only be to manage the team and there would be very few other direct reports other than the players.....who would all be male.
  • Options

I personally can't see a male footballer taking instruction about the game from a woman. I think it's very different to females in the office (football and non football) managing men and women (Karren Brady / Heather Rabbatts), or prime minister overseeing men and women etc.
    I think it's just down to respect. If Brady could MD a club at 25 or something ridiculous it can't be impossible for a woman to get a football team to respect her. Although it's easier to respect someone who can do the job they're asking you to do themselves...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Where would any female manager get the experience in order to gain the respect of any professional male footballer ? It's taken 50 years for football to get even a couple of black managers and they are and have been mainstream since the mid sixties.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Bring it on. By 2022 the average tenure of a football manager will probably be down to 5 games, so there should be lots of what they call where I work "development opportunities" (ie doing your managers job for your existing salary)....Les Reed never managed or played professionally until he took over at Charlton, and that went OK didn't it?

Oh.
  • Options

I personally can't see a male footballer taking instruction about the game from a woman. I think it's very different to females in the office (football and non football) managing men and women (Karren Brady / Heather Rabbatts), or prime minister overseeing men and women etc.
    I think it's just down to respect. If Brady could MD a club at 25 or something ridiculous it can't be impossible for a woman to get a football team to respect her. Although it's easier to respect someone who can do the job they're asking you to do themselves...
    Lennie Lawrence was no player (at professional level) yet, as we all know, became a respected coach and manager. I'm not aware of Jose Mourhino doing anything as a player either to name just two.
  • Options
    Small steps first methinks... Learn to play fookin football properly first, should take another 4 million years in evolutionary terms !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is one of those dangerous threads mentioned in the survey results where you make your mind up about certain posters and then take a different view on everything CAFC-related they say... ;-)
    I'm marking down Weegie, so I won't forget.
  • Options
    Maybe if a male manager gets a sex change, would that still count?

Christine Powell?
  • Options
    It would be nice to see the WNSL be managed exclusively by women, but even at that level there in the minority.

The womens game needs to lead itself first
    Surely that is sexism though...
  • Options
    This is one of those dangerous threads mentioned in the survey results where you make your mind up about certain posters and then take a different view on everything CAFC-related they say... ;-)
    I'm marking down Weegie, so I won't forget.
    you women are great. marking down and making us all sandwiches....you're a multi-tasking delight.
  • Options
    Can see it happening at non league level like FOD said, but not sure it will hit the league in the next ten years.

Agree very much with this - can you imagine the exposure and therefore the dosh this could bring in?

If it is going to happen anywhere it'll be in the States first so she would have to prove herself there first. The only other way is if she happens to be the daughter of a club legend and therefore buy herself some breathing space. Does Killer have any daughters?

I can very much see Sian Massey making the garde in the next couple of years though and fair play to her she must get double the stick her male counterparts do.

• Options
    Over my dead body.

Seriously though I think it's highly unlikely within 10 years and would require a non-league club giving a lady a chance who would then have to excel herself enough for other teams to do the same or for her to progress to a larger club.

I can easily see a female ref within 10 years. Sian Massey is a very good assistant referee and will no doubt make the grade.
    Agreed. From what I've seen Sian Massey gets most if not all marginal calls spot on. More to do with her age then her sex I think as she's still got good eyesight. Makes a change from some of the old geezers we get running the line at The Valley and finding it difficult keeping up with play. We also have her to partially thank for getting rid of Andy Gray from Sky for which I will always personally be forever grateful.
  • Options
    I am scared to comment now that you are watching Weegie so I think its a great idea and hope it happens soon, I wonder if Dany N'Guessan has a sister who fancy's giving it a go

:-)

x
  • Options
    Probably not for many years yet. Don't see the problem with it myself. And as for women not getting football in some way, Kenny Dalglish seems to have lost all understanding of the game and it hasn't kept him out of a job.
  • Options
    True, Dowie found work regularly too and he's barely human
  • Options
    It is bad enough having them watching football.
    Managing it? I think not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It wont work, they would have to do team talks on the pitch! when our gaffer is giving our team talk there is always at least 6 of us with our peckers out getting changed before and usually everyone after the game when were getting our praise, or more often than not, a rollicking! No woman would last 5 minutes in our changing room and i dont see it being that different in professional footy!
  • Options
    It wont work, they would have to do team talks on the pitch! when our gaffer is giving our team talk there is always at least 6 of us with our peckers out getting changed before and usually everyone after the game when were getting our praise, or more often than not, a rollicking! No woman would last 5 minutes in our changing room and i dont see it being that different in professional footy!
    I'm sure any female that wished to be a football manager would not fear seeing a couple of tadgers on a weekly basis.
  • Options
    Unlikely for premier league. Can see it for league one or two though. But there are non as assistant managers yet and it would be at least five years between assistant manager and getting you own gig.

I confidently predict the first women with be Hope Powell and the next women will be at least ten years after that.
  • Options
    I'm sure any female that wished to be a football manager would not fear seeing a couple of tadgers on a weekly basis.
    we would all be doing the windmill and not concentrating! she'd soon get sacked!
  • Options
    no it wont happen ever
  • Options
    Yer, I hear of a vacancy at Top Shop
  • Options
    I suspect that it will be a legal requirement before much longer ........
  • Options
    It won't happen any time soon.

The only way I can see a club viewing it as a reasonable option would be if they were a lower league side looking for a great deal of publicity.

There may be a few female physios around at the moment, but even that is a long long way from Assistant Manager level.

It won't happen.
  • Options
    I think the likes of Wenger and Mourinho have proved that it's possible to command respect without having played the game, so I'd not dismiss it out of hand. If someone was incredibly successful at a level they could climb the ladder. It's a results game. 20 years ago folk wouldn't imagine there'd be the quality of females in boardrooms that we have today.
  • Options
    The woman's game is different to the mens game. It would be like a rugby manager becoming a football manager (Clive Woodward).

Plus any female manager in mens football would have a chip on her shoulder from the start and would act like she is a victim sexism before she even starts (Karen Brady)