Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I Need A Hobby - Suggestions

Comments

• I'd join that one Henry! Bromley is jut a bit too far out for me.
    Join, you're on the committee!

• Definitely cycling. It takes loads of time, involves no stress and is good for you - espescially if you investigate some of the many hostelries you are bound to pass.
  • Start a Greenwich Charlton Athletic Supporters' Group. Doesn't take up too much time and a badly needed group.

A South Bermondsey/New Cross/Peckham branch might be a challenging option???
  • Comedy writing - stand up comedy - comedy sketch writing - writing a sitcom???

You could base your material around being a Charlton fan.
  • Comedy writing - stand up comedy - comedy sketch writing - writing a sitcom???

You could base your material around being a Charlton fan.
    errrr... more tragedy than comedy methinks .. well OK, a bit of both .. MacBeth meets Woody Allen
  • Trains (not trainspotting) but train hopping. Find a place that you've always wanted to go to thats got a train station and take a train journey to that place.
  • learning a language is something i really want to do. I think it's a lot of work but ultimately one of the most rewarding hobbies to have.
    If you're not sufficiently motivated to go beyond a 2/3 weeks intensive effort, it would be
    a waste of time. To have that motivation you must have some affinity or special interest in the language and the assurance you will have opportunities to exercise your new skills.
    This is a translator's advice.
  • become a mime artist ....you will never annoy the neighbours when practising
  • massage?
  • Try Squash, lots of clubs around the area also road running will also get the hooked very quickly and Mrs Guru might like the new you :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Thank you all for the suggestions. I have decided that learning a musical instrument is my new hobby. Can't decide what though. Any suggestions ;0)
  • Good choice.

To help with recommendations: What instruments do you like the sound of? What sort of music do you like? Do you want to play by yourself or as part of a group? Do you have any restrictions on space or the amount of noise you can make?
  • Always better playing by myself ;0). Actually I have decided on guitar. Can't wait to get cracking now.
  • Trains (not trainspotting) but train hopping. Find a place that you've always wanted to go to thats got a train station and take a train journey to that place.
    But make sure you book well in advance!!!
  • Always better playing by myself ;0). Actually I have decided on guitar. Can't wait to get cracking now.</blockquote

I have a Yamaha acoustic looking for a good home if you're interested.
  • Pink Oboe ?
  • Canoeing. Free once you have bought your kit and a roof rack. Good exercise and will not trouble your dodgy knees.

Really though you should link your passions so, for example, if you liked painting and are a Charlton nut then paint the players/aspects of the Valley and earn a few quid by selling the paintings.
    Weird that cool old Rod Stewart should like train sets! But each to their own.
  • edited April 2012
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I have decided that learning a musical instrument is my new hobby. Can't decide what though. Any suggestions ;0)
    the drums .. make friends with all your neighbours, they'll love you splashing yer cymbals after midnight
  • Geocaching.

Go to www.geocaching.com for details.
  • Sponsored links:

• a big drum
  • Astronomy

http://cmhas.wikispaces.com/

Re musical instruments my kids are all learning at the moment. If you want to keep on the right side of your wife/neighbors think woodwind, avoid brass - Clarinet is a good choice
  • was gonna say Cribbage
  • Thankyou all for helping out with mostly very sensible suggestions. I eventually thought the world needed another quality guitar player and thanks to Baldybonce I am now the owner of an acoustic guitar and embarking on a crash guitar course in time to get me onto next years Britains Got Talant. If ever you get to hear me play remember its Baldybonces fault. COYR
  • Pitch invading as a few people started it last week.
  • Magic the Gathering
  • Thankyou all for helping out with mostly very sensible suggestions. I eventually thought the world needed another quality guitar player and thanks to Baldybonce I am now the owner of an acoustic guitar and embarking on a crash guitar course in time to get me onto next years Britains Got Talant. If ever you get to hear me play remember its Baldybonces fault. COYR
    Good luck with that - playing guitar has given me many hours of pleasure.

• @Saga Lout ... Good luck with that - playing guitar has given me many hours of pleasure.

me too .. I'm not too sure what the neighbours think of it though !!!!! :=)
  • Other than musical instruments...

How about learning how to use photoshop or similar packages, you could contribute to the 'olly' thread
  • After reading your responses on April 8, I would recommend that you sign onto a Course to achieve a positive mental attitude.