Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chelsea's Potential New Ground

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2759942,00.html

If this goes through, it could be some stadium. Glad that the power station will retain it's presence there and good to see them listening to fans to incorporate four seperate stands rather than the all-too-common 'bowl' stadium.

Comments

• Options
    Have they sorted out all the issues over the pitch ownership of Stamford Bridge now then?
  • Options
    It's not like they coudl get rid of the power station anyway.

Ths will work only if the Northern Line Extension gets funding. The previous owners Treasury Holdings were willing to put in £200m odd but that's only a third of the total cost. Without the NLE, the site is just too isolated from public transport to allow any significant development.
  • Options
    That sounds nuts. A brand new football ground with Victorian chimneys. I can't wait to see a picture. Sounds worse than that monstrosity Liverpool unveiled but never built. A 15,000 seater stand behind a goal could be quite something though. Let's hope the 'acoustics' are okay. You wouldn't want to be outsung in there.
  • Options
    I've been quite involved in the Power Stn saga over the last few years. Biggest issue for Chelski to overcome will be transport links. It's not nr the tube (unlike Stamford B) and will be hell for local residents with a 60k capacity. Expect the planning battle to be long and difficult. Chelski's bid will obviously be subject to planning so other offers might come in unconditional. The Power Station has beaten several parties with deep pockets so far. However it remains the biggest undeveloped site in central London. The Power
    Station itself only occupies a quarter of the site.
  • Options
    So what happens to Stamford Bridge? You can't just bulldozer away 7 years of history!
  • Options
    As long as they have a decent designer I think this could be pretty epic
  • Options
    So what happens to Stamford Bridge? You can't just bulldozer away 7 years of history!
    Very good.
  • Options
    In keeping with a club of Chelskis dubious history I expect the plan for the new ground to have all the style and cache of a Tescos carrier bag.
  • Options
    So we won't be #1 in South London for much longer then?!
  • Options
    Battersea Drogs Home
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So we won't be #1 in South London for much longer then?!
    Well if like many on here you believe Postcodes indicate where you are geographically, Chelsea are already in South London and always have been. Their postcode is SW6.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Have visions of thousands and thousands of fans walking over those bridges to the games......they will bring the area to a complete standstill....funneling hoardes of folk over Chelsea and Albert Bridge's from north of the river and back again will be a nightmare and indeed can they take the load.....yes I'm not kidding.
    There is an old sign requesting troops to 'break step' whilst marching over The Albert Bridge because of the stress marching in step could place on the bridges structure.....suggesting that thousands of folk on the bridge all at one time it would be significant.
    Add to this that one must assume pedestrians would be asked to keep on the bridges pavements.....the words bottle neck and potential disaster sping to mind.
    Before and after the games how and where is traffic supposed to cross the river and then go West or East along the embankment.
    I see a traffic nightmare of epic proportions looming!!
  • Options

There is an old sign requesting troops to 'break step' whilst marching over either Chelsea or The Albert Bridge (not sure which, Albert I think) because of the stress marching in step could place on the bridges structure.....suggesting that thousands of folk on the bridges all at one time would be significant.

That is actually because the momentum would make it swing, like the wobbly millenium bridge by the tate did.
  • Options

There is an old sign requesting troops to 'break step' whilst marching over either Chelsea or The Albert Bridge (not sure which, Albert I think) because of the stress marching in step could place on the bridges structure.....suggesting that thousands of folk on the bridges all at one time would be significan

That is actually because the momentum would make it swing, like the wobbly millenium bridge by the tate did.
    Quite possibly shine.

• Options
    If these people are genuine in their commitment to preserve the chimneys & turbine hall I would love to see it regardless of all the impracticalities.
    It would look like an Escher drawing.
    Build it & they will come.
  • Options
    That sounds nuts. A brand new football ground with Victorian chimneys. I can't wait to see a picture.
    It will be near the power station but I don't think they could convert the station itself.

• Options
    I've been quite involved in the Power Stn saga over the last few years. Biggest issue for Chelski to overcome will be transport links. It's not nr the tube (unlike Stamford B) and will be hell for local residents with a 60k capacity. Expect the planning battle to be long and difficult. Chelski's bid will obviously be subject to planning so other offers might come in unconditional. The Power Station has beaten several parties with deep pockets so far. However it remains the biggest undeveloped site in central London. The Power
    Station itself only occupies a quarter of the site.
    There's already a planing permission to develop the site but that will have the be amended quite significantly. Surpringly, the Treasury scheme got permission relatively easily (i.e. no inquiry or judicial review). But it could not be developed beyond a very imited stage unless it was clear that the Northern Line extension had funding and was going to be constructed.

• Options
    If these people are genuine in their commitment to preserve the chimneys & turbine hall I would love to see it regardless of all the impracticalities.

Im with you
  • Options
    A genuine laugh out loud moment.
  • Options

Im with you
    Missed your original post first time round but I agree. In the right hands it could be spectacular.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bit off topic, but is the power station used for anything these days? I know it was turned into a gig venue at one stage but don't hear of anything these days............
  • Options
    A bit of filming every now and again.
  • Options
    part of any redevelopment at Battersea Power Station, the builders and owners need to commit to funding a Northern Line extension there as part of the planning permission.
  • Options
    Can't they build a new part of Battersea Park station on the other side of the tracks as part of the deal as well? And maybe even extend the Victoria line along to the power station. If it goes ahead it will be a wonderful stadium imo, as long as they keep the exterior of the power station, a bit like the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis image
  • Options
    Fuck off Chelski South London is ours!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Bit off topic, but is the power station used for anything these days? I know it was turned into a gig venue at one stage but don't hear of anything these days............
    Pink Floyd fly pigs over it now and then .... I can't see why the place isn't just demolished, the land in that area must potentially be worth a large fortune.
  • Options
    quite right, well put

• Options
    Chelsea moving south of the river will have zero impact on us imo - they aren't exactly moving to the Dome are they? And keep an eye on the language please...

• Options
    They wont get 60,000 for about 85% of games I reckon
  • Options
    Abramovich will have the Thames diverted and a 6 lane motorway built from Stamford Bridge to Battersea (or South Chelsea as it it sometimes referred to) for the sole use of their supporters. This will enable their 4x4s to avoid having to encounter the Sarf Londoners who inhabit that part of London.

It is close to Battersea Dog's home where there are always plenty of bitches on heat. Could be handy for JT then.