Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chelsea's Potential New Ground

Comments

• Options
    They returned 8,000 tickets unsold for the FA Cup Semi-Final at Wembley a few weeks back.
    They havent sold out many of their Premier League games this season too.

They wont ever fill it. Simple.

Also interesting to see that they've pinched the one tier stand directly from the drawings from the new WHL.

The only difference being sadly is that Uncle Roman will build it before the new WHL is built. Its small pocket change for him after all.
  • Options
    I've been quite involved in the Power Stn saga over the last few years. Biggest issue for Chelski to overcome will be transport links. It's not nr the tube (unlike Stamford B) and will be hell for local residents with a 60k capacity. Expect the planning battle to be long and difficult. Chelski's bid will obviously be subject to planning so other offers might come in unconditional. The Power Station has beaten several parties with deep pockets so far. However it remains the biggest undeveloped site in central London. The Power
    Station itself only occupies a quarter of the site.
    There's already a planing permission to develop the site but that will have the be amended quite significantly. Surpringly, the Treasury scheme got permission relatively easily (i.e. no inquiry or judicial review). But it could not be developed beyond a very imited stage unless it was clear that the Northern Line extension had funding and was going to be constructed.

would need to be a new application for the use (plus 60k capacity will get the locals up in arms)
  • Options
    has anyone got a drawing?
  • Options
    Would be an interesting looking stadium. Would look pretty unique and be yet another world class venue in britain. Filling it would be a big problem though
  • Options
    has anyone got a drawing?
    No, but give me a minute - what would you like me to draw?
  • Options
    its a great iconic building, shame it will be turned into a dull meccano box with just the facade of the chimneys left. Incredible how if enough money is involved all conservation goes out the window.
  • Options
    They returned 8,000 tickets unsold for the FA Cup Semi-Final at Wembley a few weeks back.
    They havent sold out many of their Premier League games this season too.

They wont ever fill it. Simple.

Also interesting to see that they've pinched the one tier stand directly from the drawings from the new WHL.

The only difference being sadly is that Uncle Roman will build it before the new WHL is built. Its small pocket change for him after all.

There speaks a bitter Spurs fan : - )
  • Options
    Fuck off Chelski South London is ours!!!!!!!!!!
    No it's not, it's Palace's

• Options

I think you'll find its Welling's actually.
  • Options

I think you'll find its Welling's actually.
    it's obviously Brighton's. Don't know why we dont count them as our local rivals as palace do...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is this what they meant whjen they said they were aiming to be the powerhouse of british football
  • Options
  • Options
    Could someone please print the above picture and give it to my Dad who would love it so much that he's probably frame it and stick it up in the front room. He never stops going on about the 'beach.'
  • Options
    Well if like many on here you believe Postcodes indicate where you are geographically, Chelsea are already in South London and always have been. Their postcode is SW6.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    From the description given, I reckon they might be planning something like this...

Sorry the image is so crude! I think that the retained west turbine hall will be behind one of the end stands, and the east turbine hall (along with the east curtain wall) will be demolished to make space for the pitch and other stands.

Alternatively, they might convert the whole power station into a hotel or something, and just have a new stadium alongside it.
  • Options
    Looks like Battersea Power Station is off the agenda , I suspect they may end up groundsharing with QPR at White City.

From the Mirror

Chelsea have failed in their bid to build a new stadium at Battersea Power Station.

Last month the Blues revealed that they had submitted an application to move to the 39-acre site in Wandsworth, but administrators revealed this morning that a joint bid by two Malaysian companies - SP Setia and Sime Darby - had been chosen instead.

A statement from Ernst & Young read: "Following an extensive global marketing campaign, undertaken by Ernst & Young Real Estate Corporate Finance and Knight Frank LLP, the Joint Administrators are pleased to announce that on Wednesday 6 June 2012 they entered into an exclusivity agreement with SP Setia and Sime Darby and are working towards a timely exchange and completion of the site and associated land."

The European champions are considering moving away from their Stamford Bridge home as their current capacity of around 42,000 is preventing them from bringing in the kind of matchday revenue enjoyed by the likes of Arsenal and Manchester United, who have much bigger stadiums.

Chelsea revealed in plans last month that they intended to transform the Grade II listed building on the south bank of the River Thames in to "one of the most iconic football stadiums in the world".

Their plan for Battersea was to develop it into a 60,000-seater ground that included the power station's four chimneys.

When they released their plans, Chelsea insisted that they had definitely not committed themselves to leaving Stamford Bridge, although they also claimed it was not economically viable to redevelop their current west London home.

The Blues have also been linked with other sites in south-west London

SP Setia and Sime Derby revealed in a release to the Malaysian stock exchange this morning that their £400million "multi-use real estate regeneration project" bid had been successful. They also plan to build a tube station on the premises that will connect to the Northern Line.

A 28-day period of due diligence will now follow, but the hopes Chelsea had of relocating to the site of one of London's most iconic landmarks are seemingly over.

Last October the fans' group who own the freehold of Stamford Bride, Chelsea Pitch Owners (CPO), rejected an offer from the club's owner Roman Abramovich, to buy their shares.

CPO shareholders have accused Chelsea of failing to fully explore the prospect of revamping Stamford Bridge, while Hammersmith and Fulham Council have disputed the club's claims that doing so would be far more expensive that moving.

Wandsworth Council, meanwhile, were happy with the administrators' decision over Battersea.

Council leader Ravi Govindia said: "There is still some way to go but this is potentially very good news. The power station is one of the biggest development opportunities in Nine Elms and key to extending the Northern Line into Battersea.

"We're making tremendous progress towards transforming this old industrial stretch of the South Bank which will provide up to 25,000 new jobs for London.

"It's important that this site and its iconic building are not left behind and that a developer is brought in who understands our vision for the new Nine Elms."

• Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18352786
    Cardiff are moving there it seems

• Options

Nah, we are...
  • Options
    Does Britain/ British companies own anything in this country any more?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Hopefully not.

Sad that Chelsea didn't get it. It would've looked good as a football stadium.

• Options

Andrews Air Conditioning do, I have heard they are a great company, and a company logo to die for :-)
  • Options
    There have been so many owners of the Battersea site that I've given up trying to work out what will happen there, I have doubts the new owners will be any different from the previous ones.

Perhaps they'll paint it red?
  • Options
    sad, would've actually liked it as a football stadium, as they said, it would have been one of the most iconic stadiums in the world.
  • Options
    I understand buildings being listed sometimes but the power station is an ugly building and I couldn't care less if they flattened it.
    If they'd have done it thirty years ago we wouldn't have had to look at that horrible site for this long
  • Options
    what, exactly, is a "multi-use real estate regeneration project"

For £400m I don't think you'll get a lot of change after extending the Northern line, so I assume it means a cluster of posh flats some of which will be near the river, and whats left of the power station will be preserved. Groundbreaking or what?

As killerandflash sort of says, heard it all before
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    They need a new stadium BIG time to help them with FFP.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

I understand buildings being listed sometimes but the power station is an ugly building and I couldn't care less if they flattened it.
    If they'd have done it thirty years ago we wouldn't have had to look at that horrible site for this long

Thing is Battersea power station is the largest brick built building in the world and from that perspective it is of architectural significance. Agree it's ugly, a bit of a wreck but it would have made an awesome stadium
  • Options

For £400m I don't think you'll get a lot of change after extending the Northern line, so I assume it means a cluster of posh flats some of which will be near the river, and whats left of the power station will be preserved. Groundbreaking or what?

The permission which the previous owners got was got a few thousand residential units, retail, offices and leisure. The £400m does not include the £250m contribution required for the northern line extension or the other planning contributions.

I think this will happen at last. TfL are seeking consent for the extension and look like they will get funding for it. The lack of transport has always been the stumbling block before in developing the site.
  • Options
    Just a mix of houses, flats, offices, retail etc. As a Real Estate student I felt this is a question I should be answering! haha

The permission which the previous owners got was got a few thousand residential units, retail, offices and leisure. The £400m does not include the £250m contribution required for the northern line extension or the other planning contributions.

I think this will happen at last. TfL are seeking consent for the extension and look like they will get funding for it. The lack of transport has always been the stumbling block before in developing the site.
    Transport has been one of many stumbling blocks. The irish consortium beforehand struggled to get any finance for the site and post-recession were completely screwed!

Plus theres a problem with planning. So many designs have been put forward that have been rejected by Wandsworth. It doesnt help that Prince Philip has been sticking his nose in as well!