Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic Tower

Comments

• Options
    I thought that they had left the scaffolding tower in place to be honest.
    What particular function/form is this trying to represent, it certainly has no style, should do well in the 'turner' mind you
  • Options
    A lot of people who go up it will be foreign tourists, many of whom may well have spent all their money "up west" normally, but will take a visit to the park and therefore bring in cash to one of Londons poorer areas, albeit only for a day. That's the legacy.
  • Options
    seems to be towers popping up all over the place.

towers to be the new Ferris wheel? every city needs one.

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2012-05-11/council-inject-14m-into-i360-scheme/
    Completely off topic whilst we wait for LL but why do designers think that sticking an "i" in front of anything immediately gives whatever piece of rubbish they are designing any added value at all? Where's it all going to end I thought to myself this morning as I tucked into my icrunchynutflakes?

Probably sponsorship BA?
  • Options
    It's ok but a couple of baloons like they have in Bournemouth with all the nations flags on them would have been better IMO.
  • Options
    There is something vaguely similar here in Atlanta (site of the 1996 games)

http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/imagedays/olympicflametower.htm
  • Options
    There is something vaguely similar here in Atlanta (site of the 1996 games)

http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/imagedays/olympicflametower.htm
    At least the one in Atlanta serves a purpose.
  • Options
    my daughter is there to the viewing gallery next week with the Scouts
  • Options
    and that's all that's really reminds of the Olympics in Atlanta
  • Options
    Well that and the 21 acre Centennial Olympic Park right in the center of town and Turner Field (now home of the Atlanta Braves) which was converted from the Olympic Stadium.

The games here brought massive regeneration of the inner city.....the population grew from 3.5 mill in 1996 to nearly 6.5 mill now.

Feck knows what would happen if another 3 mill decided to move to London!
  • Options
    Very kind of Mr Mittal but i'm sure there are a lot of poor people in India that could have done with some new Schools or a Hospital or two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does this mean that every shop on the High Street is "publicly funded" then?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The Watts Towers in LA .. twice as attractive and cost about a fiver .. 20 million for a heap of scrap .. the monetary world HAS gone mad .. and we as a nation are sending aid to India while an Indian megamillionaire is defiling our country with this heap of rubbish !!
  • Options
    The Watts Towers in LA .. twice as attractive and cost about a fiver .. 20 million for a heap of scrap .. the monetary world HAS gone mad .. and we as a nation are sending aid to India while an Indian megamillionaire is defiling our country with this heap of rubbish !!
    Not a fan then?
  • Options
    Not a fan then?
    hahahaha .. you must think me a right old misery guts .. NO NO NO to 'the pretzel tower' and NO NO NO NO NO to maroon kit with silly collars
  • Options
    Surely it is up to him what he spends his money on?
  • Options
    posh scaffolding.
  • Options
    At £15, they are definitely having a laugh.
  • Options
    it's £15 during the Olympics, likely to be less post games, it's less then the London eye, and about the same as the Blackpool tower
  • Options
    Surely it is up to him what he spends his money on?
    It is. He and his family choose to spend some on schools, hospitals and other charities
    http://www.mittal.com/socialactivities.htm
  • Options
    it's £15 during the Olympics, likely to be less post games, it's less then the London eye, and about the same as the Blackpool tower
    If you have a travel card the London Eye is half price.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does anyone know when it's due to be finished? - not much time left now.
  • Options
    Am I missing something here? Are we all being forced to visit and go up this tower and pay £15 for the privilege?

Someone paid $120m for a painting last week and it's one of four. One man's art is another mans space programme.

Stop moaning LL and just let some people who enjoy this sort of thing enjoy it. After all it won't be costing you a penny.
  • Options
    Am I missing something here? Are we all being forced to visit and go up this tower and pay £15 for the privilege?

Someone paid $120m for a painting last week and it's one of four. One man's art is another mans space programme.

Stop moaning LL and just let some people who enjoy this sort of thing enjoy it. After all it won't be costing you a penny.
    some of the money, I am not sure how much, has come from the GLA or the Mayor's (Boris Johnson) funds, that is NOT his private funds b t w
  • Options
    Which will create long term jobs in running and maintaining this tourist attraction for years.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    3.1 million has been paid by the GLA towards this monument named for Mittal .. scandalous
  • Options
    About as scandalous as the money spent on The Humber Bridge just so 34 people a day have a shorter journey to work. :-)
  • Options
    About as scandalous as the money spent on The Humber Bridge just so 34 people a day have a shorter journey to work. :-)
    now you are REALLY displaying your ignorance or was that intended to be a satirical understatement ?
  • Options
    Am I?

This is the Bridge which has just had £150m cut from its debt by the taxpayer. And for whose benefit?
  • Options
    Am I?

This is the Bridge which has just had £150m cut from its debt by the taxpayer. And for whose benefit?
    the same 'type' of people who benefit from the Blackwall Tunnels, London Bridge, Tower Bridge, all other London Bridges and Tunnels (toll free), the Dartford Bridge and Tunnel, the M25 etc etc .. I don't really see the comparison betwen a public utility and a vanity project for a multimillionaire which has been part funded by the taxpayer whose interests you are keen to champion.
  • Options
    Capital expenditure on infrastructure is always worth every penny.

I'm just pointing out that you're bemoaning about £3.1m being spent on something you don't think is worth it but will have a lasting legacy and will be visited by hundreds of thousand paying tourists over the next decade, yet we haven't heard a single peep from you about the £150m of public money that has just been spent on reducing the debt of the Humber Bridge so that you only have to pay half of what you were paying two months ago to cross.