Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gary Neville

Comments

• Options
    Talks a good game on Sky. See this as a good appointment.
  • Options
    No experience as manager or coach and yet so many seem thrilled by the bloke?

A lot of my sons mates 'talk a good game' after winning the Premier League on Championship manager.

Still, if it get his annoying voice off Sky Sports it might be worth it.....
  • Options
    An undersized right back as England coach. Can think of a future England right back who benefits from this
  • Options
    He will manage England within the next five years.

seems like a good appoitment, only judging by what he says on sky.
  • Options
    Its refreshing to see a choice like this. Better to have someone like Neville who is a bit more in touch with the modern game. You have the wise old head of Hodgson and the youth of Neville.
  • Options
    Very , Very good appointment. The man talks a lot of sense.
  • Options
    Gary Neville has no experience as a coach. Chris Powell had no experience as a manager. Funny old game. Fantastic appointment as far as i'm concerned. Might even start to take more of an interest in future England games.
  • Options
    I like the fact that he comes across as serious, disciplined, passionate and knowledgable. Should have the respect of the players. I get the feeling he'll give 110% in anything he does, so I like it!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Gary Neville has no experience as a coach. Chris Powell had no experience as a manager. Funny old game. Fantastic appointment as far as i'm concerned. Might even start to take more of an interest in future England games.
    My thoughts exactly , i really wasn't particularly interested in the Euro's from an England point of view,The players won't change but might help Roy H to get the press off his back , after the Harry Redknapp love in from the media fell apart.

• Options
    Good move imo. Not sure why the FA would need to get anyone back on their side as I also think the Hodgson appointment was a great decision too!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yer he talks good stuff on sky think that could just be what the players need in the form of backroom staff
  • Options
    Neville had coach written all over him as a player. He wasn't the most gifted individual but he had a real understanding of the game and that allowed him to maxmise his talents (along with hard work) and he went on to have a glittering career as a result. Used to think he **** because of his links to United but he's been a superb pundit and has demonstrated a real understanding for tactics and player pshycology which is beyond most of the ex pros in the media and is usually only heard when you get the occasional appearance in a media role from a successful manager (e.g. Curbs). Seems a good appointment to me and he should command respect from a significant number of players.
  • Options
    With Hodgson and Lewington involved there is no real need for more experience in terms of coaching.
    Neville speaks excellently on Sky and clearly shows a 'coaching' mind when being a pundit. Neville also will know a lot about the players and I'm sure he would speak his mind when required.
    Wise move by Hodgson and the FA
  • Options
    "Neville had coach written all over him as a player"

And yet he chose to become a punit instead of a coach...

I assume he does have his FA qualifications as least?
  • Options
    He's been a pundit less than a year.
    i think he has uefa a and b coaching licences and am guessing they take longer than 9 months to get, so i think he may have decided to go down the coaching route long before the pundit opportunity came along.
  • Options
    i think he has uefa a and b coaching licences and am guessing they take longer than 9 months to get, so i think he may have decided to go down the coaching route long before the pundit opportunity came along.
    he does..B takes @ 9-12 months and A takes 2 years

• Options
    he does..B takes @ 9-12 months and A takes 2 years

Compare apples with apples. He has done training as a football coach which takes 2 years, but never undertaken it as a job.

He's been doing media work since at least 2002, he didn't walk straight into the job at Sky 9 months ago with no previous media experience.
  • Options
    I just hope this keeps Stuart Pearce out of things.
  • Options
    May be a good link between the players and the management. Is very knowledgable, knows most of the England players through United or when he was playing and will hopefully not be afraid to voice his opinion. Won't be a yes man for sure.

Good appointment.
  • Options
    He hasn't been appointed for his coaching ability (in my opinion). Neville will know the majority of the players and I would guess his job would be to get them all pulling in the same direction (The direction that Hodgson wants). Perhaps Hodgson is concerned he will not automatically have the respect of the players whereas Neville will.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    New Head Coach at Valencia apparently
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Gary or Phil?

Just seen it is Gary, good luck to him.
  • Options

Gary or Phil?
    Gary.
  • Options
    So both Nevilles will be there?

Strange move by Gary, apart from Sky. what about his England role?
  • Options
    This 'interim' thing is catching on.
  • Options

Presume he will meet up for International duties and be in France in the summer.
  • Options

Presume he will meet up for International duties and be in France in the summer.
    With the job expectancy in football these days, he'll probably be sacked by the summer anyway!
  • Options
    Good on G Nev, could easily take the easy life like most ex pro players and do some punditry and occassional coaching but fair play for taking a head role and having a go at management!