Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gary Neville

13»

Comments

• Options
    Going on the Valencia forums they are not happy at all with this appointment. In fact they sound a lot like us citing his lack of experience and connections with the owner as the only reason he got the job. It's easy to forget how little experience he has as he talks a lot of sense on Sky each week, but obviously the Valencians haven't seen this!
  • Options
    Never used to like Gary Neville but he's really grown on me in the last couple of years. Extremely knowledgeable and passionate about the game. Good luck to him. Hope he does well. He has the potential to be a very good manager
  • Options
    Gonna be a great Mgr
  • Options
    Would we have wanted him ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Yes - along with his co-owners to buy RD out.
  • Options

Never used to like Gary Neville but he's really grown on me in the last couple of years. Extremely knowledgeable and passionate about the game. Good luck to him. Hope he does well. He has the potential to be a very good manager

100% This.

• Options
    Good appointment for Gary but am as shocked reading this as I was when I saw he was being linked with the Fulham job... Hopefully give him some experience (especially out in the Spanish Leagues) as I'd be surprised if he's not the next England Manager.
  • Options

Hard to say. Everyone expect Stuart Pearce, Ray Wilkins and Bryan Robson to be good managers, there;s a difference between being a great player or talker of the game, and actually coaching and organising players
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Hard to say. Everyone expect Stuart Pearce, Ray Wilkins and Bryan Robson to be good managers, there;s a difference between being a great player or talker of the game, and actually coaching and organising players
    Good to see him giving it a go... Alan Shearer is someone I really hate these days because he used to be linked with loads of jobs and he'd reply: "Nah not ready for it yet"... In truth that would translate as: "I did shite at Newcastle, I'll do shite with another club, so I'll stick to talking shite about the Sport instead"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

Absolutely. Can you imagine the respect he'd get in the dressing room? Every player knows who Gary Neville is. He's got close to 100 international caps, has worked under the best manager of all time and played with some of the best players of all time.

Compare that with Karel Fraeye. The definition of a nobody.

Still surprised his first job is at a club as big as Valencia, but definitely a gamble worth taking.
  • Options
    I wanted us to offer him player manager position when Pardew got sacked. Will be a very good manager.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    they have Barcelona on the weekend.

for me this gives me a chance to see if Neville is not all talk. He and Hodgeson have been average to piss poor for England (last world cup was a complete disaster. and if he was doing the analysis after he would end up having a seizure with the amount of mistakes England made) but maybe with a head coach role at a domestic club he can show us all that he actually can put into practice all his technical knowledge that he so easily gives out every Monday night.
  • Options
    Will be a miss to Sky's coverage. Hope this doesn't mean Garry Birtles gets a promotion.
  • Options

for me this gives me a chance to see if Neville is not all talk. He and Hodgeson have been average to piss poor for England (last world cup was a complete disaster. and if he was doing the analysis after he would end up having a seizure with the amount of mistakes England made) but maybe with a head coach role at a domestic club he can show us all that he actually can put into practice all his technical knowledge that he so easily gives out every Monday night.

Hmmm I'm not sure i agree with that. I think him going to manage in Spain is going to be a tricky task, especially already into a season and when he's only got the job until may, but it will be an excellent experience for him and I'm sure he'll learn a lot, which from an English point of view is great.

Plus, Neville was very critical of our performance in Brazil but we have a decent set of young players coming through at International level and I don't think his contribution to their introduction and performance in qualifiers should be underestimated.
  • Options

Hmmm I'm not sure i agree with that. I think him going to manage in Spain is going to be a tricky task, especially already into a season and when he's only got the job until may, but it will be an excellent experience for him and I'm sure he'll learn a lot, which from an English point of view is great.

Plus, Neville was very critical of our performance in Brazil but we have a decent set of young players coming through at International level and I don't think his contribution to their introduction and performance in qualifiers should be underestimated.
    Hopefully after being critical of our performance he can learn from it. next summer will show us if he has otherwise his opinions on tactics will lose a lot of weight. we do have a more talented squad than last year, which he has helped to nurture. the defence still looks shaky though.

I agree it will be difficult in spain for him or any first time manager. It'll be interesting to see how he tackles it.
  • Options
    have a lot of time for him - has a lot more insight into the game than everyone else and i have no doubt he will be a very,very good manager.
    TBH, if only we didnt have a total a****hole of an owner, coz once he finishes his stint in Spain he would have been a magnificent signing for a team like us, and have no doubt he will be a big success in the future.