Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Danny Green In the Championship

edited May 2012 in General Charlton
He has his doubters but I really like him as a footballer. I think he will stand out better next season in the Championship as I hope it might encourage him more and suit his style of play. His main attribute is that he can deliver a great cross which of course is more threatening and can leads to goals.

I'm not sure at all about next season but I hope Green is in SCP's plans to play a big role in the Champ, can see him coming into his own a bit more, playing to his strengths and an important role for the team.

Thoughts?

Comments

• He has his doubters but I really like him as a footballer. I think he will stand out better next season in the Championship as I hope it might encourage him more and suit his style of play. His main attribute is that he can deliver a great cross which of course is more threatening and can leads to goals.

I'm not sure at all about next season but I hope Green is in SCP's plans to play a big role in the Champ, can see him coming into his own a bit more, playing to his strengths and an important role for the team.

Thoughts?
    agreed, want us to let Green and Waggy compete for the position again
  • His house isn't big enough for the Championship
  • If we have any aspirations of doing a Norwich or Sourhamton then I don't think either of then are good enough.
    I hope I'm proved wrong.
  • Agreed. Think he is a fantastic footballer.

What a lot of people fail to realise is that he is at his most deadly from set plays. We're fortunate enough to have the likes of Yann and JJ as consistent first teamers which means we maybe haven't seen that side of him too much.

He gets a lot of criticism for not tracking back too well, but I think that's only a result of Wagstaff being exceptionally good at tracking back. Green doesn't do defensive duties any less than other good wingers out there.

He is the best crosser of a ball I've seen at the club.
  • I know this had been said a bajillion times on this forum before but ... I genuinely believe that if Waggy could consistently supply effective crosses he'd be better than Green, however I don't really see this happen :/ and so I also expect Green to come into his own. I'd be more than happy to see Waggy surprise me just like Solly did though :)
  • His freekick for Yann's goal vs Huddersfield was Beckham-esque.

Moments like that the season just gone is why we were champions.
  • we have not seen anywhere near the best of Danny Green yet.
  • I hope he steps up for The Championship. I would like his fitness to improve as well, he seemed to tire at about 75 minutes last season.
    He's certainly not lived up to the enormous hype around him when he arrived. He was forgiven a lot on here but didn't really deliver often enough or consistently enough.

He was correctly dropped for the better team player late in the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• I like danny green but he fustrates the hell out of me, he is so poor defensively, he cannot not tackle to save his life, just jumps in and gives a fk away. This is why he gets so many yellow cards. If he can improve the defensive side to his game then I think he can be a very good player for us.
  • He's a very clever player and his vision sometimes is amazing. He has the ability to match and is just the kind of player you need in The Championship to make that difference in tight games. I just prefer Waggy out on the right and think he has performed better there than Green. I see Green as a central midfielder in the long term.
  • Let's not forget he played in a lot of matches for us last season, scored and set up some important goals aswell as playing in arguably our biggest games/wins of the season (Huddersfield/Sheffield Wed and Sheff United). He hardly had a bad season last year, just perhaps did not live up the pre season hype and took a long time to adapt from the style of football at Daggers which is very different. Also like Waggy he has a few weaknesses which he needs to work on.

Certainly not going to write him off yet, if he can work on the weaknesses then we have a real asset. Genuinely think his delivery is amongst the best I've seen whilst he did not get anywhere near direct goalscoring free kicks last season (for obvious reasons) but he is more than capable of scoring more goals.

He could certainly surprise a few next season.
  • I like danny green but he fustrates the hell out of me, he is so poor defensively, he cannot not tackle to save his life, just jumps in and gives a fk away. This is why he gets so many yellow cards. If he can improve the defensive side to his game then I think he can be a very good player for us.
    This also frustrates me. I never like to see a Charlton player bottle a challenge and I'm afraid that Green did exactly that far too many times last season. When he did go in he usually gave away a foul and was booked.

This also frustrates me. I never like to see a Charlton player bottle a challenge and I'm afraid that Green did exactly that far too many times last season. When he did go in he usually gave away a foul and was booked.

I agree with both comments. His defending is awful and we can't afford that at Championship. Hopefully SCP has a few training sessions with him!! I do think when he has the ball he has the potential to make a difference in the final third.
    He's certainly not lived up to the enormous hype around him when he arrived. He was forgiven a lot on here but didn't really deliver often enough or consistently enough.

He was correctly dropped for the better team player late in the season.
    I was one of those that believed that Green would force Wagstaff out of the side completely. After, rightly, keeping his place in the side following a great start Wagstaff lost his place to Green who was, in my view, given a very decent run in the side. In the end I have to agree with Henry, Wagstaff would be my preference in that position now. I also agree with those that say that this position might be one of those we need to strengthen if we have any, real, aspirations of a top six finish.

Like Beds, I hope I wrong, but time will tell.
  • Green > Wagstaff
  • Green > Wagstaff
    Glad that one's sorted.

• I like waggy, but maybe just to be used as an impact player for next season. Danny Green has more quality so if we can get the best out of him he would be more of an asset at championship level.
  • The job of most full-backs is to stop crosses coming over. A lot of those (not Solly or Wiggy) in L1 & L2 weren't up to it and Green has had some success but he hasn't got the pace or tricks to beat decent opponents so he will struggle and find it harder in CCC. He may improve with better fitness and coaching and I hope he does but I prefer Waggy for his defending, eye for a goal and ceasless running and pressuring.
  • Sponsored links:

• Green > Wagstaff
    Glad that one's sorted.

Glad you agree.
  • I like Green but I also like Waggy, only one way to find out who's best, Fight!
  • Just seen him on TV on ESPN news. A feature on the Euro 2012 ball.
  • I like a lot of what both Waggy and Green offer, but as others have mentioned many times they both don't really have the full skill set to be a top quality winger. I see Waggy as our best bet because he just seems to have a certain drive and determination about him that might see him maximise his potential, but if I was his manager I would have him doing additional training practicising wipping in crosses, instead of just dinking them in as he tends to, as well as trying learn as many dribbling tricks as he can.

Overall though, I suspect right wing will be an area CP will be working hard to improve over the summer by bringing a player in - Green may well be allowed to leave either on loan or if the right offer comes in.

Not that I want to give the impression that I have a downer on either of them, they both made significant contributions at different times last season and it's not Green's fault he was so over hyped on here. Unfortunatley though, I don't really buy into this theory that the Championship is going to be easier for some of our more flair type players like Green and Stephens, it's still played at a high pace and has very physical sides - it is the English second division after all, not La Liga.
  • I spoke to him about this at the sponsors' evening and, believe me, he is raring to go.

He spoke about playing his football in front of 1500 then 15000 and how it had taken some time to get used to.

He is expecting 20000+ crowds and is really excited about playing in the CCC.

This group of players are a close-knit bunch, and are very supportive of each other. DG is being encouraged by YK and Andy Hughes - yet he himself is coaching Michael Smith to get improvement.

They seem a very honest lot and recognise their own shortfalls.
  • I still think him being a good crosser is a bit of a myth. I prefer quality over quantity.

Hope I'm proved wrong.
  • Both Green and Waggy have much to prove. Moreover, Wiggy and Solly show that if set up right, the fullbacks can bomb forward - players like Jacko and Hughes instinctly knew when to sit back and cover (shame Russell didn't at Hudders...)

Alsio, we were getting found out playing a rigid 442, and have players like Haynes who may be better in a different formation. Say 433 with 3 from Hollands/Stephens/Pritch/Jacko, then BWP/Kermo/Haynes. That leaves both Waggy and Green on the bench.
  • Like green had a bad start to the season because of the suspension from the previous season , wagstaff scored and cp kept the winning team going , when he got his chance he made a good impression playing in a totally different football formation than at dag, he was the main target at dag every dead ball situation he was involved in , where as at charlton he has had to wait his time because there are others that want to do the job . His defending compared to most right wingers in L 1 is very good don't forget both the wingers have a lot of running to do to get back to defend I've been to every home game this season and his work rate is better than jacksons , yet he doesn't get the same stick . He is a quality player and if we don't look after him will move on to better things ? .
  • Can't help but agree with Henry. DG has not lived up to the hype surrounding his arrival and taking all things into consideration I think he was a disappointment last season. Not writing him off and very pleased to hear he is champing at the bit to do well next season. Perhaps the Championship will suit him better but along with Dale Stephens I think he / they need to step up to the plate because there is a lot of talent there.
  • I think Green is likely to have more of an impact than Waggy. Sir Chris said when we bought him that he had to unlearn some bad habits and learn good ones - or something to that effect. Last season was a learning season, and he still played his part. Can't believe some people are writing him off - are players not allowed to develop? Green is a player with bags of potential.