Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Green In the Championship

Comments

• Options
    Like Green a lot. Technique at free kicks and crossing far too good for Leagues 1 or 2. I think he'll get games and make an impact. There will be a lot of games again, plenty to go around, so hope he stays and plays.
  • Options
    Needs to find more space and the rest of the team need to give him the ball more often. Like to see him stretch the width of the pitch more, but not gonna happen with the current conservative, but highly effective tactical style.
  • Options
    Won't write him off completely but I doubt he'll step up to Championship level. Decent (and very frustrating) player in League 1 but I think he'll struggle in the Champ (if still here of course).

For me we won't be successful with both Green and Stephens in the team. Although Stephens is also frustrating he looks more likely to develop.

Stepping up a division isn't going to make things any easier for him. Without pace or tricks he needs a brilliant end product. Obviously got a good cross and sometimes picks out a nice pass, but that's not enough. He also makes a lot of poor decisions and doesn't read the game well. He can improve but I'm not sure it's going to be enough for where we are aiming to be.
  • Options
    If he is going to succeed next season then he needs to step up and make the impression that he failed to make in the 1st Division. I din't hold with this he'll be better in the higher division,he is going to come across a better class of defender, stronger, faster and more powerful so he needs to develop. A great crosser but he needs more to his game, even if he does a Johnny Robinson and adds battler to his qualities.
  • Options
    Hold up, I'm confused. What logic is there to the idea that Danny Green should be a better player when playing in a better standard of league? Surely The Championship is not an easier league than League One? Wishful thinking I'm afraid.
  • Options
    I think someone said he'd been struggling with a virus this season, so maybe we've not seen the best of Danny yet , like him and Waggy.
  • Options
    Green still has something to prove, but some players need a season to settle in. During the long period he kept Waggy out of the team, I felt Waggy was unlucky, as Green's contributions, while useful, weren't so good as to make him an automatic pick. 3 goals was a disappointing return, when Waggy got 5 in fewer appearances, and there weren't as many 'assists' as he would have hoped, partly because we have so many good free kick takers in the team at the moment.
  • Options
    I think someone said he'd been struggling with a virus this season, so maybe we've not seen the best of Danny yet , like him and Waggy.
    your being sarcastic right? the virus has stopped him playing well all season?
  • Options
    we have not seen anywhere near the best of Danny Green yet.
    He's certainly not lived up to the enormous hype around him when he arrived. He was forgiven a lot on here but didn't really deliver often enough or consistently enough.

He was correctly dropped for the better team player late in the season.
  • Options
    To be fair his last minute winner against Yeovil was one of my favourite moments of the season! Also for the record I think he'll prove alot of people wrong next year!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not being sarcastic Mike , its just a story i heard from someone , and he has struggled with it apparently , hopefully its not like the thing Andy Hunt had.
  • Options
    I think you wil find green was ILL during the season with suspected glandular fever that can take a lot out of you also had a dislocated shoulder wagstaff got his chance and the team was winning . He will come good never dropped as you suggest.
  • Options
    Mark my words people.
    'Green will be one of our best players this season coming'
  • Options
    Most assists in our team, seeing how he didn't play the first few games and lost a lot of game time towards the end of the season, this is a great achievement! seeing the great attacking season we have had, to have the most assists in the amount of time he's had. Pacey, good head, just wish he got back and covered more, but i hope he has a great season, as i really enjoy watching him play
  • Options
    Mark my words people.
    You can't say that already , granted i hope he improves on this season , but you don't know who we're going to sign yet?

• Options
    Yeah ok we may sign someone better, but I'm pretty sure the club aren't going to shell out roughly about 400k on a right winger to watch him sit on the bench. I expect him to start next season and take his chance.

You can see the kid has talent, an example... Can't remember who it was against but green had a shot from near the half way line and hit the post which then resulted in a goal. Who in our team would you see do that? He is miles ahead of wagstaff in terms of quality but lacks the work rate in my opinion.
  • Options
    Most assists in our team, seeing how he didn't play the first few games and lost a lot of game time towards the end of the season, this is a great achievement! seeing the great attacking season we have had, to have the most assists in the amount of time he's had. Pacey, good head, just wish he got back and covered more, but i hope he has a great season, as i really enjoy watching him play
    Are you sure about that, the figures lancashire lad issued shows BWP with 10 assists, and Wiggins with 9. Green had 7, making him equal with Hollands, and 1 ahead of Jackson. Most assists per minute played probably though!
  • Options
    Who in our team would you see do that?
    Kermorgant?
    He is miles ahead of wagstaff in terms of quality but lacks the work rate in my opinion.
    That really depends how you define quality. Waggy has scored his fair share of pingers and also plays a more sensible game. Green has a bit more raw talent perhaps but lacks understanding of how best to deploy it. There's no where near as much between them as some people make out as was demonstrated by the way our form hardly varied at all when they were switched in and out of the side.
  • Options
    Like many others, I found Green to be both frustrating and disappointing. I was never quite sure if he was just accustomed to playing and reading the game in a different way or that he just wasn't very good at reading the game full stop. Overall I'm not convinced that he can or will step up, but if, as said above, he had been suffering from a GF type virus, that would certainly have badly affected his energy levels. In Chrissy I trust.
  • Options
    This season he was good but disappointing with all the hype there was around him. I think that raised everyone expectations to high for Green to reach. Then he scored that screamer against Welling and We all thought he was going to be Beckham.

I'm going to be honest and say I don't think he'll cut it in the championship and neither will Waggy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    interesting debate, personally I prefer Green, both frustrate me at times but given the choice I'd pick Green as a starter.

I think he'll come good next season and will comfortably make the step up, actually I think most of our squad may well surprise a few next season as to how well they do.
  • Options
    From what I saw last season I don't think either Green of Waggy will be good enough next saeson if we want to challenge for promotion. Green can cross the ball better than Waggy but he lacks pace which will make it harder for him in the higher Division. Waggy has pace but can't cross and keeps his head down too much.
    Pace is the ingredient Chris has to bring in to the team, especially out wide--he has it at full back especially with Wiggins but that's it---midfield, out wide and up front we are too slow. I know most listers reckon Jackson but he's about as slow as you can get and again, at the higher level, I think he'll struggle.
  • Options
    He'll be the Beckham of the 2nd Division, certainly a step up from being the Beckham of the 3rd Division...
  • Options
    Never personally bought into all the hype when we signed him. Some people seem to get carried away with new signings before they've even put on a red shirt, building them up to such a level that when they do eventually play, it's always going to be an anti-climax in certain eyes. Personally I thought he done okay as a whole. Had some great games and some poor ones too.

Certainly won't be writing him (or waggy) off for the next campaign and think that he's still a working progress for Chrissy.......................
  • Options
    Green is a right midfielder/winger, whereas Waggy is much more of a general squad player who can play several roles fairly well - you could stick him up front as an emergency striker, you could probably play him as a right back or at least a wing back, as he gets up and down well and can defend.
  • Options
    The new signings didn't live up to the hype on the whole last season then?
  • Options
    Mark my words people.
    Without wishing to be flippant but I will be seriously concerned if this turns out to be true. I have seen little to suggest that DG will zoom from (nearly) zero to hero in one season.
  • Options
    Green will do in the Championship --just needs up it a little
  • Options
    You get a few wingers in the championship who don't have pace but can put a good cross in -
    Chris Brunt when he was WBA tore this league apart and Snodgrass at Leeds spring to mind as a similar type of player.
    You only have to look at Ian Harte for Reading this season to prove that having no pace but a good cross/shot and free-kick comes in handy!
  • Options
    Long term, unfortunately neither Green nor Wagstaff will be good enough for the Championship. We need a player on the right flank who is consistent and has a touch of class. Koren @ Hull is the man for us. He's no spring pheasant but has a few good years left. Affording his wages could be a problem though