Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sepp Blatter wants penalty shoot-out alternative

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18205513

Seems it was always fine when the Germans beat the English. Makes you wonder if this would have been open for discussion if Bayern had beat Chelsea..............................

Comments

• Blatter is such a twat.
  • There must surely be a better solution than a penalty shoot out. Perhaps playing extra time with less players?
  • Also I would actually prefer something other penalty's (only because England lose all the time).

So how about a crossbar challenge?
  • Mull-ty Ball Oooooovertime
  • no keepers in extra time...
  • The two captains strip naked and have a bare-knuckle fight in the centre circle.
    Winner takes all.
  • 8 a side in extra time then penalties
  • They tried various ways to reduce the chances of getting to a penalty shootout with golden goals etc but they all proved disastrous with both teams usually sitting back and defending , preferring to take their chances on a shootout rather than risk conceding a golden goal.
  • I reckon end the game and let both teams become a superteam for the next round....think thats fair!
  • Perhaps, as a German team lost on penalties to an English one, it is time to change the system. Maybe the team that speaks the best German overall should go through instead!
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18205513

Seems it was always fine when the Germans beat the English. Makes you wonder if this would have been open for discussion if Bayern had beat Chelsea..............................
    I thought exactly the same thing.The man couldnt run a bath.

• Also remember!!!!!! Penalty Shootouts don't count according to "THE SPECIAL ONE"
  • Perhaps, as a German team lost on penalties to an English one, it is time to change the system. Maybe the team that speaks the best German overall should go through instead!
    To be fair, against an all English team, the Germans would probably still win even if it was "Who speaks the best English".

• karaoke style sing off on the pitch, manager starts whilst players dance/clap and then the players sing with the tallest going first. round 2 will be a general knowledge quiz. if it is still a tie, then starting with the manager each team has to hold a microphone to its arse and come up with the best blow offs, loudness, quality and pitch all important. players will be disqualified if they follow through.
    To be fair, against an all English team, the Germans would probably still win even if it was "Who speaks the best English".

Very true- but German would be slightly safer.

• WSSWSS
    edited May 2012
    Blatter's not German though - why should he be bothered about who won the penalties?
  • Words cannot describe the level of utter contempt I feel for this man. He has absolutely zero credibility. How he kept his job after the racism scandal is beyond me, but it probably points to the fact that his cronies are as corrupt as he is. The sooner he resigns, the better. Although I doubt whether his successor will be any better.
  • I have long thought it is worth trying having the penalties BEFORE extra-time - then the game is decided in open play - if it's level on goals by the end then the shoot-out winners have won the game.
  • Blatter's not German though - why should he be bothered about who won the penalties?
    Little Englander syndrome.
  • Surely if its a tie it should go to public vote?
  • Sponsored links:

• Penalty shoot outs have been an absolutely fine way of deciding a winner. If this gets changed then god knows what will be next. Playing only 80 mins instead of 90.
  • I have long thought it is worth trying having the penalties BEFORE extra-time - then the game is decided in open play - if it's level on goals by the end then the shoot-out winners have won the game.
    My thoughts exactly.

Would you not have the problem of the winners of the penalties just sitting back for 30 mins?

Would you not have the problem of the winners of the penalties just sitting back for 30 mins?

If that happened, the other team would change their tactics accordingly.

Could end up as 16 players in the penalty box every time a cross comes in, but that could be exciting as well...
  • Paper, scissors, stone.
  • Might be a daft suggestion but I'll make it anyway... Allow 10 subs in finals and just keep playing (with fresher players) until someone scores
  • Game of giant buckaroo in the centre circle with a real horse.
  • a musical number (dancing and singing) from both sides. winner decided by the x factor judges.
  • To be honest, the penalties made a boring Champions League final, moderately exciting!
  • Last man standing .. a brawl between the 22 players on the pitch. The team with most men still conscious after 15 minutes wins. This will make (Dick) Barton J one of the world's most valuable players.