Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England V Norway

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully Hodsgon crashes and burns!
    Why?
    Don't like Hodsgon and don't like national team

I don't like you.
    The feelings mutual
  • Options
    I think Barry is a quality player for City. Don't see why he's so underrated. I agree that Downing and Henderson aren't good enough for England but what can we do about it? They're in the squad and it's time to start supporting them. We won last night but we are still not happy. There were a lot of positives to take from the game and then there were also thing Roy will be working on in training today. Get behind the team.
  • Options
    Why?

I don't like you.
    The feelings mutual
    Why's that then?
  • Options
    I am a country over club fan, I would rather have a successful England than a club, I just find watching England very very boring and have done for the last 4 years ,
    You know what mate, we don't agree on everything, but most of the time I wonder if we were separated at birth...
    Having met you both I can confirm that this did NOT happen : - )

Club first for me. Not too bothered about the England team. Like to see them win but not that upset if they don't.

For a warm up game with a second string side they did OK. Thought we were under a lot of pressure 2nd half but keeper wasn't very busy and we did what we had to do. I agree that many of the players on the pitch are nothing special at this level but that's what RH has to work with.

Said it before and I'll say it again. England need to think long term by which I mean to 2016 Euros and 2018 world cup. Forget the next two tournaments in terms of winning them or even getting to a semi-final. Build a young squad now and give them plenty of game time and tournament experience with the aim to be competitive in 2016.

It won't happen because, as we see above, one less than sparkling performance in a friendly and the knives are out. Hence we never build for the future and repeat the same failings again and again.

• Options
    Why?

I don't like you.
    The feelings mutual
    Why's that then?
    Just returning the comment
  • Options
    This was a decent performance by a one off England reserve side. This time Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill and the Count of Monte Cristo did NOT take one hell of a beating
  • Options
    Work in progress. Well done on the win. Some of you need to lighten up on the national front. It's quite depressing.
    Racist...................

;-)
  • Options
    Gareth Barry does a good job for City because he is surrounded by world class players. In the national side he is expected to do more than just make a tackle here and there and pass sideways. Exposes him as looking a very limited player in my opinion. No pace, no real grit, not great technically but his injury could be a massive upset for England?

Thought Jagielka looked, as the commentators said, very professional. How he is not in the squad I have no idea. Always liked him as a player.

As someone has said before Roy makes his teams hard to beat before being attractive. Standing upto alot of pressure in the second half is surely a positive to take away?

• Options
    Well one thing can be said about the England team is you can't please everyone all the time. 3rd 1-0 win out of 4. England could be the old Arsenal of Europe! Talking of Arsenal, Oxlade Chamberlain had a great chance to make it 2 and over complicated things by squaring it back to his team mate who was not expecting the ball back. I hope in the big games they don't try and walk the ball in and just take their chances.
  • Options
    Walcott was the one who failed to pass it back to the Ox, Ox played a great ball down to him at first, then, typical Walcott.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why?

I don't like you.
    The feelings mutual
    Why's that then?
    Just returning the comment
    But I can't warm to Englishmen who don't support the England team, or don't like someone they have never met. Now you are going to tell me you are a Scot and that Roy ran over your dog, just to make me feel REALLY bad... :-)

• Options
    Hodgsons okay. Boring but reliable.

Bored of seeing Barry in an England shirt, he is rubbish.
    Young is great player for the national side, Ox will be as well.
  • Options
    Well one thing can be said about the England team is you can't please everyone all the time. 3rd 1-0 win out of 4. England could be the old Arsenal of Europe! Talking of Arsenal, Oxlade Chamberlain had a great chance to make it 2 and over complicated things by squaring it back to his team mate who was not expecting the ball back. I hope in the big games they don't try and walk the ball in and just take their chances.
    What chances? There is no hope in hell of us getting close enough to try and walk the ball in!

Downing, Carroll, Henderson, Jones as a right back or defensive midfielder, Barry, Glen Johnson and Green would be nowhere near my England squad.

Bent, Wilshere, Micah Richards, Adam Johnson, Sturridge, Foster and Lallana can come along instead (if they were all fit)
  • Options
    Im adamant Wilshere wont be the player he could have been, spends to much time out injured. Would like to be proven wrong..
    Jones is decent, rest of those I agree.

Not sure about Sturrige. Bring in Lallana and Jack Cork.

And Smithies for pen shootouts
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    What chances? There is no hope in hell of us getting close enough to try and walk the ball in!

Downing, Carroll, Henderson, Jones as a right back or defensive midfielder, Barry, Glen Johnson and Green would be nowhere near my England squad.

Bent, Wilshere, Micah Richards, Adam Johnson, Sturridge, Foster and Lallana can come along instead (if they were all fit)
    A number of problems with this. Firstly Henderson is on the reserve list so thankfully unless there are injuries he won't even be on the bench, and anyway other than him who else was there to pick? Carrick's terrible attitude of "if I'm not going to start I don't want to be selected", in my opinion then good don't select him. Possibly at a push Leon Britton could have been reserve but even he would be a gamble.

As for Green well not too bothered as Hart will start ahead of him so no problems there. If Bent and Wilshere I'm sure they would have been selected. Micah Richards is the one everyone seems to be getting upset with but here is a player who Mancini himself has said he can't play to instructions and was even dropped in the run in to be replaced by Zabaleta. And Adam Johnson, for me there is some talent there but he is lazy and needs to use his right foot for more than standing on.
  • Options
    I'm deffo a Charlton over England man but I would put that down to complete unadulterated irritational love and passion for the Addicks than a lack of love for England.
    I sooooo want us to do well in the Euros but being a pessimist anything will be a bonus

And England usually have good travelling numbers :-)
  • Options
    Agree about Richards. Doesn't strike me as a team player.

Yes very strong, athletic etc but some of his hot headed play can play his own team into trouble. Was given his England debut years ago and not gone on too far since.

I think it's good that Jones gets game time, even at right back. He is solid and with some of the pacey wingers England have Walcott, Chamberlain, he offers that extra cover for them to stride forward. Although I think most would hope to see a Cahill and Jones centre back pairing for years.
  • Options
    I'm charlton over anything... And have just fallen out of love with the England team over the years... Id walk across glass to watch half an hour of live charlton whereas I couldnt really care about England...

It didn't used to be this way, I LOVED England in the days of lineker and Peter Reid and Gascogne and waddle and hoddle .... And even Owen and Beecham and scholes and even when rooney came through .... But now I just seem to hate almost the whole squad... Not that I want them to do bad but I just can't associate myself with them... The Likes of Ashley cole and John terry man John terry ... That bloke .... Far out ...
  • Options
    I think people watch an England game to expect a spectacle, I'm not entirely sure why though. Its a football game like any other, and if the team do care about the country then they'd be happy with a dragged out win. We've had plenty of scrappy wins this season and plenty of people have been positive about that when it happened. But somehow England is different? Its still football, and there's still a variety of ways to win, even if some are much more entertaining than the others.

For me, not a great squad. Henderson, Downing shouldn't be in the team. A. Johnson, M Richards, Holt (over Welbeck, worst goal/shot ratio in the premiership this year i believe) should be in the team.
  • Options
    Was asked a while whether I'd prefer to see Charlton promoted or England win the Euro's, Charlton all the way.

Barry getting injured is a blessing imho, not good enough for international football and despite having a good season with City, can see Mancini trying to replace him this summer.

We have a couple of world class players (Rooney and Hart), Ashley Cole is one of the best LBs around whilst the Ox, Wilshire and Jones could be in a few years so it is not all bad news.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think people watch an England game to expect a spectacle, I'm not entirely sure why though. Its a football game like any other...
    I think because when the National side can pick the best players in the country, you'd expect to see the best quality football. Sadly though, this notion is wrong because it doesn't take two key factors into account. Firstly the general high quality of foreign players in domestic leagues, secondly the fact that club sides train and practice together all year round whereas national sides only get a few days or weeks at most. The result is that national teams, and certainly England, are almost never as good as the best club sides and people who expect a spectacle are nearly always disappointed.
  • Options
    I'm charlton over anything... And have just fallen out of love with the England team over the years... Id walk across glass to watch half an hour of live charlton whereas I couldnt really care about England...

It didn't used to be this way, I LOVED England in the days of lineker and Peter Reid and Gascogne and waddle and hoddle .... And even Owen and Beecham and scholes and even when rooney came through .... But now I just seem to hate almost the whole squad... Not that I want them to do bad but I just can't associate myself with them... The Likes of Ashley cole and John terry man John terry ... That bloke .... Far out ...
    Pretty much sums up how I feel 100%. Will watch them and cheer them on but won't lose any sleep when they're eliminated early on......................
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Wrote a post match reaction piece to this: http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/england-vs-norway-the-counter-attack-is-key/

Let me know what you think.

Seems to be a lot of negativity here regarding England. Personally I can't ever not get excited about England when a tournament comes along, regardless of who's playing for them.More so this year as we have a likeable English manager at the helm.

Also alot of people talking about who they would have taken and nearly every player they mention is an attacking one. Well I'm sorry but you can't just have a 23 man squad of players like adam lallana and adam johnson. balance to a team is pretty important you know.... as is defenisive discipline when you have poor quality. Adam Johnson would get nowhere near Germany/Holland/Spain/France's team and he can't even get near City's team at the minute. Downing is clearly not world class either, but at least he offers a solidity and discipline Johnson doesn't.

Anyway any feedback on the piece would be much appreciated. Also a few Charlton articles I've written on there.

• Options

Yep the way I feel too. Maybe in a few years when Terry,Cole etc have retired it will become easier to like the team again. Although I don't have any love for Ferdinand either I'd rather it had been him chosen over Terry.
  • Options
    Who cares if our players are thought of being suddenly 'average'.

What have we won in the last 56 years anyway? Could it be worse?
    We did win the World Cup 46 years ago, if that counts...

• Options
    I am a country over club fan, I would rather have a successful England than a club,
    So out of interest if we were 9 months back and you were given two possibilities:-

England win Euro's Charlton stay in Div 1

or

England fail to get out of their Euro Group but Charlton promoted (101 points)

which would you choose? Don't have a problem with either answer although i would go wityh the latter.
  • Options
    Charlton promoted ... EVERY SNGLE TIME ... I'd exchange a charlton promotion for a world cup win with this crop of players...

I loved 86( even though it ended so badly was still my favourite world cup I was 8) , 90, 94, 98... But since then it's just turned to dust for me really... the most recent world cup meant nothing to me .... I was questioning why I was staying up in the middle of the night ( I'm in oz)

To pick downing after not doing anything but hit the wood work all season just because he plays for the scouters... Bad choices... Andy Carroll please he is rubbish... I don't have any better ideas I just basically no longer feel a decent connection with these people... I sincerely hope that my feelings will change in the future...
  • Options
    England yesterday weren't the most inspiring team on the planet, but with a patched up team they at least got the result.

Remember, the most talented 11 players in the world most likely wouldn't make the best team.

Chris Powell was successful this season because his players had a clear idea of what was required of them to get results consistantly.

What Hodgson has done is put a system in place and into practice.
    His players responded and his team got the win.

Apart from destroying each and every team with Brazillian style exhibition football (which England clearly don't have the players to do) ......what else can people expect?

• Options
    France losing 2-0 to Iceland at home. Perspective.
  • Options
    I am a country over club fan, I would rather have a successful England than a club,
    So out of interest if we were 9 months back and you were given two possibilities:-

England win Euro's Charlton stay in Div 1

or

England fail to get out of their Euro Group but Charlton promoted (101 points)

which would you choose? Don't have a problem with either answer although i would go wityh the latter.
    England. Broader picture, old fashioned idea I know, but that's me...