Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England V Norway

Comments

• 3-2 France now, we'd never do that. :-)
  • England to win ,

My reason being as follows ,

the feel of this country and our ex pats all over the world when England play is one that unites the whole country and every other one where our great country men and women have planted their own little st georges cross

when charlton play it unites 20-30k

Charlton play season in season out

in my life time if i get to see 20 worldcups and 20 euro's i will have made it to 80 ish,

the ability to achieve a world cup or Euro when your only going to see proberly 15 if you are lucky (the first 10 years of your 3 score and 10 life you will be more interested in a kick about with your pals really if it came doewn to watching the box or going out)

you could see 15 seasons at charlton using the same equasion and still be under 30

Winning a world cup or a Euro is a once in a lifetime opportunity IMO and therefore would make it more special than anything

I was English by Birth and the grace of god and had no choice in the matter therefore i am extreemly patriotic about this great nation from the red bus and phone box to the national team

I am Charlton because i chose to be and i always will be and i love being an addick

• and now i have just realised that at the next world cup i am half way through my England jorney and i doubt that i will have seen them win a major honour

I dont want it to happen when i am pishing my pants due to not having control down there, i want them to win something so i can be so drunk and celebrate properly that i pish my pants because i am so fukd that i cant stop it

COME ON ENGLAND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WIN A TOURNAMENT BEFORE I GET TOO OLD
  • and somehow wake up in perry's bar without telling the wife and family that i am going now that would be a celebration night to remember
  • Tedious and one dimensional but absolutely 100% what I expected. I won't bother to watch the Euro's it will end in another disappointment I am afraid. How Stuart Downing , Jordan Hendersen et al get anywhere near an England squad is really beyond me.
  • edited May 2012
    Closing paragraph taken from 'Broken Dreams' in the updated version of the book written by Tom Bowyer.

'Remarkably, nothing changes. Unwilling to respect any leadership, the game's fate relies on fragmented, tribal and narrowly focused men of sometimes limited ability. Silenced by the barons, the British fans have meekly accepted the propaganda that the Premier League is the world's best which, while true, also explains the poor performance of England's team. The increasing reliance on foreign owners will erode the national team's prospects and simultaneously eat into the health of the English clubs.......................................... football could be a victim of its own success unless credible and trusted leaders emerge to protect its basic values.'
  • I'm England before Charlton. Though for the first time ever the upcoming football season excites me more than any major football tournament has. Maybe the love of yesteryear for Gazza, Hoddle, Waddle, Sansom, Butcher, Shilton, Robson, Lineker will never be replaced by the likes of Terry, Lump-a-lard (who actually always gives his all), Cashley, Downing, Henderson, Rooney (remember his vitriol to camera from the last World Cup?!).

What's more realistic - Charlton winning the FA Cup or England winning the Euros or World Cup in my lifetime?...

I doubt I'll see either before I die and I'm only bloody 36!
  • edited May 2012
    I'm England before Charlton. Though for the first time ever the upcoming football season excites me more than any major football tournament has. Maybe the love of yesteryear for Gazza, Hoddle, Waddle, Sansom, Butcher, Shilton, Robson, Lineker will never be replaced by the likes of Terry, Lump-a-lard (who actually always gives his all), Cashley, Downing, Henderson, Rooney (remember his vitriol to camera from the last World Cup?!).

What's more realistic - Charlton winning the FA Cup or England winning the Euros or World Cup in my lifetime?...

I doubt I'll see either before I die and I'm only bloody 36!
    Do not fear SCP will win the F.A cup for Charlton before departing at the old age of 73 for his 2nd managerial job and will win the World cup for England.
  • This was a decent performance by a one off England reserve side. This time Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill and the Count of Monte Cristo did NOT take one hell of a beating
    Not really relevant, but is that what the bloke actually said, because the Count Of Monte Cristo was French.
  • This was a decent performance by a one off England reserve side. This time Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill and the Count of Monte Cristo did NOT take one hell of a beating
    Not really relevant, but is that what the bloke actually said, because the Count Of Monte Cristo was French.
    I know, I was using poetic licence
  • Sponsored links:

• I won't bother to watch the Euros, it will end in another disappointment I am afraid.
    So you only returned to The Valley for the first time in seven years this season then Dave?

• It seemed to me the longer it went on the less creative we became.
    I appreciate we were without Rooney, but if we are that dependent on Terry and Lampard then we will have some real issues ahead.
    Surprissed to see Chamberlain given a runout, great prospect but surely he has to get some experience in the U21s.....
    Not convinced about Henderson, or some of the other players who according to the commentators have played only a few minutes for there clubs.
  • It seemed to me the longer it went on the less creative we became.
    I appreciate we were without Rooney, but if we are that dependent on Terry and Lampard then we will have some real issues ahead.
    Surprissed to see Chamberlain given a runout, great prospect but surely he has to get some experience in the U21s.....
    Not convinced about Henderson, or some of the other players who according to the commentators have played only a few minutes for there clubs, in the last few months......
  • Get your drift AA but I get sick of the hype around the England team and the inability to call it a day when a player is past it. Agree the last few years at The Valley have not been great but somehow I am able to overlook it just can't get the same enthusiasm for this England team. For me it all started with the so called "Golden generation" who achieved very little apart from a demolition of Germany.
  • edited May 2012
    Dont get the whole 'surely he must get u21 experience first'

Everyone is different, and The Ox is the sort of character who can handle coming straight into the England set-up. Especially how his seasons gone at Arsenal. Its not like he is out of his depth at all. Hard to make a case for him not to start, ability-wise.
  • Dont get the whole 'surely he must get u21 experience first'

Everyone is different, and The Ox is the sort of character who can handle coming straight into the England set-up. Especially how his seasons gone at Arsenal. Its not like he is out of his depth at all. Hard to make a case for him not to start, ability-wise.
    I agree.

There is something special about the guy like there was about Rooney, Owen. Why should he be held back if has shown he can perform on the bigger domestic stage?

• edited May 2012
    Dont get the whole 'surely he must get u21 experience first'

I agree.

There is something special about the guy like there was about Rooney, Owen. Why should he be held back if has shown he can perform on the bigger domestic stage?

Sorry disagree, it is about development, with younger players that have hardly played in the prem......., he only played in his first international in september 2011, and only started his first prem match for the arsenal on Jan 2012. Do not get me wrong, the player seems to be an exceptional player, but a few months prem experience seems to rushing things, at least for full International duty, for this tournament. Remember the Walcot world cup call up as a example of rushing things.
  • Walcott is a completely different character and his footballing ability is below par anyway. He only got noticed so much because of his pace, which, and the top is not enough on its own. Ox has ability with the ball.

Different people need different levels of and different amounts of development. Some develop alot quicker, and I would say the Ox fits that.

Im all for giving the people that need it the thorough process but not everyone really needs so much.
  • Barry ruled out, very happy, don't rate him.
  • Replaced by Jagielka.
    We could be in real bother if Parker's heel flares up again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Happy Jags is in the squad but where will he play? Would be worried if he is back up for Parker
  • Get your drift AA but I get sick of the hype around the England team and the inability to call it a day when a player is past it. Agree the last few years at The Valley have not been great but somehow I am able to overlook it just can't get the same enthusiasm for this England team. For me it all started with the so called "Golden generation" who achieved very little apart from a demolition of Germany.
    Fair enough Dave, thick or thin ( well thin or thinner ) for me... :-(

• If Carrick hadn't of thrown his toys out of the pram he'd be playing now.
  • If Carrick hadn't of thrown his toys out of the pram he'd be playing now.
    I don't think he would be picked ahead of Parker or Gerrard anyway but then that assumes the formation will be the same as against Norway.
  • I guess we also have Jones as CM cover.
    I'm not that convinced by him really though.
  • Parker>Barry anyway

Gerrard can always fall back if parker is out of it, and the Ox could go in front of him in a diamond
  • Parker>Barry anyway

Gerrard can always fall back if parker is out of it, and the Ox could go in front of him in a diamond
    So what you are suggesting then is Gerrard and Lampard in the middle?
  • Joe Hart and Ashley Cole are the only world class players England have.
    Bit generous to Joe Hart there
    Well there's Wayne Rooney, but...
    Rooney is good but not world class mate
  • Joe Hart and Ashley Cole are the only world class players England have.
    Bit generous to Joe Hart there
    Well there's Wayne Rooney, but...
    Rooney is good but not world class mate
    Definitely world class