Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brighton

edited June 2012 in General Charlton
Just seen on Brighton's site that they have the 10th biggest no. of season ticket holders in the country at present.

It's amazing how they were getting 4,000 at the Withdean, yet a couple of years later there are barely any match-by-match seats available at their new 22,374 stadium. They've sold a further 3,000 season tickets this summer with 1,000 remaining. So even with capacity being increased to 27,250 by the start of the new season, there will only be a very small number of tickets for matches on general sale.

It's a shame no extra seats will be in the away end. Depending on television and whether it's midweek or weekend, I reckon that for our first visit there you could easily sell 8,000 tickets for CAFC supporters if they had the capacity.

Comments

• Options
    Not 100% sure but I think they have to play all London based teams midweek? Could be wrong
  • Options
    I would have said closer to 12,000
  • Options
    Huge catchment area, they are a club on the up that's for sure.
  • Options
    They'll be in the premiership within the decade.
  • Options
    The reason they were only getting 4,000 at the withdene is because that is all it held (althought I thought it was 6k). The club always knew the fans would return in numbers when they got a bigger stadium.

• Options
    I live down this area of the world and there's a lot of people i know who are Brighton season ticket holders but wouldn't class themselves as Brighton fans. Fair play to them they are getting the cash from them still. Doing really well atmo but will be interesting to see what the attendance is like if they go on a downwards slump.
  • Options
    They'll be in the premiership within the decade.
    Sensationalism
  • Options
    I live down this area of the world and there's a lot of people i know who are Brighton season ticket holders but wouldn't class themselves as Brighton fans. Fair play to them they are getting the cash from them still. Doing really well atmo but will be interesting to see what the attendance is like if they go on a downwards slump.
    This is spot on. It reminds me of us in the Premiership - lots of people who are going for the novelty. I know 2 season ticket holders, one supports Everton and the other Arsenal. As you say, it will be interesting to see the attendance levels if they go through a slump.
  • Options
    I do recall as I am sure many others do the fantastic support they bought down to The Valley the last two seasons they were in League 1. I think they are a club on the up but a lot depends on whether they can keep Poyet I would say.
  • Options
    8-12k cafc fans lol, not sure about that. maybe if it was a chance to win promotion on a Saturday that was sunny and as long as the club paid for the travel or the match tickets were reduced then maybe there's a chance we could sell that many.

Fair play to Brighton though, they are moving in the right direction
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I assume they will hand the entire 27,250 when Sheff Wed visit, and have big screens outside for the other 60,000 locked out!
  • Options
    Brighton, like us, lost a whole generation of fans due to being exiled. And lost some more due to be hopeless on the pitch too. With their swish new ground and success on the pitch they'll no doubt have many 'casual' season ticket holders, but it's likely that many of their children will grow up as die hards and grow the hardcore fanbase. A similar story apllies to us.
  • Options
    You might be right. Certainly if it was a Saturday and in Autumn or Spring, and being our first visit
  • Options
    The reason they were only getting 4,000 at the withdene is because that is all it held (althought I thought it was 6k). The club always knew the fans would return in numbers when they got a bigger stadium.

I think in Spring 2008 and Spring 2009 they were getting some very poor crowds around the 4,000 mark when struggling towards the bottom of League One under Dean Wilkins. I used to pop down there sometimes when we were away, so I have a customer number but can rarely get a ticket in the new stadium
  • Options
    Mispost. Surely fun, jokes and captions ?
  • Options
    I was thinking on a good Saturday 3000-5000.
    New stadium so close to home and all that.
  • Options
    I go to Sussex Uni and the stadium is literally next to campus, think a lot of the new fans are students. Can't hurt either that the stadium is fantastically modern and I'm told by my mate that works there they won Best Pie in the catering awards , I questioned that that had to go to Wigan or someone but he stands by it !
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I'm told by my mate that works there they won Best Pie in the catering awards , I questioned that that had to go to Wigan or someone but he stands by it !
    its all that poof pastry they use.

sorry. ; )
  • Options
    I go to Sussex Uni and the stadium is literally next to campus, think a lot of the new fans are students. Can't hurt either that the stadium is fantastically modern and I'm told by my mate that works there they won Best Pie in the catering awards , I questioned that that had to go to Wigan or someone but he stands by it !
    At nearly £500 a season ticket I'd be appalled if it were students...must all be Swanborough!

Its just the huge catchment area...and the Withdean % attendance was not reflective due to their dire viewing position, lack of atmosphere and lack of on field quality. Brighton fans I knew avoided it like the plague...which is why they always took good numbers away.
  • Options
    Love brighton as a town/city and my neighbour used to play for Brighton so I used to get free tickets to go see them. Definitley dont begrudge any success to them at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brighton used to get good crowds at the Goldstone Ground so I'm not surprised they're getting good crowds at the Amex.
  • Options
    You see loads of Brighton shirts in Eastbourne so it shows what a catchment they have
  • Options
    Brighton will come good.
  • Options
    Their success annoys Palace fans so all good. The weak attempts by the Glaziers to deny that the Seaguls are getting much bigger crowds in a far more modern staduim are fun to read.
  • Options
    Ah but the Seagulls do NOT have the best academy in South Norwood !
  • Options
    You might be right. Certainly if it was a Saturday and in Autumn or Spring, and being our first visit
    If was autumn or spring I'd be thinking 15,000 lots of day trippers hangers on if you get where im coming from
  • Options
    Who are the 9 clubs with more season ticket holders than them? My guess would be: Man Utd, Man City, Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, Norwich and then I'm struggling with the last one. Maybe Derby? I don't think Everton, Sunderland or Aston Villa sell quite as many season tickets as you might think. Perhaps West Ham?
  • Options
    Brighton used to get good crowds at the Goldstone Ground so I'm not surprised they're getting good crowds at the Amex.
    Very true....30,000+ when they hammered us 7-0....1983.
  • Options
    Ronnie Moore's first game for us IIRC. I paid more towards us buying Moore than my ticket price that day.
  • Options
    I heard from a Brighton fan that they do a guest ale each home game based on the location of the team that's playing them. Nice touch.