Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brighton

Comments

• Options
    I guess it may well be too good to be true
  • Options
    They seem to have all their London games scheduled for Saturdays, so there's unlikely to be a generic rule about not playing London teams unless it's a Tuesday or they'd have incorporated that into the list.
  • Options
    every home game they had vs london teams and Watford were evening kick offs last season.

This season they have us at 7.45 on a monday, millwall on a weeknight and palace which will be moved from the sat.
  • Options
    The Monday is a Bank Holiday so it would have been 3pm. But it seems it will move to the Tuesday.
  • Options
    TLOTLO
    edited June 2012
    Hi. Brighton fan here.

For a start, a belated congratulations on winning the Third Division last season.

Sorry to mention this but... my most recent visit to Charlton was one of my best football days out. Notwithstanding our 4-0 win (it was one of our best performances of the season too - we just picked that day to be rather good), we piled back to London Bridge, drank beer with some Millwall fans who had just beaten Palace 1-0. A double-whammy of joy; a great day for us.

So... what to expect at the Amex?

The 'away' concourse is lit in the colours of the visiting team, with imagery of (in your case) Charlton heroes of yesteryear. The pies are truly outstanding - all handmade, and around 9,500 were sold each match - they won four Golds at this year's British Pie Awards (though not quite winning the coveted 'Best in Category' prize). Still, not bad for someone who only set-up their business 14 months ago.

The bars around the stadium do indeed have real ale from the area of the visiting team. Let us know your preferred tipple (you'll only get the choice of one) and the club will see what it can do. We sell an AVERAGE of 16,500 pints per match (not bad for 20,000 crowds) - around 40% of which is Harvey's Best.

The seats, should you wish to sit, are of the same spec as the VIP seats at the Olympic stadium.

You'll be invited - nay, encouraged - to stick around afterwards to drink beer on the concourses, either in your 'away' section, or you'll be welcome to join the home fans in the concourses. You can view the various pieces of artwork across the stadium.

Getting there is easy - JUST DON'T BOTHER DRIVING. You won't be able to park nearby. Come via train - then it's a seven-minute hop from Brighton to Falmer. Or you can come from Lewes to Falmer. Either way, beer is involved. (Did I mention that already?)

Sorry to go on, but I hope you can appreciate we're quite proud of our stadium. We fought long and hard for it, and it makes us smile. Of all people, I hope you chaps and chapesses can acknowledge that.

In short, Brighton v Charlton will be a blast.
  • Options
    cheers for the post. Really looking forward to Brighton away whatever day it is.
  • Options
    BTW TLO, you go on about the pies, but is there a vegetarian one that isn't poxy cheese and onion?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Do Brighton really do that for away fans ? Sounds like the Disneyland of football ! Can't wait. Here's hoping we get them in both cup competitions too !

If we can choose a local beer, can it be Meantime ?
  • Options
    Its a few miles along the A27, hardly out in the sticks. Seeing the huge amount of our fans that come in from North Kent etc. it's on the doorstep ofBrighton fans.
    As i now live in West Susex i can also recomend the Harveys, brewed in Lewes.
  • Options
    Appreciate your post, can see a fair few of us wanting to go the Amex this year, looking forward to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That five year ST will come in handy when the rush starts for these tickets.
  • Options
    May be worth booking Wednesday off of work, could be the best away of the season excluding the derbies.
  • Options
    BTW TLO, you go on about the pies, but is there a vegetarian one that isn't poxy cheese and onion?
    There is. It's a spicy butternut squash and coriander pie.

Jo from Piglet's Pantry (she makes the pies) intends to have a range of core pie flavours, with guest pies each match.

So far we've had...
    Steak & Ale
    Chicken, leek & ham
    The aforementioned butternut squash and coriander
    Chicken balti
    Chicken, chorizo & garlic potato

She's looking at doing three flavours of handmade pizza calzone for next season

In fact, what you won't get is a cheese and onion pie.

£3.50 a pie / £3.60 a pint or £6.50 for both. Sounds steep, but definitely worth it.
  • Options
    Do Brighton really do that for away fans ? Sounds like the Disneyland of football ! Can't wait. Here's hoping we get them in both cup competitions too !

Yes, yes we do. :)

I drink Meantime Helles in the Evening Star near Brighton Station. It would be great to have that on tap...
  • Options

I drink Meantime Helles in the Evening Star near Brighton Station. It would be great to have that on tap...
    If you like Meantime you'll have to stop in the Old Brewery in Greenwich when you're up for the Charlton game, top stuff.
  • Options

If you like Meantime you'll have to stop in the Old Brewery in Greenwich when you're up for the Charlton game, top stuff.
    Oh... alright.
  • Options
    BTW - notwithstanding I've no idea who the bloke in the foreground is - here's how close the ground is to Falmer Station

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/6425653
  • Options
    great for the trainspotters amongst us.
  • Options
    BTW - notwithstanding I've no idea who the bloke in the foreground is - here's how close the ground is to Falmer Station

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/6425653
    Should do a would ya with that fella!
  • Options
    That'll be me then! Hello everyone!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hi. Brighton fan here.

For a start, a belated congratulations on winning the Third Division last season.

Sorry to mention this but... my most recent visit to Charlton was one of my best football days out. Notwithstanding our 4-0 win (it was one of our best performances of the season too - we just picked that day to be rather good), we piled back to London Bridge, drank beer with some Millwall fans who had just beaten Palace 1-0. A double-whammy of joy; a great day for us.

So... what to expect at the Amex?

The 'away' concourse is lit in the colours of the visiting team, with imagery of (in your case) Charlton heroes of yesteryear. The pies are truly outstanding - all handmade, and around 9,500 were sold each match - they won four Golds at this year's British Pie Awards (though not quite winning the coveted 'Best in Category' prize). Still, not bad for someone who only set-up their business 14 months ago.

The bars around the stadium do indeed have real ale from the area of the visiting team. Let us know your preferred tipple (you'll only get the choice of one) and the club will see what it can do. We sell an AVERAGE of 16,500 pints per match (not bad for 20,000 crowds) - around 40% of which is Harvey's Best.

The seats, should you wish to sit, are of the same spec as the VIP seats at the Olympic stadium.

You'll be invited - nay, encouraged - to stick around afterwards to drink beer on the concourses, either in your 'away' section, or you'll be welcome to join the home fans in the concourses. You can view the various pieces of artwork across the stadium.

Getting there is easy - JUST DON'T BOTHER DRIVING. You won't be able to park nearby. Come via train - then it's a seven-minute hop from Brighton to Falmer. Or you can come from Lewes to Falmer. Either way, beer is involved. (Did I mention that already?)

Sorry to go on, but I hope you can appreciate we're quite proud of our stadium. We fought long and hard for it, and it makes us smile. Of all people, I hope you chaps and chapesses can acknowledge that.

In short, Brighton v Charlton will be a blast.
    Am I right in saying only the 'slow' trains stop at Falmer....these tend to be only 4 coaches? Also I was in Brighton when they played Pompey last season and most pubs in town were home fans only.
  • Options
    Am I right in saying only the 'slow' trains stop at Falmer....these tend to be only 4 coaches?
    Not for match day.

They put on extra trains - which is actually a shuttle service going direct from Brighton to Falmer, missing out London Road and Moulsecoomb - and extra carriages on match day. Also, the club is paying for an upgrade of Falmer Station during the summer. If you're coming in from Hastings, it's only the Ashford train which doesn't stop at Falmer.
    Also I was in Brighton when they played Pompey last season and most pubs in town were home fans only.
    That's Pompey for you; pure dirt from head to toe. Charlton won't be an issue.
  • Options
    Do Brighton offer that level of service to all fans? I can't imagine many Palace fans being 'welcome to join the home fans in the concourses'.
  • Options
    Sounds like the AMEX takes the tribalism & rivalry right out of football, which is great for many modern fans nowadays.
  • Options
    TLOTLO
    edited June 2012
    Do Brighton offer that level of service to all fans? I can't imagine many Palace fans being 'welcome to join the home fans in the concourses'.
    They do, believe it or not.

It's just Palace and Pompey who didn't really take us up on it, which is just as well. It would have taken WEEKS to get rid of the smell.

The best after-match love-ins, for me, were in the league - Peterborough, Blackpool and Ipswich. But they got knocked into a cocked hat by Wrexham in the cup. It helped that we were there supporting their Fans United cause a few years ago, but Jeez, do that lot know how to party...
  • Options
    Sounds like the AMEX takes the tribalism & rivalry right out of football, which is great for many modern fans nowadays.
    Not during the match itself - we're still asked about our boyfriends and our private intimate pleasures by a few meatheads - but certainly before and after.

It's a simple ethos - treat fans like humans and they will behave like humans. It has slightly backfired once or twice, though it's still a basic lesson some football clubs I can think of have yet to learn.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I can't see us sticking around afterwards, if it's an evening game.

• Options
    Am I right in saying only the 'slow' trains stop at Falmer....these tend to be only 4 coaches?
    Not for match day.

They put on extra trains - which is actually a shuttle service going direct from Brighton to Falmer, missing out London Road and Moulsecoomb - and extra carriages on match day. Also, the club is paying for an upgrade of Falmer Station during the summer. If you're coming in from Hastings, it's only the Ashford train which doesn't stop at Falmer.
    Also I was in Brighton when they played Pompey last season and most pubs in town were home fans only.
    That's Pompey for you; pure dirt from head to toe. Charlton won't be an issue.
    Best change at Lewes....worth stopping off there for a beer anyway.
  • Options
    Brighton used to get good crowds at the Goldstone Ground so I'm not surprised they're getting good crowds at the Amex.
    Very true....30,000+ when they hammered us 7-0....1983.
    Er, I don't think so - 11,531 and a couple of thousand of those were us....
  • Options
    Lewes is a very nice place to visit