Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lung cancer spread to brain - any knowledge / experience?

Comments

• Options
    So sorry Damo.
  • Options
    I have been bowled over by the messages of support I have received from Lifers not just at the time this thread went live but also over the last couple of months. So I am heartbroken to have to tell you that Mum died on Wednesday morning in Bostall Heath hospice. Just two months from diagnosis to losing her - and I now know first hand w advhat an awful thing cancer is.

Once again, Thank You Thank You Thank you everyone who gave advice or simply left a message as it helped greatly.
  • Options
    sorry to hear this,and my thoughts are with you damo
  • Options
    RIP mate, I lost my mum a month ago in different circumstances.

It's a tough time but people are there for you. Give me a shout if you want a chat.
  • Options
    Really sorry for your loss Damo and my thoughts and condolences are with you and your family right now.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear your news Damo & WSS. Thoughts are with you both.
  • Options
    so sorry to hear that damo mate thoughts are with you and your family. stay strong
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss Damo and yours WSS. My thoughts are with you both.
  • Options
    Damo & WSS i'm sad to hear of your losses , my dad passed away earlier this year , and a day doesn't go by when i don't think about him , if you want to talk pm me , if you fancy a pint let me know.
  • Options
    RIP and our sympathies to all the family.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    God Bless your Mum, my sympathy to you, your Dad and family.
    My Dad passed away two and a half years ago and the palliative care team at Bostall Heath were fantastic along with the Macmillan team at the QE.
    They don't ease the pain but their support and help is immense.
  • Options
    That's such sad news.

My thoughts are with you Damo.
  • Options
    Its a shit illness and a horrible time for u and your family didnt get long after my dad was diagnosed understand your grief

Good luck pal
  • Options
    In October 2004 my wife's eleven year old sister died from a brain tumor. Fast forward to June 2009 and her 19 year old brother was killed in a car accident.

The first one was horrendous, the second changed my wife permanently. I say permanently as it has now been three years and she is still miserable most of the time. I'm not saying this as a criticism, but I can't find a better word to describe it. She is probably depressed, but she refuses to seek any professional help, despite the fact that I've asked her to and offered to pay for it. She says that they can't bring her brother and sister back so what's the point.

I live in hope that she will either get over it or agree to have professnal help, but it's almost as though something in her has died. She even struggles to show much love and affection to our son, who is eight. I don't think he is aware as he was very young when she changed and I am a little obsessed with him so he doesn't go short of affection or attention.

In fairness, her family seem to have bigger issues, which is totally to be expected, but it is so painful to watch someone you love struggle with this type of emotional upset, especially when there seems to be nothing I can do to help her with it.

Don't know why I decided to share that, it just seemed the right thing to do after reading some of the posts above.
  • Options
    Good luck KHA

Must be very difficult
  • Options

Sorry to read this Damo & WSS.

Best wishes.

KHA - have you offered to go with your wife for help (you probably have, but if you haven't, this may make her more likely to go)
    - perhaps try to encourage her, by agreeing counselling probably won't work but asking her to go as a favour to you
    - consider getting help for yourself, so you can guide her, if she refuses point blank to see an expert
  • Options

Sorry to read this Damo & WSS.

Best wishes.

KHA - have you offered to go with your wife for help (you probably have, but if you haven't, this may make her more likely to go)
    - perhaps try to encourage her, by agreeing counselling probably won't work but asking her to go as a favour to you
    - consider getting help for yourself, so you can guide her, if she refuses point blank to see an expert

I've tried the first two, but it never occurred to me to do the third. I'll look into that, thanks.
  • Options
    My sincere condolences WSS & Damo.....nothing i can add to what has already been said.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    So sorry to hear of your loss. Been through the same thing with my mother. God bless.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear the sad news Damo, my condolences to your family and yourself. WSS my condolences to yourself and family also.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad to hear that. All the best in overcoming your grief.
  • Options
    My thoughts are with the families and friends of you both.
  • Options
    so sorry to hear this Damo - my sincere condolences and may she RIP
  • Options
    Very sad, my condolences
  • Options
    So sorry for the heart aches described here. I hope things improve for you all.

KHA - does your wife read much? I would strongly recommend, from personal experience, this book ''Advice on Dying: And Living a Better Life'' It may help you too, as you may be able to drip feed little pointers to improving her view of life.

Stay positive all of you
  • Options
    My condolences to you both Damo and WSS.
  • Options
    Very emotional thread and I wish all of you all the very best for what at times can be a cruel world.
  • Options
    :( sad news
  • Options
    Damo, so sorry to hear about your Mum. Two months isn't long, but I hope you were able to make good use of the time you did have left together. WSS, I don't know your Mum's circumstances, but please accept my condolences, and I hope you're doing OK.

KHA, I think the idea about getting counselling for yourself is a good one. It may also be worth reminding your wife that it won't bring her brother and sister back, but it should help her deal with their loss, so she can fully appreciate the good things she still has in her life. In particular it may help prevent her from losing her relationship with her son, which is a definite risk if she's still trapped in her grief by the time he reaches the awkward puberty stage.
  • Options
    Upmost sypathy. My mum died last year. Skin cancer it had spread into her spine. If u want a chat PM me. On hols at mo but happy to chat.