Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'The Sun' England Flag in Paris

thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4365562/Show-em-no-merci-We-beam-England-flag-on-Paris-icons-the-Eiffel-Tower-and-Arc-de-Triomphe-ahead-of-France-v-England-at-the-Euros.html

I've taken this from the match thread and started a new one as someone suggested on there.

If, like me, you think it's an embarrassment then write a quick word by e-mail:

talkback@the-sun.co.uk

Something like this should do it:

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am just writing to register my embarrassment at the cheap stunt you performed in beaming the English flag onto two of Paris's most important landmarks. I know that you will take my complaint as a lack of sense of humour and claim that it is just 'banter' but perhaps you should just try to imagine the reverse situation and then think about what your reaction would be. You would probably be printing anti-French headlines and be declaring that the French are arrogant and rude.

The representatives of your newspaper who did this are a national disgrace to England who have shown a complete and total lack of respect to a neighbouring nation. I suggest that you make an apology in both languages and send it to all the major French newspapers. In not doing so you shall just confirm what most decent English people know already: that 'The Sun' is a an indecent, shameful, useless excuse for a newspaper.

Yours Faithfully,

David Target.

Comments

• Options
    Dear Dave Target

Do one!

Thanks
    Dan
  • Options
    Dear Dan,

Say that to Yann Kermorgant and see what he thinks.

Total lack of respect. And to think we start up initiatives like 'Fair Play.'
  • Options
    zzzzzzzzzz & bzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    Or:

DearSir/madam,

I am still pissing myself laughing, that you had the front to perform such a stunt right under the noses of those cheese eating, surrender monkeys. Can you imagine the reverse situation and what the reaction would be? No, I can't either.

Although I think 'The Sun' is a shameful, indecent useless excuse for a newspaper, I rather like your website, which is evidenced by my reading of aforementioned topic.

Yours Faithfully,

Davide 'sense of humour failure' Target
  • Options
    The worst thing about it is I can just imagine the uproar from its knuckle dragging readers if a French paper was to do the same thing here and most probably have no idea of the significance of the Arc de Triomphe
  • Options
    Or:

DearSir/madam,

I am still pissing myself laughing, that you had the front to perform such a stunt right under the noses of those cheese eating, surrender monkeys. Can you imagine the reverse situation and what the reaction would be? No, I can't either.

Although I think 'The Sun' is a shameful, indecent useless excuse for a newspaper, I rather like your website, which is evidenced by my reading of aforementioned topic.

Yours Faithfully,

Davide 'sense of humour failure' Target
    Typical. Insult a whole nation and if they complain just put it down to a lack of sense of humour. What about if I call you a w****r and if you complain I say that you have no sense of humour.

Well, there were other people on the other thread that agree with me. Perhaps those with any common sense have logged off tonight.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Didn't the French beam their flag onto Buckingham Palace during the Jubilee concert last week?
    ;-)
  • Options

Can you imagine the reverse situation and what the reaction would be? No, I can't either
    Really? ;-)

• Options
    I suppose it's a good sign when this is the most people have to get offended about. Kind of like when people complain that there's not enough news
  • Options
    A childish stunt by a childish newspaper quelle suprise!

I love the way they 'support' England when it suits their agenda. This is the same paper that tried to humiliate the new England manager on his first full day in the job on their front page.

Their transparent 'patriotic' stunts seem to sell them more papers every time but I guess some folk are easy to please.

Now where's my 'The Sun' St Georges flag to bluetac to my front window...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some people will moan about anything ffs.
    But sometimes it is justified though mate?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    It's the sort of thing that greatly amuses Sun readers, not much more to be said really.

In fact, the more that people complain about it the greater the enjoyment of the Sun and its readers - who enjoy nothing more than putting one over the "left-wingers" and intelligentsia.

• Options
    zzzzz

Dont 'read' the Sun but also not really that bothered by it. It amazes me more that people are prepared to send an email / letter to moan about it.
  • Options
    Yes The sun is shite but also oui, you do appear to have had a sense of humour bypass jimmy "j'habite en France" Melrose. chill out fella.
  • Options
    The Aussies done something similiar to us befor an ahses series, we see it as banter and moved on. So should you.
  • Options
    Some people will moan about anything ffs.
    But sometimes it is justified though mate?
    Sometimes but on this occassion it is purely 'banter'. As someone said the Aussies did it to us...No complaints and laugh it off.

The other week the Belgiums were up town with Belgium flags hanging up in Trafalgar Square (?). Never heard of any complaints.

• Options
    The worst thing about it is I can just imagine the uproar from its knuckle dragging readers if a French paper was to do the same thing here and most probably have no idea of the significance of the Arc de Triomphe
    This may have been a cheap stunt but isn't having social predujices the same thing?. Love it or loathe the Sun is the largest selling paper in the UK, so to call a couple of million Britons`knuckle draggers'?
  • Options
    I'd hate to see one of your long E Mails.

Do you really think the French are that bothered? They used to have swastikas hanging from the Arc de Triomphe, I'm sure a feeble light show isn't going to get them quivering in their Absinthe.
  • Options
    A lot of fuss over a nothing. The Sun think they are funny , most people don't . It didn't hurt anyone and isn't worth getting worked up about.
    The Sun have done a lot worse in recent years. Save The e-mail for something far more worthwhile .
  • Options
    Or how about,

Dear Scum,
    Thanks for writing utter shite and spreading lots of lies daily, it makes for a awful read. Why couldn't your company been shut down during the phone hacking scandal? As for your last stunt it is an embarrasment to do something like that, I would expect an eight year old to come up with that idea. I can't wait to see the swedish version of the scum to shine a Sweeden flag on Buckingham palace.

Regards
    Happy reader

P.s please consider doing same trick in Ukraine so you can be shot.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This may have been a cheap stunt but isn't having social predujices the same thing?. Love it or loathe the Sun is the largest selling paper in the UK, so to call a couple of million Britons`knuckle draggers'?
    Ok I admit a slight sweeping generalisation however given the recent track record of the sun and stunts in poor taste like this one, then I have to question those who buy it, do they have no morals or are they just too dumb to realise the offence this rag causes on a regular basis?

The response to this here is exactly what is wrong, if you find what they did is wrong then those who find it as a bit of "banter" label you as miserable, boring etc. I always put myself in the other persons position to see how I would feel, I'd like to wager the vast majority of people would find it in poor taste if a German newspaper were to project their flag onto the cenotaph
  • Options
    Wasn't it the Sun that got it's knickers in the biggest twist, when the Argentines showed that film of the Argentine Athlete training on the Falkland Islands?
  • Options
    Doesn't it all depend on the context and the agenda behind it?
    In this case the context is a game of football and the agenda is to sell more newspapers. I think its a tasteless trashy thing to do but in a few days will be forgotten about.
  • Options
    think ill start buying the sun again love it that it makes the Guardianistas puke on here -----------only reason worth paying for it.

Yes of course only the Sun that was pissed off about an Argie runner jumping up and down on War Memeorial.
  • Options
    Wasn't it the Sun that got it's knickers in the biggest twist, when the Argentines showed that film of the Argentine Athlete training on the Falkland Islands?
    I do think that was a little more innappropriate as there's a genuine renewed conflict going on there. That video was a definite political statement about a sore subject that could even lead to more fighting, with the Olympics just being used as an excuse to make a point. The Sun duly lost their minds about it though.
  • Options
    Ok I admit a slight sweeping generalisation however given the recent track record of the sun and stunts in poor taste like this one, then I have to question those who buy it, do they have no morals or are they just too dumb to realise the offence this rag causes on a regular basis?

The response to this here is exactly what is wrong, if you find what they did is wrong then those who find it as a bit of "banter" label you as miserable, boring etc. I always put myself in the other persons position to see how I would feel, I'd like to wager the vast majority of people would find it in poor taste if a German newspaper were to project their flag onto the cenotaph
    I buy it
    I just dont care that they did it.
    Nor would I care if the french did it.

Doesnt make a difference to me, just something to read over breakfast.

• Options
    Or how about,

Dear Scum,
    Thanks for writing utter shite and spreading lots of lies daily, it makes for a awful read. Why couldn't your company been shut down during the phone hacking scandal? As for your last stunt it is an embarrasment to do something like that, I would expect an eight year old to come up with that idea. I can't wait to see the swedish version of the scum to shine a Sweeden flag on Buckingham palace.

Regards
    Happy reader

P.s please consider doing same trick in Ukraine so you can be shot.

Brilliant response.
  • Options
    Putting it on the Eiffel Tower is fine as 'banter' but the Arc de Triomphe is a war memorial with their Tomb of the Unknown soldier underneath it. Bad taste.
  • Options
    Don't happen to live in France do you Jimmy?
  • Options
    i cant believe how busy some people are.

much more important things to concern yourselves about surely?