Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thursday 7.45pm - Spain v Republic of Ireland - Preview/Match Thread

Spain v Republic of Ireland – Thursday 14 June, 7.45pm kick off

Fifa Rankings:
Spain 1
Republic of Ireland 18

Ireland are faced with the prospect of being the first team eliminated from Euro 2012 tonight, if Croatia pick up a point against Italy and Giovanni Trapattoni’s side fail to beat the reigning World and European champions.

Tactics

Spain boss Vicente del Bosque threw the pundits last Sunday by starting without a striker, with Cesc Fabregas playing in an advanced midfield role. Fabregas may miss out against the Irish though after picking up a thigh injury in training. That means Fernando Torres will probably come in after a substitute appearance in the 1-1 draw against Italy, and will look to continue in the same vein of form as he did late on in the season for Chelsea.

Odds of 12/1 suggest the Irish have little hope of victory and after Sunday’s performance against the Croatians, you’d be hard pushed to suggest they can trouble the defending champions. All Charlton fans will be keeping their eye on Keith Andrews, but they may not get a chance to see him with the ball at all. The media have suggested that changes will be made, with Jonathan Walters replacing Kevin Doyle upfront, but one man who won’t be starting is Sunderland winger James McClean. Boss Trapattoni has said that he’s for the future so if anything, it will be a cameo appearance for the former Derry City man once linked with the Addicks.

One to Watch

Spain – Fernando Torres
Ireland – Keith Andrews

Odds (with Paddy Power):
Spain to win 2/7
Ireland 12
Draw 9/2

Prediction

After the disappointing showing from the Irish last Sunday, I hold no hope of them getting anything from this game. Striker or no striker, the Spanish will have around 75% of possession and will stroll to a 2-0 victory. Torres and Silva with the goals.

Comments

• Options
    Torres to get a hattrick!

*Shudders*
  • Options
    Spain -2 @ 12/5
  • Options
    Spain V Ireland Score 4-0 ( 14-1 188Bet)
    Iniesta to score Anytime ( 11-4 Betfair)
    Andrews to recieve a card ( 5-2 Betfair)
  • Options
    Spain -2 @ 12/5
    Not a bad bet at all.
  • Options
    Can see the Irish getting a real hammering tonight. 5 - 0 .
  • Options
    @Curb_it I opened the prosecco last night. no point waiting to celebrate tonight! :-s
  • Options
    Haha, good on you.

• Options
    Iniesta to score anytime is a good bet as well, he looked sharp in the 1st game.

football has a habit of throwing up monumental surprises however this game will not be one of them. another 3-1 defeat for the ROI.
  • Options
    Ireland so far is the worst team in the tournament. Spain will have no problems: Ireland 0 v Spain 3
  • Options
    Iniesta to score anytime is a good bet as well, he looked sharp in the 1st game.

15/2 as a wincast
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

15/2 as a wincast
    you've talked me into it, got to be worth a score.
  • Options

15/2 as a wincast
    I think i will have a little tickle at that one myself.
  • Options
    Apparently the churches are packed throughout Ireland as they pray for a miracle.

Looking forward to seeing the game in a pub in Rathmore on the Cork/Kerry border.

Not sure whether to wear my England shirt though, any thoughts?

• Options
    I've had a little tickle on that Mr Iniesta as well...and scorecast with a 2-1win for spain
  • Options
    Spain 4 - 0 Ireland
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Apparently the churches are packed throughout Ireland as they pray for a miracle.

Looking forward to seeing the game in a pub in Rathmore on the Cork/Kerry border.

"As I was going over the Cork and Kerry mountains"
  • Options
    Trapattoni will rally his troops, swearing and spiting at them from the touchline. Robbie Keane hears the gibberish ranting’s the Italian is spouting and will remember he's in a footie game. He will stop his consistent barrage of abuse at any one who will listen and score the all-important second goal. Ireland to win 2-1.
  • Options

I reckon you're dicing with death... they might take you outside and pelt you with potatoes.

• Options
    1-1...
  • Options

I reckon you're dicing with death... they might take you outside and pelt you with potatoes.

I live near enough to Rathmore, I'm sure you can, probably get a big of slagging but nothing nasty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2012

I live near enough to Rathmore, I'm sure you can, probably get a big of slagging but nothing nasty.
    I drive through there every day on my way to work - where are you? I'm in Killorglin.

• Options
    I hope so

• Options
    I hope so

Miserable

• Options
    Viera in the studio again, really annoys me for some reason.
  • Options
    That Spanish National Anthem is shocking, no players and barely any fans sung !
  • Options
    Deja vu

Torres, 3 mins
  • Options
    Get in. Had 50 quid on Torres anytime. 110 back straight away
  • Options
    Shocking defending
  • Options
    Given is not having a great tournament, possibly due to his injuries but will be disappointed with that goal.

Fear for Ireland, this could be the biggest win of the tournament so far.
  • Options
    A minute longer than Saturday night, if this was sex, I'd be pleased.

FFS