Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey Cricketer Dies age 23

Comments

• Options

It's an appalling waste of a life, and my sympathies go out to his relatives and former colleagues, but you can't help thinking that if a young upcoming footballer had done something similar, there would have been far more of a 'moral outcry' in the media about the 'moral depravity' of football etc

It would probably be front page news if it had been a Premiership footballer.

Sad news but your right to point out if it was a football player the sympathies even at the time would have not been as strong...

• Options
    Ignorant cow!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/9895791/Edwina-Currie-tweets-that-Tom-Maynards-death-was-Darwinism-at-work.html

That said she epitomises with her comment the attitude of LibLabCon politicians to the electorate they are supposed to represent.

Utter contempt.
  • Options

Meant to say the guy has done a couple of drugs that half the people on this site have probably done at some point

Terrible waste of life

Rip

Is that really the case? The number of people regularly taking cocaine and MDMA isn't that high, apart from anything else a coke habit isn't cheap.
    What do you consider regular cocaine use? I'd say there is quite a high amount who do it once a month.

• Options

Jeez there's some heartless buggers aroud. The poor lad's body isn't even cold and one or two are looklng for reasons to have a sly dig......
    a bit of respect please guys.

Agree...but if I hadnt known he was a sportsman I too would have probably felt little sadsness, we are all conditioned and its difficult to express exact complex thoughts in text.

• Options

Meant to say the guy has done a couple of drugs that half the people on this site have probably done at some point

Terrible waste of life

Rip

Is that really the case? The number of people regularly taking cocaine and MDMA isn't that high, apart from anything else a coke habit isn't cheap.

A lot more than you think
  • Options
    The only drug that's made me fall over, hurt myself, or wake up in the wrong town is alcohol.
  • Options
    Drink drivers are drink drivers...only luck and fate separate the likes of Maynard and Hughes, and the way we respond to both types of tragedy.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It is a tragedy that any young person loses their life.

That he was to responsible for the circumstances that lead to his death and was uncaring about others lives doesn't make it less of a tragedy in my eyes. I can condemn his actions but still regret the loss.

His talent at sport doesn't make it any more or less of a tragedy either. Just the same if he was a petty drug dealer or a soldier killed in action.
  • Options
    It wasn't the drugs that made him run onto a railway line, it was the fear of what would happen to him professionally and personally when he was caught. Still think taxation and education on drugs is the way to go...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2013
    And if he'd been an illegal immigrant with a criminal record out on bail would there be all this "sorrow" from non-family and people who just never knew him?

No, I don't think so.

We are all so hypocritical and just treat stories like this in the way we want. If the MO fits we grieve, if it doesn't we scorn.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    No point going through the "What if's" if he had hit someone. He never.

As for the drugs thing, he was young and had the money and like many other people the drugs mentioned are an accessory to a night out. It's not like he was in a tower block hooked on heroin while mugging old ladies to feed a habit.

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Drug use is often over estimated by people who see their social group using so assume everyone or a large percentage are also using.

Research says while around 1/3 of adults (18 - 59) have taken drugs at some time in their life only 9% have done so in the last 12 months.

for 16 - 24 year olds who you'd expect to me using more than older adults the figure is just under 20%. So one in five.

So unlikely it is "half the people on this site" this year or ever.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/sep/28/drug-use-age-popular-cannabis
  • Options
    Riviera said:

And if he'd been an illegal immigrant with a criminal record out on bail would there be all this "sorrow" from non-family and people who just never knew him?

No, I don't think so.

We are all so hypocritical and just treat stories like this in the way we want. If the MO fits we grieve, if it doesn't we scorn.

Called opinions
  • Options
    SE10 said:

As for the drugs thing, he was young and had the money and like many other people the drugs mentioned are an accessory to a night out. It's not like he was in a tower block hooked on heroin while mugging old ladies to feed a habit.

R.I.P

No , he was driving a ton of metal whilst pissed and on drugs. But that's ok isn't it?
  • Options

Drug use is often over estimated by people who see their social group using so assume everyone or a large percentage are also using.

Research says while around 1/3 of adults (18 - 59) have taken drugs at some time in their life only 9% have done so in the last 12 months.

for 16 - 24 year olds who you'd expect to me using more than older adults the figure is just under 20%. So one in five.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/sep/28/drug-use-age-popular-cannabis

social groups at football have a higher % than usual though, so this site may average above the 9%.

• Options

social groups at football have a higher % than usual though, so this site may average above the 9%.

Evidence for that other than anecdotal?
  • Options
    buckshee said:

SE10 said:

R.I.P

No , he was driving a ton of metal whilst pissed and on drugs. But that's ok isn't it?
    Well he never crashed or ran anyone over so this is rather pointless
  • Options
    SE10 said:

buckshee said:

SE10 said:

R.I.P

So if I fire a gun in the street but don't hit anyone that's OK then.

Drink driving is illegal because is leads to so many deaths and injuries so no, it's not pointless to point out that his behaviour was irresponsible and dangerous.
  • Options
    so if i drink drive all year and get away without causing injuries that's ok ....... perleeeeease
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm glad it wasn't just me that thought that was a pathetic comment.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The guys dead ffs - the ultimate price - leave him alone. He's done no more than a lot of people have done and not been caught.It doesnt make it ok, but to castigate him doesnt sit right with me.
  • Options
    When someone RIP's a wrongun because of sport, family, musical tastes etc, it's so easy to condemn, but maybe they have more compassion and forgiveness than I. I can also comprehend the counter reaction, as in Riviera's post...just maybe he knew someone who's life has been ruined by drink driving.
  • Options
    The most remarkable thing about the whole thing is that Maynard's best friend from Millfield school, team mate and flat mate, Hamilton-Brown, didn't know that anything about his habit. Maynard must have been bloody good at concealing it!
  • Options

The most remarkable thing about the whole thing is that Maynard's best friend from Millfield school, team mate and flat mate, Hamilton-Brown, didn't know that anything about his habit. Maynard must have been bloody good at concealing it!

Yeah, right !
  • Options

Yeah, right !
    He's gone back to Sussex, a change of scenery is probably a good thing...
  • Options

SE10 said:

buckshee said:

SE10 said:

R.I.P

So if I fire a gun in the street but don't hit anyone that's OK then.

Drink driving is illegal because is leads to so many deaths and injuries so no, it's not pointless to point out that his behaviour was irresponsible and dangerous.
    He's dead for fuck sake. What is the point of all the what if's??

He never actually hurt anyone yet still ends up with a load of pricks criticising him when he's dead.
  • Options
    "Pricks"! Nice one.

Yes, he's dead and as I said that is a tradegy but it doesn't mean we have to overlook his dangerous behaviour.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

"Pricks"! Nice one.

Yes, he's dead and as I said that is a tradegy but it doesn't mean we have to overlook his dangerous behaviour.

Wow, Cmon Henry, he's dead. He didnt kill or injure anyone else . He's paid the ultimate price - there are plenty out there who have done what he's done and killed and or seriously hurt other people. but are roaming the streets now. What do you want to do ? Kill him again !!??
    Leave him alone - and let it be !
    RIP Tom - one very good cricketer who gave a lot of joy to a lot of people.You'll be very much missed.
  • Options
    So cos he was a good cricketer that means we have a different standard for him?

Yet again I'll say it. His death is a tradegy.