Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    My Brilliant Friend started on Sky Atlantic last night. Read all the Ferrante books over the summer so really looking forward to this series. Excellent start. Amazing how the characters and scenes so closely matched up to what my imagination created whilst reading the books.
  • Options
    The lead actress in LDG has to be the perkiest performer on prime time TV.
  • Options

My Brilliant Friend started on Sky Atlantic last night. Read all the Ferrante books over the summer so really looking forward to this series. Excellent start. Amazing how the characters and scenes so closely matched up to what my imagination created whilst reading the books.

We watched this too although think many would have missed out due to its low profile.

I know nothing about the books but the TV Times "advert" caught my attention & am really pleased it did.

Great acting from the children & the scene now set for a highly promising series.
  • Options
    Jints said:

Riviera said:

I think you may be getting le Carre mixed up with Robert Ludlum.

Ho ho ho, guvnor.

anyway, you inspired me to go to the great man's Wiki page and remind myself of all the film- TV series based on his novels that I have seen. Strictly my own opinion of course, but..

as bad as or not much better than TLDG: Our kind of Traitor, the Tailor of Panama,
    Significantly better: The Russia House, The Constant Gardener, Tinker Taylor (the 2011 film), a Most Wanted Man
    Different Planet: Tinker Tailor, Smiley's People, A Perfect Spy, The Night Manager.

Doubt that the great man would agree with me though. He has said he's been very unhappy with some of the screen adaptations. Presumably for that reason, in 2010 two of his sons set up a production company, the Ink Factory (Wiki says). Of their four, I've nominated two, including TLDG, as turkeys. But they also produced The Night Manager.

The Spy who Came in from The Cold? In the top category IMO

Didn't know there had been an adaptation of A Perfect Spy. Loved the book so must find it.

Well I wasn't sure I had seen it, even though I think I have, so I left it out. I read that a new version is in the works.
  • Options

The lead actress in LDG has to be the perkiest performer on prime time TV.

Perky is quite a good word, and i think is what pisses me off about her. she just doesn't look, talk or act like it's 1979. I am fully expecting her to come out with something like " I'm all over a G&T right now" or "I'm cool with that".

But the cars are top notch. No expense spared there.
  • Options

I recorded this. Haven't read the books but saw an advert for the series and it looks really good. Worth reading the books first?
  • Options

Just caught the last 3 minutes of Sally4Ever. Probably the most disturbing 3 minutes I have ever watched.

I just saw the bit that I think you are referring to............filth....but funny as fuck.
  • Options
    So as mentioned the Last Kingdom (Season Three) was released on Netflix on Monday

Is a show I've been really looking forward to as the other two seasons have been damned good and are worth watching if your a fan of the books

My sole criticsm is (and mentioned this on the Games of Thrones thread) is the fact that Seasons One and Two kept really faithful to the books whereas this season has been a bit different, events have been put into the series that werent there in the books. Yes I know you could say that the books are very much written from the view point of the main character (Uhtred) so that events portrayed in the series are a way to break that up but even still some moments are really disappointing

Two plus points though; Bernard Cornwell (the author) has an excellent cameo, having done some amateur acting he's not just some bloke standing around in the background

The other is the fact that when a book goes from page to screen you're always nearly disappointed at the casting choices... Was especially disappointed with Alexander Dreymon as Uhtred, yet after watching him for three seasons now I think he's a brilliant choice yet is still overshadowed by David Dawson and Mark Rowley (Finan) who in themselves have been excellent to watch
  • Options

So as mentioned the Last Kingdom (Season Three) was released on Netflix on Monday

Is a show I've been really looking forward to as the other two seasons have been damned good and are worth watching if your a fan of the books

My sole criticsm is (and mentioned this on the Games of Thrones thread) is the fact that Seasons One and Two kept really faithful to the books whereas this season has been a bit different, events have been put into the series that werent there in the books. Yes I know you could say that the books are very much written from the view point of the main character (Uhtred) so that events portrayed in the series are a way to break that up but even still some moments are really disappointing

Two plus points though; Bernard Cornwell (the author) has an excellent cameo, having done some amateur acting he's not just some bloke standing around in the background

The other is the fact that when a book goes from page to screen you're always nearly disappointed at the casting choices... Was especially disappointed with Alexander Dreymon as Uhtred, yet after watching him for three seasons now I think he's a brilliant choice yet is still overshadowed by David Dawson and Mark Rowley (Finan) who in themselves have been excellent to watch

Really enjoyed S1/2. Looking forward to digging into S3.
  • Options
    Halfway through season 2 of Ozark - still enjoying it. Jason Bateman and Laura Linney are perfectly cast
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Halfway through season 2 of Ozark - still enjoying it. Jason Bateman and Laura Linney are perfectly cast

It’s very rare......but I think S2 is better than the first.
  • Options
    Enjoying series 3 of Shooter on Netflix. Ozark series 2 to follow.
  • Options
    Christ. House of cards series 6 is missing Kevin Spacey massively.
    I'm on episode 5 and might bail.
    Gutted!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Blood - a 5/6 part series been on C5 this week.
    A whodunnit murder drama with the copper out of Line of Duty (Adrian Dunbar) the main suspect.
    Weird at times, with a marvellous final episode 10/10.
    I'd thoroughly recommend & don't let the fact that it was on C5 put you off, because it was definitely like BBC at it's best.
    (Assume you could watch/record on catch up).
  • Options
    edited November 2018

I’m struggling with it as I was half way through season 1 . I’m not sure why but I think it’s because Jason Bateman doesn’t look interested or frightened enough considering the position he and his family are in.
  • Options

Valley11 said:

@Croydon have a look at The Sinner. Bill Pullman as a dysfunctional detective. Quite creepy storylines.
    Season 2 just been released and I’m already half way through.

Watched Season 1 of this over the weekend, thought it was fantastic. Pullman and Jessica Biel were brilliant as the main characters.
    Looking forward to starting Season 2 tonight.
    I thought The Sinner series 1 has one of the weakest endings I've seen from a TV series. Im hoping Series 2 is better.
    I agree with this. Really enjoyed it but thought the ending was shite.

I have watched 4 episodes of Season 2 and really enjoying it. Not quite sure what is going on though.
  • Options

I’m struggling with it as I was half way through season 1 . I’m not sure why but I think it’s because Jason Bateman doesn’t look interested or frightened enough considering the position he and his family are in.
    I watched about two episodes and despite the interesting plot I thought it was a bit slow and stopped watching...
  • Options
    I can totally understand people giving up on Ozark after a few episodes. It is quite slow...but stick with it.
    Such a good series. It’s up there with the best for me.
  • Options

Valley11 said:

@Croydon have a look at The Sinner. Bill Pullman as a dysfunctional detective. Quite creepy storylines.
    Season 2 just been released and I’m already half way through.

Watched Season 1 of this over the weekend, thought it was fantastic. Pullman and Jessica Biel were brilliant as the main characters.
    Looking forward to starting Season 2 tonight.
    I thought The Sinner series 1 has one of the weakest endings I've seen from a TV series. Im hoping Series 2 is better.
    I agree with this. Really enjoyed it but thought the ending was shite.

I have watched 4 episodes of Season 2 and really enjoying it. Not quite sure what is going on though.
    Yep totally agree. Thought the whole thing far too conveniently. Looking forward to starting s2 though as general consensus is that it's better than the first one
  • Options
    On iPlayer 3 part mini series .. Surgeons: At the Edge of Life .. these people are worth double what ANY footballer is being paid
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has anyone seen any of Narcos: Mexico yet? Only just seen it's available
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Doctor Who is nearing the end of its run and I have to say it has gradually improved after a poor start.
    A couple of criticisms though. Does the Doctor have to explain absolutely everything? The writers have been really poor at hiding the exposition required in each episode. Secondly, hardly any of the baddies have turned out to be bad. Used now and then this approach would be effective, but almost every week is a bit too much.
  • Options
    Little Drummer Girl finale - thoughts?
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Doctor Who is nearing the end of its run and I have to say it as gradually improved after a poor start.
    A couple of criticisms though. Does the Doctor have to explain absolutely everything? The writers have been really poor at hiding the exposition required in each episode. Secondly, hardly any of the baddies have turned out to be bad. Used now and then this approach would be effect, but almost every week is a bit too much.

Mostly it's the writers who've turned out to be bad.
  • Options

Underwhelmed.
  • Options

Enjoyed an early turkey this year

• Options
    johnny73 said:

Doctor Who is nearing the end of its run and I have to say it has gradually improved after a poor start.
    A couple of criticisms though. Does the Doctor have to explain absolutely everything? The writers have been really poor at hiding the exposition required in each episode. Secondly, hardly any of the baddies have turned out to be bad. Used now and then this approach would be effective, but almost every week is a bit too much.

It must be remembered that it is fundamentally a kids program.
  • Options

Saw Episode One last week... really enjoyed it yet didnt realise a lot of it would be in Spanish with subtitles

Note: this is the sole episode I've seen of Narcos as didnt realise it was a spinoff to an original series that has already had three seasons - Definitely plan to go back over them; are they also Spanish with subtitles does anyone know?
  • Options

Saw Episode One last week... really enjoyed it yet didnt realise a lot of it would be in Spanish with subtitles

Note: this is the sole episode I've seen of Narcos as didnt realise it was a spinoff to an original series that has already had three seasons - Definitely plan to go back over them; are they also Spanish with subtitles does anyone know?
    Narcos 1-3 is a similar format mate......English and Spanish subtitles interspersed.
  • Options

Narcos 1-3 is a similar format mate......English and Spanish subtitles interspersed.
    Cheers; I have struggled with subtitles in the past as it means you really have to pay attention to whats being said rather than just listening to whats being said and being able to watch whats going on in the whole scene

Regardless I was surprised when I liked watching the end of Ep1 and will probably go back to see 1-3 before watching the rest of Narcos: Mexico now (despite there being no connections) - Helps that I like Pena (he's bloody brilliant in Ant-Man) and Diego Luna who I've been impressed with from the Terminal and Rogue One when I've seen him