Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Very disappointed with the second half of series 2 of Killing Eve. Not much on mainstream TV for me atm. Might give catch 22 a go tomorrow.
    You tried Berlin Station, mate? I just finished Series 2 and really enjoyed it. It's like a Euro version of Spooks, and not just because Rhys Ifans is in it too, not quite so high octane as Spooks at its best,  but interesting characters, and the Berlin backdrop. 

On the other hand, I thought Deutschland 86 ran out of steam a bit towards the end.
    Agree about Deutschland 86. Have not got around to Series 2 of Berlin Station but hope to soon. Loved Spooks, one of my favourite series.

Just finished a Danish drama from More 4/Walter Presents called The Lawyer. Was good and worth a watch. 
  • Options
    'Dark' season 2 is on Netflix. It's going to hard to pick up after a long break but I have high hopes for it. I like its Twin Peaks vibes.
  • Options
    Watched the finale of The Looming Tower last night.  Really enjoyed it. 

Thought the ending where the maverick FBI man John O'Neil was squeezed out, only to find himself a job as head of security in the twin towers a bit far fetched.  However, having researched him on Google it transpires that it is absolutely true.  John O'Neil died while helping to evacuate the South tower during the attack.  Not only that, his characterisation and that of sidekick Ali Soufan are pretty accurate according to their individual Wiki pages.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Thought the ending where the maverick FBI man John O'Neil was squeezed out, only to find himself a job as head of security in the twin towers a bit far fetched.  However, having researched him on Google it transpires that it is absolutely true.  John O'Neil died while helping to evacuate the South tower during the attack.  Not only that, his characterisation and that of sidekick Ali Soufan are pretty accurate according to their individual Wiki pages.
    I watched it when it was just released and it was one of the best TV series I've watched. Most of it is true. What happened to John O'Neill is so tragic.

The woman CIA officer is a very disgusting character. 
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfreda_Frances_Bikowsky
  • Options

I watched it when it was just released and it was one of the best TV series I've watched. Most of it is true. What happened to John O'Neill is so tragic.

Interesting link, thanks for posting. Intriguing that she was the inspiration for Jessica chastain's character in zero dark thirty as well as Diane in this. You come away feeling very differently about the two characters, despite them sharing the base person.
  • Options

Interesting link, thanks for posting. Intriguing that she was the inspiration for Jessica chastain's character in zero dark thirty as well as Diane in this. You come away feeling very differently about the two characters, despite them sharing the base person.
    Absolutely. I loved Zero Dark Thirty and obviously Jessica's character was depicted as a heroine. So when I finished watching The Looming Tower a few years after ZDT and found out they were actually the same person, I was totally shocked.
  • Options
    Finally finished The Looming Tower and thought it was excellent.

Shocking how 911 could have been avoided if it wasn't for CIA brinkmanship.
  • Options

Read the book, it’s excellent 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Rizzo said:
    Not sure if it's been mentioned on here but What We Do In The Shadows has had me in stitches as I've caught up with it on iplayer. The scripts are hilarious and Matt Berry always cracks me up. Thoroughly recommended.
    The film properly made me laugh several times so I'm looking forward to the TV programme 
    Ms AA and I thought the film was tedious but I’ve heard good things of the TV series so will give it a chance. 
  • Options

I watched a series called 'Elite' this week on Netflix, 2nd season is out this year at some point. I recommend it, its about these new students who join a rich school and there is lots of drama, not a spoiler but at the start someone dies and then each episode they sort of piece together with things going on like affairs, lots of drama. Worth a watch imo its kind of a high school thing like 'Riverdale' but a lot more too it and probably for a wider audience.

7/10

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Every hour of your life is an hour you won’t get back.
    I feel the same about Killing Eve, the missus loves it but I just don't see it
    I couldn't get into Killing Eve either. Just not my cup of tea.
    I was told you can drink a different variety of tea every day of the year in China and still not have tried them all. 
  • Options
    I was told you can drink a different variety of tea every day of the year in China and still not have tried them all. 

And none of them would be better than PG. 

FACT. 
  • Options
    New series of Stranger Things out today 
  • Options
    I thought the first series of Stranger Things was one of the biggest loads of cack ever. Have not bothered since.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I thought the first series of Stranger Things was one of the biggest loads of cack ever. Have not bothered since.

I thought it was great
  • Options
    Are you from the upside down?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Not sure if we have that many kinds of tea but yeah we are indeed a big tea-drinking country. I drink tea at the office every day and usually it's one of Goji berries, rose, jasmine or chrysanthemum. Obviously better than purified water. :smile:
  • Options
    Stranger Things is superb. Been buzzing for this series.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Are you from the upside down?
    Yup :smiley:
  • Options
    I like thought provoking sci-fi generally, one that is based in the here and now but projects elements of society into the future (or even unravels corners of the present day).
    However unless brilliantly written the 'fantasy' side of the genre seems to be a bit of a cop out. Like if the ideas run out you invent an intelligent spider with magic powers or something. This is the problem for me with stuff like Star Wars, or Pratchett amongst others.
    I don't so much mind if the fantastical clashes with the human, as in the film Alien, but some sci-fi seems remarkably lazy, if you run into a plot dead end then invent a superpowered hamster and all is OK.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I like thought provoking sci-fi generally, one that is based in the here and now but projects elements of society into the future (or even unravels corners of the present day).
    However unless brilliantly written the 'fantasy' side of the genre seems to be a bit of a cop out. Like if the ideas run out you invent an intelligent spider with magic powers or something. This is the problem for me with stuff like Star Wars, or Pratchett amongst others.
    I don't so much mind if the fantastical clashes with the human, as in the film Alien, but some sci-fi seems remarkably lazy, if you run into a plot dead end then invent a superpowered hamster and all is OK.
    Don't agree about Pratchett - his work is fantasy but is intentionally focused on humour too. 
  • Options

Finished Narcos: Mexico last week and binged season one in the weekend. One of the best TV series I've ever watched! So intense and captivating. I think I'll finish season two and three in the next couple of weeks. It's really addictive....

• Options

Finished Narcos: Mexico last week and binged season one in the weekend. One of the best TV series I've ever watched! So intense and captivating. I think I'll finish season two and three in the next couple of weeks. It's really addictive....

It's very good but not a patch on the first Narcos about  Escobar. That, Luther and breaking bad are the best series on there.
  • Options
    Really enjoying Warrior on Sky Atlantic (all episodes available on demand). Not heavy on the fight scenes and plenty of storylines going on. Really well made as well.
  • Options
    The Gentleman Jack series has it's 'last' episode yesterday. The good news is there will be another series.
    The script, costume, music, humour and drama, and the pace were fantastic. Great writing and direction.
    Suranne Jones is as obvious a BAFTA winner next time as Jodie Comer was last time for Killing Eve. If there is a better acting performance to come this year it will be astonishingly good.
  • Options

It's very good but not a patch on the first Narcos about  Escobar. That, Luther and breaking bad are the best series on there.
    I'm currently on season 2 episode 1 of Narcos and just now saw a comment on a Chinese site  'GoT is shit compared to Narcos.' :joy: I watched a few episodes of BB a few years ago but didn't continue. Loved its dark humour very much. Wanted to watch Luther but couldn't find it on the site I usually go for TV series so I gave up.
  • Options
    Watched 'war in the blood' on the BBC last night about the breakthrough cancer trial Cart T therapy.
    It followed two patients through their journeys.
    Real rollercoaster that was hard to watch at times.
     I normally avoid these shows and this bought back painful memories but it was really well filmed and I couldn't stop watching. The stuff these genetic scientists are doing is unbelievable.
    As I say. Very difficult to watch at times but well worth it imo.
  • Options
    Stranger Things is superb. Been buzzing for this series.
    I’ve only just started season one, 6 episodes in. Can’t believe how good it is.
  • Options
    I totally missed Dancing on the Edge when it first appeared on screen in 2013.  I did however, dig it out of the BBC iplayer where it is hiding - up until the 21st August.  

Loved the concept as we follow the talented Louis Lester band, (a black jazz band) in London during the early 30s. The band somehow build a great following among the elite of the establishment, which in turn brings fame and tragedy in equal measure.  Lots of big names in this series, I was particularly struck by the speaking voice of Stanley the music journalist (who sounded like David Bowie to me).  And speaking of voices, the lead singer Jessie Taylor was quite dazzling, surprised we've heard so little from her since. 

Really enjoyed it, would rather it wasn't quite so dark ... and old fool that I am, would have preferred a happier conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_cpljdE2Xo

• Options
    For all you Doc Martin fans they were filming a part of the new series on the beach we were on in North Cornwall today. Rumours were Martin Clunes had called it a day but I can confirm this is not true.