Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crawley Away 1/8/12 (1-0 FT, Green)

Comments

• Options
    Sure looks dark outside the ground with those storm clouds - creepy even. Guess you would say creepy crawley
  • Options

Sure looks dark outside the ground with those storm clouds - creepy even. Guess you would say creepy crawley

The West Ham Gods are angry at us for defying their orders and playing their new signing.
  • Options
    1-0 it is FT
  • Options
    Have we conceded yet in pre-season?
  • Options
    Sounds like the lowest of low key friendlies.

If you consider that they have beaten Peterborough and Millwall it appears to be a decent result.
  • Options
    Another good result. Undefeated this pre season? Must be our best pre season results- wise for yonks.

Arguably not a meaningful gauge of how good we are but glad to see the squad have a winning mentatlity in all games which can only be a good thing.
  • Options

Have we conceded yet in pre-season?

4-1 against barnet
  • Options
    As Clem said they beat Peterboro who are in our league so not a shabby result even if the performance doesn't sound much cop.

Fulham will be the real test. Think I'll go to that one ; - )
  • Options
    Not seen us yet this pre season, but winning is a decent habit to have.

Be interested on thoughts of those there on this formation change we've been experimenting with
  • Options

Not seen us yet this pre season, but winning is a decent habit to have.

Be interested on thoughts of those there on this formation change we've been experimenting with

I really am not sure. When things go well, the passing and the options look good. I think the concern is that we might get overran in midfield when the going gets tough. The defence still looks tight even though we will face tougher tests than Crawley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just back from the game, not one of the better games or even friendlies i've ever been to, but pre season and all. having said that, here are my two pennys worth: to me it looked like we played 4-3-1-2 for most of the game, but quite flexible, with waggy hollands and cook in mid, behind green behind smith and haynes. did show some flashes of good stuff in the first hour, but never really got out of second gear (and didnt need to, to be fair). dervite is essentially a hench version of taylor, look very similar. dervite was good in the air, seemed to like to run it out of defence (a la morro) but also went long a couple of times. can see why weve got him on trial, provided he continues like that id say hed be the ideal 4th cb we need. solly and wiggins nothing to be said really, the usual.

wagstaff energetic as always, and put in some excellent defensive work (!). hollands was his usual self, doesnt seem to have been affected at all by his injury. cook looked good without really doing all that much. hamer made some good saves, couple of dodgy kicks, one of which was greeted by jj (warming up) saying "f*ck me, what was that?"

now i dont know if its because we were much closer to the pitch than normal, but the game looked very fast, faster than last season, smith is rapid for a "big man", pritchard seems to have gained a lot of pace, and no idea what the worries were about yann, hes still his old battling fantastic french self. we looked much more solid and slick once jj and yann came on.

finally, very impressed by all the players warming up, more than happy to come and chat/sign etc, particularly waggy and hollands. its been said before but this group of players are very much proper charlton.
  • Options
    just back from the game - all a bit ordinary & nothing special (and that includes Devite). Glad we now have players who can score from dead ball play as we had nothing going for us otherwise. Nice all round play but
    didn't trouble their keeper enough.

hey ho - more playing mins under their belts I suppose and maybe we can add Green to the Stephens / Bover midfield playmaker role.
  • Options
    Dervite a hench version of Taylor?? Must be the size of the moon
  • Options
    Just back from the game, and yes I live 300yds from the ground, but I can't really remember much to be honest
    I did see NSS and he just snarled at me!
    Happy days 6/6 and onwards and upwards

night all!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    average game. ball in the air a fair bit with both teams struggling to break through each others defence.
    hardly many shots, though hamer (who was sporting a rather nice new goalkeeper strip) was tested a few times and dealt with the shots comfortably. even looked good dealing with balls crossed in, punched them away and caught a few! though he did flap at one. oh well.

our main threat came from the wings especially in the first half with wagstaff and solly providing some decent balls.
    nothing much through the middle as it was pretty crammed, forwards were left out of alot the game, having to contend flick ons rather than through balls. shame for the likes of haynes.
    Dervite (big bloke) was poor to start of with, not wining much in the air against their forward but once he got into the game he became more confident and challenged better, hard to say if he's worth signing up.

to those who have never been to Crawley then if you had the misfortune of going to Stevenage, its about the same, but without the fair ground. bar in the ground was good though.
  • Options

I did see NSS and he just snarled at me!

Lol
  • Options
    Went to the match last night. Pretty ordinary fare. From the manager's point of view, the terrible weather from just before halk-time probably wrecked an opportunity of gauging more about some of the peripheral players. Wiggins the stand-out player in the first half. Green's free kick for the goal was good but his corners were dreadful. The pace of the game was much higher in the second period. None of the forwards showed anything of note. Defence looked pretty solid except when dealing with corners when Crawley always seemed to be first to the ball. Jackson looked good when he came on.
    Highlight was parking up right by the away turnstiles so didn't get wet and a very quick getaway!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Went to the match last night. Pretty ordinary fare. From the manager's point of view, the terrible weather from just before halk-time probably wrecked an opportunity of gauging more about some of the peripheral players. Wiggins the stand-out player in the first half. Green's free kick for the goal was good but his corners were dreadful. The pace of the game was much higher in the second period. None of the forwards showed anything of note. Defence looked pretty solid except when dealing with corners when Crawley always seemed to be first to the ball. Jackson looked good when he came on.
    Highlight was parking up right by the away turnstiles so didn't get wet and a very quick getaway!

In your opinion is Dervite good enough for the Championship?

• Options
    Maybe, he looked quite pacey, good in the tackle and showed some nice touches. Not blaming him necessarily but corners were a weakness. Maybe any positional deficencies will be overcome once he has bedded in? (If he stays, of course.) I'd need to see more of him to be honest and under some better floodlights!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An efficient result, similar to a few aways we won by the odd goal last season, they never really looked like scoring, and we won with a bit of quality, still looking solid at the back.
  • Options

all a bit ordinary. Glad we now have players who can score from dead ball play. Nice all round play but
    didn't trouble their keeper enough.

hey ho - more playing mins under their belts I suppose and maybe we can add Green to the Stephens / Bover midfield playmaker role.

Agree with the above.

Cook came in a bit too often for someone who was meant to be playing on the left, perhaps this can be resolved through coaching.

Hamer made a couple of decent saves.

The ground feels (perhaps not surprisingly) non league.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I wouldn't argue with any of that. I thought Cook looked good in the first half - confident on the ball and always involved. Haynes worked hard but without any rewards - I thought Smith looked off the pace. All the defenders involved looked solid. As for Dervite, he didn't start well but settled as the game went on. I would put him down as a possible rather than a probable.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

I wouldn't argue with any of that. I thought Cook looked good in the first half - confident on the ball and always involved. Haynes worked hard but without any rewards - I thought Smith looked off the pace. All the defenders involved looked solid. As for Dervite, he didn't start well but settled as the game went on. I would put him down as a possible rather than a probable.
    You would put him down?....harsh.
  • Options

Dervite aint good enough

Your not allowed to say that. Apparently you cant form an opinion of a player only watching him once.

you can't form an entirely accurate opinion, no

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Maybe, he looked quite pacey, good in the tackle and showed some nice touches. Not blaming him necessarily but corners were a weakness. Maybe any positional deficencies will be overcome once he has bedded in? (If he stays, of course.) I'd need to see more of him to be honest and under some better floodlights!

Thanks for replying guys. Yes I understand it's difficult to judge on one game only, and a friendly against lower league opposition at that. Sometimes you can just get a feel that a player has got quality. If you're looking for a first eleven centre half, then he needs to be better than what we already have. Will be interesting to see what happens on this one.

• Options
    didn't The Cure come from Crawley ?
  • Options
    I went last night - I thought Jordan Cook showed some real class touches at times last night (the ball in to Haynes in the first half in particular) and it looked like there's a lot of promise there. Solly and Wiggins were quality, Dervite didn't inspire much confidence although he did improve and there's clearly talent present - but is he good enough for the Championship? On last night's showing no, I didn't think he had enough presence in the box at set pieces and seemed very uneasy when on the ball - although again that did improve so it could be that he's still settling in - but what was that, his third friendly? Hmm.

Michael Smith didn't impress but that could well be through lack of service, blokes behind me slagging off his first touch were a little unfair I thought. Hamer didn't have much to do but what he did was done well, and it was nice at times in the first play watching the interplay between Waggy, Green and Solly.

Not sure about the diamond formation, it seemed to be awesome in brief spells but a bit disorganised for the majority of it. Maybe that's just players getting used to it but I'd be nervous if that's how we set up at Brum.

JJ, Kerm, BWP etc. in the second half made a difference even though no goals came, Pritchard decent. Stephens looked out of the game but he did come on just as the torrential rain started.

Some of the linesman's second half decisions were up there with the Sporting PSF lino.

Overall it was just nice to see the boys out on the pitch again, even if it was unseasonably cold and not the best match ever. My ten year old turned round at the end and asked to go to Gillingham so couldn't have been that bad!
  • Options
    Echo what Leaburn above said, Cook showed a lot of class and may surprise a few this season. His biggest problem may be finding his best position as he did try to cut in a lot and didn't seem a natural wide player. Certainly an exciting player on the ball and tries to be inventive.

As for Devite, he dealt well with Akinde after a sluggish start, questions over how he'd deal with better and more technical opponents. He did try and show for the ball from Hamer and pass from the back but with mixed success. Worth another chance against Gills imho.

Based purely on last night, we need one or two more for sure but we looked solid overall.

Crawley were tidy but no real spark until Clarke came on, they may struggle in League 1.
  • Options
    ashley said:

didn't The Cure come from Crawley ?

Yep