Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton have an updated/new O/S

Comments

• Options
    The new community trust site looks good though ;)

cact.org.uk/
  • Options

Pretty shoddy all round in my opinion - would be interesting to see if they did any user research before building the new site

I don't suppose that there are many visually impaired supporters on here but being one of them I have been very critical of the new club web site because of the disregard for the accessibility needs of disabled supporters. I have major issues with the font used.

I have made direct representation to both the club and Football League Interactive, the latter has yet to respond. The person responsible at the club has told me:

"I chose the template. I’m told that all templates meet disability standards but I haven’t checked this, partly because as the Football league provides the website for us – and other clubs – I have no way of changing it"

The new site is an improvement in many areas but has many shortcomings and I for one think there was little or no research or consultation prior to the site being finalised and going live.
  • Options

cact.org.uk/

Certainly does and is a credit to those concerned. No accessibility issues for visually impaired people on their site. Well done!
  • Options

msomerton said:

Well I do not like the new site, and also I have problems getting past the firts page. When i try to get into the second page I fail to download it I get message about a long running script on the Charlton site that stops me down loading it. Does any one have any ideas what I can do to sort this out. I am not a computerbuff.

Don't you get a message saying "long running script, do you want to continue yes/no ? "

Click on no & it should download.

I think the long running script is because there is so much info, pictures & colours.

It also says at the bottom of page 1 that they have had technical issues since Saturday. Seems to be running slow to me & when I clicked on ticket news, it defaulted back to page 1.
    Thanks for the reply Coveredend. Yes I do get that message, but when I opted for no option the page crashes and then I have to recover the page, just sems my pc can not cope with the new software on the Charlton site, getting very frustrating.
  • Options

cact.org.uk/

Blimey ! That is good !
    Any idea who set it up ?
    ;-)

• Options
    Sue Smith (Leeds & England) if you was going to ask.
  • Options

cact.org.uk/

Blimey ! That is good !

Yes it certainly is especially for us blind old buggers, but the club don't seem to care about us any more. More than 4% of the population are visually impaired but CAFC and FLi seem blind to this. Onward and upwards.

• Options

cact.org.uk/
    Blimey ! That is good !

Yes it certainly is especially for us blind old buggers, but the club don't seem to care about us any more. More than 4% of the population are visually impaired but CAFC and FLi seem blind to this. Onward and upwards.

Why don't you email Heather Robertson who is the CADSA Chair & their representative on the FF . She's a lovely lady and would be happy to bring this up at the next meeting, I'm sure.

Link for her details on the O/S.
  • Options
    Is the Fulham game, Away and "Behind Closed Doors" still due to Olympics and Policing issues?

The Ticket page has a Buy Tickets icon against this match.
  • Options
    Blimey ! That is good !

More than 4% of the population are visually impaired but CAFC and FLi seem blind to this. Onward and upwards.

LOL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey ! That is good !

The club have already said they can do nothing to change the site, surely your complaint is with FLi and not the club.
  • Options

The club have already said they can do nothing to change the site, surely your complaint is with FLi and not the club.

As I said in earlier post I have already raised the issue with FLi however as yet as received no response at all. "Can do nothing" really is, in my opinion, a questionable statement. The site fails W3C standards.

The main font used is not user friendly for visually impaired users or text to speech software. There are at least two pages on the site along with many sub headings that use a better (Arial?) type font which is much more acceptable in terms of accessibility.

I only have limited experience of building web sites, mainly using CMS like Joomla, but I know that templates come with CSS and or PHP which can easily be changed.

The new CAFC website has many good points but the top left badge graphic is very poor quality, the small badge graphic at the bottom is black and white and the background is not fixed. Can do nothing?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    As CAFC do not make the site and have no control over the site, how is it a questionable statement?
  • Options

Why don't you email Heather Robertson who is the CADSA Chair & their representative on the FF . She's a lovely lady and would be happy to bring this up at the next meeting, I'm sure.
    Thanks for the info. I will put her in the loop. Have written to the new disability officer at the club along with others there and got other third parties on board who have more clout than me and will also raise it on behalf of disabled people in general.

• Options

As CAFC do not make the site and have no control over the site, how is it a questionable statement?

Of course the club has some control over the site. The Fli supply a range of templates and the club chose which one to use. There is flexibility in using those templates with regard to graphics, text input etc. I do not believe the T&C's of Fli dictate which font should be used and as I said earlier there is use of different fonts on the site in any case.

• Options
    I am staggered that the quality of the website templates is so terrible considering the traffic they must generate for all the FL clubs that use it.

The new cafc.co.uk website is worse than before although I'm not too bothered because now I get the main stories on Facebook.

I just hope CAFCPlayer is improved so that a) it performs better on tablets and b) is filmed in the correct aspect ratio (16:9) with a HD camera.

• Options

The new cafc.co.uk website is worse than before although I'm not too bothered because now I get the main stories on Facebook.

I just hope CAFCPlayer is improved so that a) it performs better on tablets and b) is filmed in the correct aspect ratio (16:9) with a HD camera.

I also don't use the club web site that often but I am just speaking up for the minority of us blind gits and other disabled supporters who may have accessibility issues.

My friend has an Acer Tablet and would agree with your comments so here is hoping for an improvement.

Finally for those who say "can do do nothing" check out the Southend Utd club web site. It uses the same template as Charlton however the text in all the main articles is the user friendly type I have been talking about. I rest my case.

• Options
    Ross said:
    Why should you have to go through all that just to view a website?

People like me (luddite) just want to click on cafc.co.uk and then do what we need to do.

• Options
    Ross said:
    This is reasonable advice but the fact is the new CAFC website is not compliant with W3C Web
    Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 both A & AA standard. Football League Interactive have admitted this to me personally and I have tested the site using the same validation process that Sapient Nitro used which are all public domain and open source tools.

Here are the results for you technical experts lot and of concern to normal users (not disabled) is the HTML and CSS errors.

W3C WCAG 2.0 (A) Known problems: 1 Likely problems: 0 Potential problems: 765 HTML validation: 3 CSS validation: 158

W3C WCAG 2.0 (AA) Known problems: 2 Likely problems: 0 Potential problems: 816 HTML validation: 3 CSS validation: 158

But the good news is guys that FLi will have it fixed by the end of October.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I also don't use the club web site that often but I am just speaking up for the minority of us blind gits and other disabled supporters who may have accessibility issues.

My friend has an Acer Tablet and would agree with your comments so here is hoping for an improvement.

Finally for those who say "can do do nothing" check out the Southend Utd club web site. It uses the same template as Charlton however the text in all the main articles is the user friendly type I have been talking about. I rest my case.

In the interests of fairness, regarding a number of the posts above, I feel I must quote from an email I have received today from who I presume is @grahambenidorm.

"Again I am writing to update you on recent communications we have had recently.

I can confirm that I have heard from Football League Interactive who accept that their new web sites do not comply with W3C A & AA standards.

I can also confirm that they do say that you cannot alter the template or the font used and in respect of that particular fact I sincerely apologise for doubting you over that."

There is no question that there are a number of issues currently with www.cafc.co.uk, including accessibility and the fact that the mobile version isn't up and running, but it *should* be an improvement on the previous website.
  • Options

Ross said:
    Why should you have to go through all that just to view a website?

People like me (luddite) just want to click on cafc.co.uk and then do what we need to do.

Without getting too technical (and I'm preparing to be ridiculed by techies for this very basic explanation...), because your computer stories 'cookies' which enables you to access regularly visited websites quicker.

Unfortunately, when things change behind the scenes (the new website is built on a different system to the previous one), when you click on www.cafc.co.uk, your computer, via the cookies, is trying to access where the old version was rather than where the new one is.

By clearing your cache/following the instructions, you're allowing your computer to properly access the new site.
  • Options

New site doesn't work on a smartphone and the page on mobile use suggests downloading the FL app which appears to have no Charlton content in it - News being completely blank - at least the old site had a reasonably good mobile template for latest news and match reports

Tickets still on the old old system which only works with IE!

Pretty shoddy all round in my opinion - would be interesting to see if they did any user research before building the new site - stats show that smartphone web usage is the fastest growth area in the web

As FLi have fallen behind regarding the launch of some 80-odd club websites this summer, they are seemingly prioritising clubs' new websites over the mobile versions.

This means the smartphone and mobile version will be updated soon. I'm afraid we are completely in the hands of FLi in this regard.
  • Options

I like it. Still needs a bit of tweaking in a few places (longer stories over lapping pages/the badge in the corner) but navigation and ease on the eye is alright

We *finally* sorted the badge in the corner today. When I say we, I mean FLI...
  • Options
    Whilst your on Matt is anyone at CAFC going to clarify the parking situation ?
  • Options

Whilst your on Matt is anyone at CAFC going to clarify the parking situation ?

I've got enough going on with the website, three home programmes and the annual handbook... :)

In answer, not sure what you're referring to, but I know the commercial centre is currently sorting parking for the new season.

Right, now off to harass FLi about something...
  • Options
    A final point, regarding the club's iPhone and Android app, which is run via the Football League.

It seems with the shift to the new website, access to news has become 'lost', with a message about "no connection".

Again, we're on the case, but FLi's priority will be to launch every new club website before the new season, so this will no doubt be sorted subsequently.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I know you've gone now Matt. But you won't have to worry about the programmes, as no bleeder will be there, as you can't park within 3 miles of the ground :-)
  • Options
    As Matt previously said in the interest of fairness here is a snippet of what FLi said to me as of yesterday

"....the non compliant areas will be addressed alongside the other site defects and are due to be completed for the end of October."

Read into this what you like. There is nothing that Matt or anyone else at CAFC can do although Matt did say to me he chose the template. He also said to me:

"There are numerous problems with the FLi format, of which this is certainly one, but it stemmed from the fact that the club had no money three years ago."
  • Options
    Everyone knows this stems from the fact the club had no money, also several people tried to tell you there was nothing the club could do.

It's seems to be you who reads what they will into things.