Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics - Where are the Aussies?

BDLBDL
edited August 2012 in Other Football and Sports
Loads of sledging before the games from the Aussie contingent, so far though, they have been very poor!

Comments

• Options
    To quote Barry Davies, "Frankly, who cares?!"
    :o)
  • Options
    .image
  • Options
    I always think that living in Australia must be like being trapped in a room with immature and rather stupid 14 year old boys.
  • Options
    Bunny said:

I always think that living in Australia must be like being trapped in a room with immature and rather stupid 14 year old boys.

Surprised Gary glitter hasn't moved there if that's the case.
  • Options
    Bunny said:

The blatant racism/xenophobia was quite shocking, even the news reporters would call us Pommes..tbh quite funny really when you think what it means

• Options
    I quite like Aussies.

Mind you, I couldn't eat a whole one in one sitting.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I quite like Aussies.

Kylie?
  • Options

Off_it said:

I quite like Aussies.

Kylie?
    I'd eat her hole, but I wouldn't eat her whole.
  • Options
    They've had their funding cut since Sydney so no surprise really.
    shame I like the Aussies
  • Options
    The Aussie sailors are doing pretty well (on course for 4 golds) so they'll shoot up the medal table in the next few days.

They won't get anywhere near Team GB though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

shame I like the Aussies

You like boorish blokes with the sense of humour of 8 year old boys? Stroooooth.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I like Aussies too, but if they're as much like Millwall fans as Bunny suggests, I might start to go off them.
  • Options
    Now the yanks and chinese are much stronger in the pool the Aussies don't stand much of a chance of getting big hauls of golds like they use to.
  • Options
    Bunny said:

shame I like the Aussies

You like boorish blokes with the sense of humour of 8 year old boys? Stroooooth.

You were nearly describing an average Millwall supporter but you would have to remove the, " with the sense of humour of 8 year old boys? Stroooooth" bit. ;-)

Aussies like South Africans dont take second place and think they've done well. If they beat you its still not enough, they want to beat you again. Its a trait that we dont have in spades.
  • Options
    were better at most sports than them,and for a so called tough race there shit at boxing
  • Options
    Not sure of my figures here but a few years ago the Australians were spending about £1.20 per head of population on sports whereas the UK was spending about 13p. It's why they have punched above their weight in sport for a good few years. The lottery money here in the last 15 years or so has redressed the balance and we are now reaping the rewards.
  • Options
    Who ?????
  • Options
    Bunny said:

Lol that made me smile....

• Options
    (1984) said:
    That was written on Aug 1. Wonder if he/she will be doing a follow-up piece tomorrow?
    (and I really like Aussies. Just to be clear)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also heard the health and safety nazis were even worse in Aus than in uk and ALL Aussie sports were suffering as a result
  • Options
    The media here are a joke......they slaughter their athletes in the newspapers, got to feel a bit sorry for the younger ones......however, I think a few of them had the attitude that they just had to turn up and pick up the gold. They got so "bigged" up that some couldn't possibly ever live up to the populations over inflated expectations.

I've had to switch off the commentary a few times......they really big up the Pom/good old Aussie rivalry even when we aren't competing against each other......Mo Farrah on now, they had to get in that he is actually Somalian......incredible when you look at their very multicultural heritage.

In my opinion, the Aussues don't do themselves any favours, the don't lose well which can be an asset, but they simply don't have an ounce of grace.

They will bounce back though. I found myself willing the Russian women's basketball players yesterday against my adopted country......I love it here but you do get sick of the Aussie this, the Aussie that, pounded into you 24/7 and the constant sniping at these big sporting events.

• Options
    Bunny said:

lol......this comment comes from a man who watches f*****g Millwall. Still I suppose it gives you an advantage in recognising immaturity.
    Oz is a great place to live with fantastic people. It doesn't all revolve around sport.

• Options

Bunny said:

Oz is a great place to live with fantastic people. It doesn't all revolve around sport.

Except when they're winning (particularly against the Brits).
  • Options

Bunny said:

Except when they're winning (particularly against the Brits).
    Yes, they like winning and are not alone in that? The rivalry against the poms is superb, but mainly banter among the people that count i.e. the general population.

• Options
    The Aussies are by and large a lovely bunch of people, who can be a little bit unaware of their own behaviour if anything, now to them that's me talking like a 'smartarse'...

Not known for being the deepest thinkers, however underlying that they IMHO have some very strong underlying British traits if anything, they are very generous, would help you if you needed it, just thoroughly nice really...

Another thing in the mix is also the various cultures they have brought what them, IE Greek, Italian, Eastern European heritage that also gets passed down through the generations...

Their rivalry with UK is obvious, if we were created by another country essentially we would want to kick their arses as often as we could also ...

I'm in Melbourne and personally, once you actually understand these people, I think their are lovely if not a little light in the depth department ...
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I love living in Australia and I (generally) love the Aussies.

Still, they're a bunch of w@nkers, when it comes sport and them losing.
    Happens over and over again.

I'll never forget when cricketer Michael Clarke refused to congratulate NZ after their first test match win on Australian soil since 1985.

And now this:

From HERALD ONLINE:

'Australian media are in denial - the first stage of grief - at seeing New Zealand above their team on the Olympic medal table.

Gold medal wins to Hamish Bond and Eric Murray and Mahe Drysdale propelled New Zealand nine spots ahead of Australia to tenth in the medal count last night.

Channel 9, the official free Olympic broadcaster in Australia, refused to show the Kiwi team's new placing.

It displayed a medal table with only the top nine countries and Australia showing and later admitted Australians did not want to be reminded of New Zealand's success.'
  • Options
    nolly said:

were better at most sports than them,and for a so called tough race there shit at boxing

I remember as a kid, watching cartoons and their kangaroos were great at boxing.
  • Options
    in terms of the medals have Ireland won anything yet?
  • Options
    mparsons1 said:

in terms of the medals have Ireland won anything yet?

The SPL in May 2013.