Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics - Where are the Aussies?

Comments

• Options
    I know Queen Vicky broke the Olympic Record in qualifying this morning but you cant write off Anna Meares just yet. She's one hell of a track sprinter.
  • Options

We're kindly letting them beat us at Mens hockey at the moment to give them something to cheer about.. We just can't shake that sporting, let the little guy win, mentality we have. We're too nice.
  • Options
    Well we we're 3-0 down, 3-3 and Aussies keeper complaining he was pushed for a goal when there was no contact at all.
    Crowd chants of "You're not singing any more" :-)
  • Options
    TEL said:

The media here are a joke......they slaughter their athletes in the newspapers, got to feel a bit sorry for the younger ones......however, I think a few of them had the attitude that they just had to turn up and pick up the gold. They got so "bigged" up that some couldn't possibly ever live up to the populations over inflated expectations.

I've had to switch off the commentary a few times......they really big up the Pom/good old Aussie rivalry even when we aren't competing against each other......Mo Farrah on now, they had to get in that he is actually Somalian......incredible when you look at their very multicultural heritage.

In my opinion, the Aussues don't do themselves any favours, the don't lose well which can be an asset, but they simply don't have an ounce of grace.

They will bounce back though. I found myself willing the Russian women's basketball players yesterday against my adopted country......I love it here but you do get sick of the Aussie this, the Aussie that, pounded into you 24/7 and the constant sniping at these big sporting events.

TEL said:

The media here are a joke......they slaughter their athletes in the newspapers, got to feel a bit sorry for the younger ones......however, I think a few of them had the attitude that they just had to turn up and pick up the gold. They got so "bigged" up that some couldn't possibly ever live up to the populations over inflated expectations.

I've had to switch off the commentary a few times......they really big up the Pom/good old Aussie rivalry even when we aren't competing against each other......Mo Farrah on now, they had to get in that he is actually Somalian......incredible when you look at their very multicultural heritage.

In my opinion, the Aussues don't do themselves any favours, the don't lose well which can be an asset, but they simply don't have an ounce of grace.

They will bounce back though. I found myself willing the Russian women's basketball players yesterday against my adopted country......I love it here but you do get sick of the Aussie this, the Aussie that, pounded into you 24/7 and the constant sniping at these big sporting events.

Agreed Tel.
    They also have been critical on the games themselves, and how the london olympics have tried to emulate the Sydney games, and the 'poms' have done an ok job at it. That really pissed me off when I heard that!
    There not the smartest of races either, the first 'settlers' were thieves and whores, and they haven't really lifted there game since those colonial days.
    But I love living here, it's an easy life!
  • Options
    I've been here in Oz for nearly 8 months now and I completely agree about being bad losers. They only like to be associated with winning teams.

I've been to a few NRL (rugby league) and Super15 (rugby union) games and it was just like being at Charlton during the Parky years. I heard people at the matches saying that they won't go and support them any more if they are just going to lose which is a pretty dumb thing to say.

Strangely, it only takes one win and all the previous losses are forgotten and back they come with the same high expectations and enthusiasm.... until they lose again and then the cycle repeats itself.

• Options
    Looks like they will win a gold in the sailing today so could storm into 16th place.
  • Options
    I heard people at the matches saying that they won't go and support them any more if they are just going to lose which is a pretty dumb thing to say.

Strangely, it only takes one win and all the previous losses are forgotten and back they come with the same high expectations and enthusiasm.... until they lose again and then the cycle repeats itself.

That sounds like every football fan in this country.
  • Options
    What is 120mm in diameter, silver and currently collecting dust?

The Australian National anthem cd.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    They were bad losers at the cricket in Sydney and Melbourne in 2010/11. Majority left at lunch most days as soon as they knew it was going wrong and they never came back. They used to be there all cocky on the first day, ripping it out of our players, then left early calling their own players useless. Shame they didn't get to see our song for Johnson.

I know its not an olympic sport, but they sure as hell hate to be losing.
  • Options
    i think they will manage 5 golds in the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This makes our success the bit sweeter! The bad winners and even worse losers. They've had it good for so long and now are whinging like a pom!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/london-games/money-the-difference-between-olympic-silver-and-gold-says-aoc-chief-kevan-gosper/story-e6frgdg6-1226443802086
  • Options
    "Green & Gold" ?
    Green & Bronze IF they're lucky.
  • Options
    I even want the French to beat the Aussies.
  • Options

Steady!
  • Options

Bunny said:

I always think that living in Australia must be like being trapped in a room with immature and rather stupid 14 year old boys.

lol......this comment comes from a man who watches f*****g Millwall. Still I suppose it gives you an advantage in recognising immaturity.
    Oz is a great place to live with fantastic people. It doesn't all revolve around sport.

I think you'll find that Bunny is a lady.

• Options
    Off_it said:

Steady!

I know Offy, it is a worry.

• Options
    In the resepct of always wanting to win I find Aussies similar to Americans it is noticeable with my US colleagues that they are only interested in sports or events where they are almost certain to win a good example is the Ryder Cup in the US the interest isn't there any more since we continually stuffed them. As for the Aussies I understand a lot of their funding has been pulled hence the standard has dropped.
  • Options
    Just been on the radio that Yorkshire has won more medals than all of Oz.
  • Options
    (1984) said:
    Just e-mailed him, asking to point me in the direction of his follow up article.

Notice they closed the comments pretty quickly, quite a few Aussies giving him stick too, to be fair.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another article on this just posted on BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19165636

including...

"How [the] world stole the brains behind Australian sport", blares a headline in Sydney's Daily Telegraph, which notes that "Australian coaches are giving Australians black eyes all over London".
  • Options
    G'day ?
  • Options

Bunny said:

I always think that living in Australia must be like being trapped in a room with immature and rather stupid 14 year old boys.

lol......this comment comes from a man who watches f*****g Millwall. Still I suppose it gives you an advantage in recognising immaturity.
    Oz is a great place to live with fantastic people. It doesn't all revolve around sport.

I think you'll find that Bunny is a lady.

Quote Bunny:

....."Nowadays I feel perfectly safe out and about - again, probably down to age. I'm in my 30s, pretty fit, 6 foot 2, 15 stone and I off the radar of most would be trouble makers, as I guess I'm a bit like the 'goat', not looking for trouble & probably not worth the effort - for now...maybe I wont feel so cocky as I get older."......

I agree Gilbert from the photos i've seen of female Millwall fans

:-)

• Options

Hang your head in shame. The Aussies have only got one chip on their shoulder.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Do the the French have fries?
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Addickted said:

Do the the French have fries?
    Yes, on their lubbish tucks
  • Options
    Sally Pearson just won the hurdles for the Oz, worth catching to see her reaction when it was confirmed she had won.
    Duty bound to point out she done her last five weeks training in London, some of the magic obviously rubbed off :-)
  • Options
    English mum as well
  • Options

Sally Pearson just won the hurdles for the Oz, worth catching to see her reaction when it was confirmed she had won.
    Duty bound to point out she done her last five weeks training in London, some of the magic obviously rubbed off :-)

South west London, Shepherds Bush no doubt.
  • Options
    Earls Court surely!