Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How safe do you feel?

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Think confidence and a the ability to make any potential attackers laugh diffuses a lot of situations. Although not in London atm, I've found when approached acting friendly and not defensive doesn't egg them on. People mug/attack other people for "fun" mostly, part of the fun is watching another person shit themselves with fear or to get them really angry to course a big "fight". If you do neither and act fairly jolly I've found that it diffuses a couple of situations. This obviously doesn't really apply if you're walking through a dodgy estate at 2 in the morning.

Example, I was coming back from uni with my big suitcase a few weeks ago, it was about 10pm and there were some "yoots" drunk down an empty street who were shouting and trying to intimidate a couple of people in front of me. I walked passed them, one of them said "want help with your bag mate?!" and I turned and smiled and said "well... yeah, actually if you're offering that would be cool, I just live round the corner". Took the guy aback as he was obviously trying to act billy big nuts in front of a couple of girls that were there. Ended up having a quick chat, said I had just come back from uni, the guy said he would have loved to have gone to uni. I just told him he definitely could if he worked hard enough and told him to have a good night and left. This is in Tunbridge Wells, mind you, but you'd be surprised how quickly peoples mindset changes as some one said above.

If not, hit them as hard as you can (if they really go in for something) and run like the wind, if theres a group of them, run like the wind.
  • Options

Think confidence and a the ability to make any potential attackers laugh diffuses a lot of situations. Although not in London atm, I've found when approached acting friendly and not defensive doesn't egg them on. People mug/attack other people for "fun" mostly, part of the fun is watching another person shit themselves with fear or to get them really angry to course a big "fight". If you do neither and act fairly jolly I've found that it diffuses a couple of situations. This obviously doesn't really apply if you're walking through a dodgy estate at 2 in the morning.

Example, I was coming back from uni with my big suitcase a few weeks ago, it was about 10pm and there were some "yoots" drunk down an empty street who were shouting and trying to intimidate a couple of people in front of me. I walked passed them, one of them said "want help with your bag mate?!" and I turned and smiled and said "well... yeah, actually if you're offering that would be cool, I just live round the corner". Took the guy aback as he was obviously trying to act billy big nuts in front of a couple of girls that were there. Ended up having a quick chat, said I had just come back from uni, the guy said he would have loved to have gone to uni. I just told him he definitely could if he worked hard enough and told him to have a good night and left. This is in Tunbridge Wells, mind you, but you'd be surprised how quickly peoples mindset changes as some one said above.

If not, hit them as hard as you can (if they really go in for something) and run like the wind, if theres a group of them, run like the wind.

Lol, you'd probably have a different outcome elsewhere ;-)
  • Options
    Tunbridge Wells......he's more likely to have moonied you than thrown a right hander!
  • Options
    haha, yeah but the fella was still a little bit dodgy.
  • Options
    First rule of fight club. Have it on yer dancers sharpish when thinks get moody.
  • Options
    Until the last month or two, the only bother I seemed to get was on a football pitch. For some reason, always turned into a monster, don't know why.

Been involved in a couple of incidents recently. Firstly, some cycle road-rage, was happily riding between Avert Hill and Blackfen on Blackfen Rd when I was attacked by a car passenger throwing a full unopened can of Coke at me. Luckily, it hit me in the ribs rather than the head otherwise I may not have been here to tell the tale. Totally unprovoked, no idea why, just happened.

3 young kids in the car, late teens, thought it was hilarious until they realised I'd soon caught them up due to being bloody quick along that stretch and they panicked when I pulled out the phone to take a pic of their reg number to report them.

Makes me very wary now. More and more incidents like this are happening. I really shouldn't need to ride with a helmet cam for my own safety!

Bit different I know, we'd all like to throttle those that go thru red lights and such but no one should be acting like that!
  • Options
    edited August 2012

From my perspective, I feel safe as houses where I live. York has it's scumbags but they tend to be the chavvy urchin type who'll stick to robbing each other rather than average Joe on the street. Knife crime is rare and I can't remember the last time there was a firearms incident.
    You have to be a bit wary on a night in the centre because the city attracts a lot of stag and hen do's, especially Geordies. If the races are on it can get tasty but I don't go out much now anyway, would rather stay in with the missus, DVD and a takeaway.
    Working in a maximum security prison I should, I guess, feel unsafe but I don't. I've seen some pretty disturbing stuff in my time, intervened in gang fights and attended near riots but I don't feel under threat when I'm on the landings. It helps that the prisoners are content to squabble amongst themselves rather than bother staff but the threat of disorder is always there.
    Like others have said though I fret about those I know. My good lady when she's out and perhaps more so my daughter who has just started living her life from under the watchful eyes of her mum and me. She's off to University in September so that will be a worry for sure especially as I know all too well exactly what kind of creatures are out there. I've drummed it into her the dangers out there and she's not a daft kid so I'm not too unduly worried but I'll still be dreading the phone call in the middle of the night.

Anyway, don't have nightmares.

V.true, just came back from a few days up there, nearly kicked off left right and centre
  • Options
    Pelham123 said:

First rule of fight club. Have it on yer dancers sharpish when things get moody.

• Options
    The thing that has saddened me the most about this thread is to learn that the beautiful city of York is a popular stag do destination.
  • Options
    Bunny said:

The thing that has saddened me the most about this thread is to learn that the beautiful city of York is a popular stag do destination.

Was up there for the Ebor festival last year.

The place was full of gypsys, all looking for a fight with 'non travellers'. And that was just the women.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bunny said:

Due to the proliferation of cheap hotels in the city centre, it has become attractive to stag / hen parties. They need to address the stag / hen do issue because otherwise they will start losing other visitors and it will become like Blackpool.
    Addickted said:

Bunny said:

Was up there for the Ebor festival last year.

The place was full of gypsys, all looking for a fight with 'non travellers'. And that was just the women.
    As I understand it Henry Wharton (ex heavyweight boxer) was allegedly attacked with a machete & a car the other weekend outside York. To provide balance, Mr Wharton stated that he sustained the injuries playing football.

Despite the above York is a great city, a fact demonstrated by surveys that say it is the city more English people would like to live in than any other.
  • Options
    Then why don't they?
  • Options

Then why don't they?

Because apart from the shithole areas it's bloody expensive! And apparently all the houses still have outside lavs ; )
  • Options
    Sorry to shatter your illusions Bunny but tis true. Most of the parties come to the city from the North East so even if the locals make them welcome then it's not uncommon for lads from Newcastle to have a tear up with lads from say Darlington. Plus as Addickted points out there's always the travelling fraternity to mix it with. Henry Wharton mixes in some 'interesting' circles to be sure.
    SheffieldRed is right, it does need to be addressed as it is a problem but I'm not sure if the will is there. York is pretty much flatlining economically so to discourage any kind of visitor wouldn't be welcomed by local businesses. It is a dilemma but what do you do?

Personally I would encourage more hen parties cos there's not much finer than a group of sturdy thighed Geordie lasses (not) dressed to impress!
  • Options
    I'm so glad I visited Prague in 1996 and York in 1999 - before these fine places were on the radar of stags.